Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

15 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Groundcrew is determined to make itself South End’s thirsty beaver. They will not sell, will not put a proper sidewalk in front of their building and will not do anything along the rail trail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The long apartment is called “the hub” by Ram. The small white adaptive reuse is called “Rampart Crossing”

UGH. That building has got to go. 

Thanks for the update! 

UGH. That building has got to go. 
Thanks for the update! 

Truth. It’s going to look even weirder than Thirsty beaver too maybe. Wedges between 145’ Ashton on the left, 225+ ft 2151 Hawkins on the right. Compared to 80’ apartment buildings around Thirsty Beaver. Going to always be in shadow.

On 11/2/2019 at 12:00 PM, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

Truth. It’s going to look even weirder than Thirsty beaver too maybe. Wedges between 145’ Ashton on the left, 225+ ft 2151 Hawkins on the right. Compared to 80’ apartment buildings around Thirsty Beaver. Going to always be in shadow.

I’m sure the owner thinks that he/she is sticking it to the big, bad developer by not selling, but now holds a property with effectively no value. What a shame for all.

11 hours ago, ATL said:

I’m sure the owner thinks that he/she is sticking it to the big, bad developer by not selling, but now holds a property with effectively no value. What a shame for all.

Yup, same with TB and same with Newton and Newton. They're only doing themselves and their families a disservice, they are the only ones they are stickin it to. I hate when local social justice warriors hoorah them for not selling, because while I appreciate the sentiment, they are only hurting themselves long term.

• Like 1

What about the property at the Southwest Corner of Hawkins and West Tremont?  Anyone know of plans for it? 

Also, is there a chance that Carolina Foods relocates from South End? 

I know it's no priority, but I'd have no issue living next to and growing the neighborhood with adjacent Industrial uses, but I wish such uses would be open to a few small steps to soften their image and create a little more aesthetic congruity.

West Tremont and Hawkins.JPG

Edited by Robert Antoine
  • Like 3

the Portman towers site today and the building that [mention=17104]ricky_davis_fan_21[/mention] said is the Thirsty Beaver of Southend.  Won't sell and will be surrounded by high rises.  But I say that adds character to the neighborhood. 
I remember when no one would be caught dead on Hawkins on Saturday.   Now  you have to get there early to find a one street parking space.   Not photographed  is the nearby HQ of Krispy Kreme and they were working today on their retail project.  

IMG_6875.thumb.JPG.22b2099b3b4328529395143338f26c1c.JPG
IMG_6882.thumb.JPG.4ac766e49fafee297c520541e3168ef4.JPG
IMG_6907.thumb.JPG.64b004ed0e0a6916cbc333b15ba93534.JPG
IMG_6908.thumb.JPG.9e637aa1481b00e56a399082b3787249.JPG

I won’t speak kindly about someone who won’t even let a sidewalk be built on their property, which is an eye sore, not character.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, tarhoosier said:

First known use was a Ryder Truck facility.

Shortly after I moved to Dilworth 20 years ago I had the opportunity to talk to the guy who grew up in (what is now) my house. He said “back when I lived there it was the kind of neighborhood you tried to get out of.” He was genuinely puzzled as to why I bought the place.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 3

I was robbed in daylight in front of my house in 1974 and the funny thing was I had no money. I had less than a dollar in change. I laughed at them (three of them) and they must have thought I was a psycho when I turned my pockets out and gave them the change. I walked away laughing maniacally. You look foolish robbing a penniless man.

Personal Safety is an attitude

In the mid 70's I was on Lyndhurst and there were apartments in the house at Lyndhurst and Kingston. Working girls lived there. The rest of us felt that a person has a right to make a living as one can. When the tractor trailers pulled up to the curb and kept running while he went inside, that was when we said stop. 

I can tell more but this is enough.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I do remember when Dilworth especially the first blocks closest to South Blvd was sketchy at best and I also remember when Fourth Ward was full of prostitutes and we little kids like I was at the time could view them from my aunt's apartment in high rise Edwin Towers.  In fact one of the biggest houses full of "shady ladies" was on N Poplar St and now has been restored to grandeur.

key fact  Neighborhoods change I have seen a lot in the last 30 years in town.  It does truly amaze me sometimes.  

In 1971-72 from Poplar to Graham was a spooky forest. Trees and spaces where houses had been and now overgrown with trash, shrubs, homeless and what have you. At dusk it absolutely looked to be the best place to toss a corpse. Fourth Ward Park, Booth Apartments, and the other now newer part of that neighborhood was vacant and abandoned. Those were true urban planet pioneers who made that renovation  happen.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tarhoosier said:

In 1971-72 from Poplar to Graham was a spooky forest. Trees and spaces where houses had been and now overgrown with trash, shrubs, homeless and what have you. At dusk it absolutely looked to be the best place to toss a corpse. Fourth Ward Park, Booth Apartments, and the other now newer part of that neighborhood was vacant and abandoned. Those were true urban planet pioneers who made that renovation  happen.

And now all of the people I know who live in Fourth Ward do nothing but complain about being victims of property crime (although one was threatened with violence recently). The homeless camp in the cemetery is a daily challenge for them.

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

And now all of the people I know who live in Fourth Ward do nothing but complain about being victims of property crime (although one was threatened with violence recently). The homeless camp in the cemetery is a daily challenge for them.

Yep. I no longer cut through Fourth Ward Park or Settler’s Cemetery, even during the day.  And I got cursed out by an aggressive homeless man walking home from work along 6th Street not 30 minutes ago.

I bought pepper spray to carry to and from work (I often work very late) and, as much as I never wanted to own a gun, I am seriously considering getting one to keep in my ground floor condo.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

It seems that people sometimes forget that they live in a city. Nobody deserves to have their car window smashed or be violated by somebody rummaging through your car but at the same time some people need to realize that they live in an urban area and shouldn't leave anything in their car. 

I always giggle to myself when I see nextdoor posts like "someone stole my golf clubs, laptop and $1000 in US currency from my car. I think I remembered to lock it but I'm not sure".  No sh*t, your car was parked on a city street with the door unlocked.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, a2theb said:

It seems that people sometimes forget that they live in a city. Nobody deserves to have their car window smashed or be violated by somebody rummaging through your car but at the same time some people need to realize that they live in an urban area and shouldn't leave anything in their car. 

I always giggle to myself when I see nextdoor posts like "someone stole my golf clubs, laptop and $1000 in US currency from my car. I think I remembered to lock it but I'm not sure".  No sh*t, your car was parked on a city street with the door unlocked.

I agree 100%.  In St. Louis, if you parked on the street you just took everything with you and left your doors unlocked.  Some mornings you would come back and your glove compartment would be open, but all the windows would be intact.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, a2theb said:

Why don't they have these problems in Tokyo or Singapore? 

In the case of Singapore, they actually enforce their laws. Next time you're there, try to buy weed. ;)

Edited by joenc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, joenc said:

Why don't they have these problems in Tokyo or Singapore? 

In the case of Singapore, they actually enforce their laws. Next time you're there, try to buy weed. ;)

Thank you.  I was going to make the same point!  We often assume that crime goes hand-in-hand with living in a city, but it DOES NOT.  Reference your two examples.  In Tokyo, I'm not aware of any severe laws, it's just a part of the culture that people don't steal.

14 hours ago, a2theb said:

That's like saying, "People in America have guns. They should expect they might get shot."

Besides, you shouldn't feel threatened simply by sitting on your front porch.

Edited by Miesian Corners
  • Thanks 2

actually I think it is okay they are staying  and as I have constantly lauded the Thirsty Beaver for holding its ground over in Plaza Midwood.  As you said we have lost many small businesses and recording studios like the one over at Central and Hawthorne in the old church  for an apartment complex that surrounded the Thirsty Beaver. 

• Like 2