Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

this rezoning was approved last night.  Now the interesting part will it be started without a tenant or do they have a tenant?

this is pretty much the approved site plan with the massing and so forth.

http://ww.charmeck.org/Planning/Rezoning/2018/137-152/2018-144 site plan 4th rev.pdf

They do not have a tenant

And Honeywell wants to go on Mint facing a football stadium (allegedly) and backing up to a massive parking garage? If my employers anchored this, I'd happy as hell and I'm not even a millennial living in South End.

I do get the draw backs on not being right off the freeway and not being uptown, but still. 

Edited by Bruco72
  • Like 1

Just now, CLT704 said:

I'm worried about value engineering because woah momma that's a good looking building.

So far, value engineering is really only a problem with residential and hotels.  Office Buildings don't usually shave stuff off. 

Seems similar to the Portman Beltline project in Atlanta, which has turned out just as the rendering looks, really handsome. I saw an initial rendering for Atlanta that VERY closely resembled the Ashton/Sycamore rendering.

The beltline project is Kroger and Hotel, but it WASN'T value engineered.

image.thumb.png.9169913f0f854842e3995c3b0edb8002.pngPo

Edited by CarolinaDaydreamin
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

This looks so hot but also so expensive. I'm skeptical it happens.

I liked the design of the Baldwin and 3rd tower and it has not happened yet either.  I hope this one gets built but I wonder if they will wait for an anchor tenant.  However Portman started 615 S College on spec with their Chinese partner then sold it after it got leased  up.    This should be interesting to watch. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

When this thing is finished, Sycamore is going to print money. So much money, that the cash will fill up the place, floor to ceiling, and nobody will be able to get in.

Dont they already do this?

I know sycamore isnt that old but I bet they rebuild this property and add a big kitchen and more indoor seating at some point very soon.  Saturdays are a zoo there. They need more bars

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I liked the design of the Baldwin and 3rd tower and it has not happened yet either.  I hope this one gets built but I wonder if they will wait for an anchor tenant.  However Portman started 615 S College on spec with their Chinese partner then sold it after it got leased  up.    This should be interesting to watch. 

Yea but comparing 3rd and Baldwin to this, is like comparing a rock, to a meteor, sure they both might resemble each other, but they couldn't be more different.

3rd and Baldwin is big tall building in a neighborhood with absolutely no direction, and they are taking a huge risk to try to be the ones that catalyze that neighborhood.

Portman, on the other hand, is riding through space, trapped in the gravity of SouthEnd, ready to make a big splash on the urban landscape of a quickly changing neighborhood.

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

You ought to be a writer with your metaphors like that above.  

damn, I changed what I wrote while you were responding.

But yea, I've talked to Portman at length about this project, and so has @Jayvee I give it a 85% chance of happening.

Edited by Guest

This is a cool project, and the renderings make it look like it will be high quality which is reassuring.  I think having office on this strip will be good for businesses in this area as well, and will be great for everything popping up along Tremont.  It could even be a catalyst for redevelopment on the other side of Hawkins where there are mostly just barbed wire fences, gravel lots, and old warehouses.  It would be great if that area could transform into a continuation of the developments going on in the area.

Question - Are there currently plans to widen Hawkins?  It is already often a traffic mess, and this large of a development would cause it to get ugly fast.

2 minutes ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

No way. We need to get away from the "widening" mentality. Heavier pedestrian traffic should be the focus, not more cars in a pedestrian area.

I wasn't referring to adding more lanes.  Right now it isn't even wide enough for two cars to pass eachother if there are cars parked on the street.  I think it would be necessary to enhance Hawkins so that on-street parking is better and cars can at least get up and down without having to wait for one another to pass.  

Trust me I'm the furthest from an advocate for adding lanes, especially in areas adjacent to public transport.

• Like 1

They would have to be offered some kind of pile of cash to pushed out of there. They have one of the best locations in the city and longterm they could probably make more money selling beer than what the property is worth. Just depends on how committed to longterm they are. Money always talks.

• Like 1