Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

This permit just got filed:

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=433005069

First tenant upfit, though certainly the tenant name is a pseudonym.  Contacts are leasing broker and architects at Redline.

Edit:  though certainly if it was the global headquarters of a chocolate factory, i wouldn't be upset at all!  Wonka bars across from the donut vending machine!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

This permit just got filed:

https://webpermit.mecklenburgcountync.gov/Default.aspx?PossePresentation=Project&PosseObjectId=433005069

First tenant upfit, though certainly the tenant name is a pseudonym.  Contacts are leasing broker and architects at Redline.

Edit:  though certainly if it was the global headquarters of a chocolate factory, i wouldn't be upset at all!  Wonka bars across from the donut vending machine!!

Golden Ticket?   maybe someone from the Golden State of California?  Interesting.....  

• Like 1

23 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Golden Ticket?   maybe someone from the Golden State of California?  Interesting.....  

Recently Brian Brtalik reprensented Cyxtera in subleasing 60,000 in Dallas, which is unusual for him, he has almost exclusively been in the Charlotte area. Maybe Lumen Technologies ( who acquired Cyxtera) and is currently based in Monroe, LA is looking to move to CLT? Wild speculation, but throwing it out there.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

Maybe Cedar Fair HQ?

Golden Ticket is annual award for best new amusement park ride each year.

that could be it.  I just heard they hired a new Charlotte based exec today CIO I think. 

Cedar Fair - Cedar Fair Hires Ty Tastepe as Senior Vice President and Chief Information Officer

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, kermit said:

The only thing I see when looking at photos of this building is a massive amount of non-revenue producing space.

I'm not really familiar with the building codes, is this a product of parking minimums or just the developer feeling like they need to provide them?  From what I can tell the TOD zones have parking maximums, but they can be exceeded by an amount based on some factors.  In my quick search I couldn't tell if there are parking minimums for this zoning (TOD-MO, according to Polaris).  

Unfortunately many people think of land use as something that makes revenue and not everything necessarily has to follow a revenue stream. Parks are assets but very rarely do parks ever make revenue. As much as I wish Charlotte could get rid of parking around its core especially…the transportation options to its core and within it (to a lesser extent) are not mature enough to reduce our significant reliance on cars. Therefore, parking decks are necessary for the office commuters…Transit coverage and reliability seem to be a lacking aspect in the Charlotte Area, but really the rest of the Southeast. So until Charlotte has a robust, expansive, well maintained, and reasonable infrastructure for the transit system, these parking decks and more unappealing parking surface lots will be popping up around Charlotte. This project truly does differ from 110 East although. Not only is it set back, but the parking deck itself is better designed to take advantage of its space with courtyards which I’d wish more parking decks would utilize. The space above could house a small urban park or solar panels which I know some decks have EV charging which would provide clean energy to EVs and decrease air pollution. Parking deck/roof top gardens/parks provide a surface that doesn’t absorb as much heat and reduces urban heat islands. Yeah it’s not great…but it is definitely better than whatever that parking deck design is for 110 East.

Edit: Paid Parking Garages do make revenue. Therefore a park wouldn’t be as profitable if any, yet most people would agree that a park depending on the circumstances would be much more of an asset than parking despite the fact the park does not make any revenue for the community. Same goes for the parking deck if privately owned. So it really comes down to aesthetic and value based on other aspects aside from how much money it makes.

Also forgot to mention that I am pretty sure a privately owned parking deck would still need to pay property taxes which technically does make money for the community or the city as a whole…if I’m not mistaken.

5 minutes ago, JeanClt said:

Unfortunately many people think of land use as something that makes revenue and not everything necessarily has to follow a revenue stream. Parks are assets but very rarely do parks ever make revenue. As much as I wish Charlotte could get rid of parking around its core especially…the transportation options to its core and within it (to a lesser extent) are not mature enough to reduce our significant reliance on cars. Therefore, parking decks are necessary for the office commuters…Transit coverage and reliability seem to be a lacking aspect in the Charlotte Area, but really the rest of the Southeast. So until Charlotte has a robust, expansive, well maintained, and reasonable infrastructure for the transit system, these parking decks and more unappealing parking surface lots will be popping up around Charlotte. This project truly does differ from 110 East although. Not only is it set back, but the parking deck itself is better designed to take advantage of its space with courtyards which I’d wish more parking decks would utilize. The space above could house a small urban park or solar panels which I know some decks have EV charging which would provide clean energy to EVs and decrease air pollution. Parking deck/roof top gardens/parks provide a surface that doesn’t absorb as much heat and reduces urban heat islands. Yeah it’s not great…but it is definitely better than whatever that parking deck design is for 110 East.

I believe this Portman building does a ot of that. the top of the Garage is a park for the building, there are multiple levels of terracing off the garage as well for public spaces. Sycamore gets a massive one on their second story. 

• Like 3