Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

27 minutes ago, markeckert said:

Everyone is outraged by ground crew not moving etc.

I know all the guys that work there as I’ve done work there as well. I’m in the music industry. This is a legendary studio for voiceover and sound design. To name a few they did all the voiceover work for Cars, music for Homeland, and is the home of over 10 emmys and Tele awards.

Charlotte has lost well over half of the studios and venues to apartments or storage centers. Including where James Brown recorded Papas Got A Brand New Bag (yes that was done in charlotte - right were The Gibson in Plaza stands), where Whitney Houston did a few records (off of Monroe road), where REM recorded their first record. The reason why charlotte is not known for all of these records and artists? Everything they made music in has now been torn down.

its forgotten. And everything is beige.

Tremont, Double Door, Chop Shop, among many more venues have all been lost to apartments, when the majority of them could have been developed adjacent and around these venues. Similar to the Polk building - it was possible, but the developers didn’t care. Truly how wonderful would it have been to keep the Polk building? Now we get 14 stories of “whatever.” Same could absolutely be said about our cultural identity regarding these studios and venues.

Everyone on this forum constantly talks about how Nashville, Austin and other cities in our respective size gets more attention.

Nashville and Austin developers understand / or are forced into understanding (more likely) that these cultural sites / businesses are actually an asset for the neighborhood, drive local pride, and makes the neighborhood sexy. I am in Nashville right now on a business trip. Although they too have their own issues, the culture is important as hell here. They just kicked out a developer who was trying to buy up all the studios in Music Row.

Ground crew most likely doesn’t want a sidewalk because having construction noise directly in front of their building, while recording audio for a picky music supervisor in LA with a 3 hour deadline is a total pain in the ass to deal with. 

I understand everyone is annoyed, but this directly contradicts what everyone complains about in the other forum topics regarding Charlotte (culture, reputation to outsiders, etc.)

Audience starts with one or two people slow clapping followed by an eruption into thunderous applause, a standing ovation, and chants of MVP (most valuable post).

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Miesian Corners said:

That's like saying, "People in America have guns. They should expect they might get shot."

Besides, you shouldn't feel threatened simply by sitting on your front porch.

Yeah but I am referencing petty property crime not gun violence. Maybe I am jaded but I do expect that if I leave valuables visible in my car with the doors unlocked, they will be taken at some point.

Okay, I'm done. Good banter everyone. Apologies for dragging this thread way off track. 

23 hours ago, ertley said:

A specific example of something lost (that I didn't even realize until the other day) is the old Radio Center on South Boulevard, just above Hartford, across from that new Blue Line-adjacent development. (I discovered it when I was checking out that development.) The Radio Center is still visible on the Google Maps street view, and it was the coolest, almost oddest, '50s structure that anyone interested in midcentury modern should appreciate, especially because it had a touch of local/naive to it. Why could it have not been incorporated into plans for that large parcel that's now totally scraped for redevelopment? As a compromise, I'd even be happy to let developers take out the actual majority of a structure like that, if they only to keep the street facade. That Radio Center was low enough in height that it would have been totally easy to not only build behind but over its preserved facade. No imagination. 

Looked for something like that on google maps and couldn't find it. You got an address or a more specific description of where it is?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

Idk I have heard Lidl's US money problems have lead to a lot of sites that were planned to be sold off soon.

I'm going off a Katie Peralta quote from the developer in a tweet. She usually has some good insight into grocery stores, in particular. 

5 hours ago, Madison Parkitect said:

Looked for something like that on google maps and couldn't find it. You got an address or a more specific description of where it is?

image.png.e968756e5d1d2501dea4e52fffe272f6.png

It's only available on Street View, and then only intermittently--depending on exactly where you place the avatar, it's still there, gone, or surrounding by fencing for demolition--and soon all traces of it will be gone!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...