Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

35 minutes ago, CTiger said:

I like it solely because everytime that I have people visit Charlotte who have never been here before, they ask "What the hell is up with that pink building?"

Love it or hate it, you can't ignore it and it is certainly a unique feature in the skyline.

Yep. I love it. In a beige city, is great to have a pink skyscraper with a back story.

1 hour ago, CTiger said:

I like it solely because everytime that I have people visit Charlotte who have never been here before, they ask "What the hell is up with that pink building?"

Love it or hate it, you can't ignore it and it is certainly a unique feature in the skyline.

When I was preparing to move to Charlotte, the first thing I did (even before looking for housing) was to find a school for my toddler.  We found the Charlotte Montessori on East Blvd., which is magnificent.  However, when I was looking for the school, I saw that ridiculous looking pink building.  I hate it.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Camden and Worthington have UMUD, so crossing my fingers for new South End tallest there.

I'm hearing 300k of office will be going there.... So mayyyybe could be 20 floors if the site is small enough

I guess here is my question about this building and its location.  Will they start it on spec or will they need an anchor to start it?  I know Portman has Chinese financing partners which is what they did with 615 South College bldg. so I guess they could start without an anchor.  

My other question is I think it is off main kinda of location.  Though within 2 blocks of LYNX E-W station it is on a side street.   Don't get me wrong I am all for it if it can be done.    I mean Krispy Kreme would be a corporate neighbor enough said. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I guess here is my question about this building and its location.  Will they start it on spec or will they need an anchor to start it?  I know Portman has Chinese financing partners which is what they did with 615 South College bldg. so I guess they could start without an anchor.  

My other question is I think it is off main kinda of location.  Though within 2 blocks of LYNX E-W station it is on a side street.   Don't get me wrong I am all for it if it can be done.    I mean Krispy Kreme would be a corporate neighbor enough said. 

NEVERMIND DELETE

Edited by Guest

Just now, KJHburg said:

This is on Hawkins right I do agree Camden Ave is retail main street after South Blvd but more walkable. 

yea ignore that I thought you were talking about Worthington/Camden.

Personally I think opposition to this building will come mainly from the Hawkins location. Its just not a street that can support this. That said, I think its a very serious possibility that we get a train stop literally right at this buildings back door, and an at grade crossing straight to Atherton. I've heard the train station is basically a done deal, for what its worth. 

So when it was first proposed was it not pink glass?

Legend has it the pink was a big f.uck you to the Dilworth neighborhood that kept it from happening. This site has a long history, wouldn’t have been built had it not been for a suspicious fire taking down a historic building.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“In 1997, Jim Gross, the developer of The Arlington, decided he was going to tear down an old building called Park Elevator and rebuild something on the patch of land. Despite his efforts, he couldn’t get the zoning right, so he didn’t get the land.

Conveniently enough, Park Elevator burned to the ground, and although arson was never confirmed, a flammable chemical substance was found at the site.

So Gross got his way, and made plans to break ground on a 42-story condominium that would offer a brand new style of living to the city with 14,000 square feet of retail space, 23,000 square feet of offices and 121 townhomes with room to park.

The Dilworth Community Development Corporation wasn’t having it; it wasn’t what they were promised, and the building would manage overwhelm the efforts to preserve South End’s history and overpower most of the skyline at the same time.

But Gross once again got his way and got a nice dig toward the Dilworth Community Development Corporation that’s seen every single day: he made the building as tall as possible and then installed bright pink windows.”

8 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

“In 1997, Jim Gross, the developer of The Arlington, decided he was going to tear down an old building called Park Elevator and rebuild something on the patch of land. Despite his efforts, he couldn’t get the zoning right, so he didn’t get the land.

Park Elevator building... this one, hmm?

park elevator.jpeg

park elevator 2.jpeg

• Like 3

After the fire I had forgotten about that,  Dilworth neighborhood association fought this vigorously.  Despite everyone saying this was a future light rail line and we wanted increased density, no one wanted this increased density.  People opposed it even though the would not be able to see it from their homes.  It reminds me of the NAI Carolantic tower fight just recently at 3rd and Baldwin.  

And yes Charlotte legend is the choice of Desert Rose aka pink glass was in response to DCA opposition.  I have been in several of the units and the glass even from the inside is weird but the views are spectacular.   This tower was built way before its time in terms of high rise outside of uptown.   It is today the tallest tower outside of uptown.

Back to Portman's project, won't this be a more podium style building with parking above ground level then the tower above it due to site constraints or a tower with the parking deck next to it?  It just looks like a small site.  

• Like 4