Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

• 3 weeks later...

10 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

I like the black, a lot! The original renderings showed a burnt orange or rust color for the facade... A little disappointed we didn't end up with a jawa sandcrawler in the middle of south end. But the black does look sharp!

1031346057_2151Hawkins_View1.thumb.jpg.eefdae1de21df2d585d0e3e065618208.jpg

We've got Vantage! It might not be sand color, but tell me the Sand Crawler wasn't at least a little bit of inspiration

• Like 1

Besides the color differences, the rendering also depicted a lush oasis of trees that makes the building look much softer and natural... probably a little "overselling" how lush it would be. The reality is there are not going to be 10 mature trees along the rail trail as they built the building flush against the trail and the upper level balcony spaces are smaller than the original rendering. We are not going to have a mini botanical garden up there.

Does anybody know what type of landscaping is planned for the small planter trip between the rail tracks and the newly paved rail trail through this area? Some of the other planter strips along the trail look to have the Emerald Green Arborvitae evergreen that has a relatively narrow width of 3 - 4 feet to avoid overhanging the light rail wires / trains. Mature height of 10 - 15 feet. 

Edited by CLT2014

35 minutes ago, JBS said:

It's a good project that is suffering from comparison to great renderings. If you like the renderings, you probably love the Dimensional project (I know I do).

The biggest issue is lack of street and rail trail interaction and the 1980's Church street quality parking deck. The side of the building has the character of the back side of a strip mall loading dock.

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 1

So weirdly it seems Northeastern University is moving it's graduate school campus here from 101 N Tryon.

Weird because this is pretty inconvenient to what I assume was core student base of bankers and Honeywell/Duke HQ employees, which is why I thought they chose Trade/Tryon in the first place.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, atlrvr said:

So weirdly it seems Northeastern University is moving it's graduate school campus here from 101 N Tryon.

Weird because this is pretty inconvenient to what I assume was core student base of bankers and Honeywell/Duke HQ employees, which is why I thought they chose Trade/Tryon in the first place.

This is fantastic news if true. I hated that they were taking up such prime retail space on the square. 

Moving closer to where those students live instead of where they work? Especially since work from home/hybrid schedules aren’t going away?
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, TCLT said:

Moving closer to where those students live instead of where they work? Especially since work from home/hybrid schedules aren’t going away?

I think it is a great move for Northeastern for many reasons including the above.  Even if you work or live uptown you can always take the train down to your class. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The rendering of the apartment building is beautiful, but did they decide to ditch the 2nd, 4th, and 7th floor green terraces on The Line?  That'd be terribly disappointing.  Maybe they were just rushing through the rendering?  Seems like it'd be counterproductive to "undersell" the building "next door" that they would all be looking down on. 

47 minutes ago, Rossario said:

The rendering of the apartment building is beautiful, but did they decide to ditch the 2nd, 4th, and 7th floor green terraces on The Line?  That'd be terribly disappointing.  Maybe they were just rushing through the rendering?  Seems like it'd be counterproductive to "undersell" the building "next door" that they would all be looking down on. 

Was wondering the same thing. On the other hand, the color scheme of the building doesn't match what has been built so apparently we shouldn't put too much stock in the rendering. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rossario said:

Its just simply a different group within the same company, with different priorities, a different budget, a different equity partner, and someone likely said "don't waste your time rendering in those trees"

• Like 3