Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

7 minutes ago, DavieNative said:

They would have to be offered some kind of pile of cash to pushed out of there. They have one of the best locations in the city and longterm they could probably make more money selling beer than what the property is worth. Just depends on how committed to longterm they are. Money always talks.

They paid 2.6m for the current location (plus they have a production brewery I think they rent) so unless they were independently wealthy, they likely have some partners in the deal that may have a big say.  

If I were them, I would pay down all my debt, buy out my partners, and set up my retirement plan for 2030 when the area is bursting at the seams. 

3 minutes ago, InSouthPark said:

So unless they were independently wealthy.

They came from a pretty well to do family. Not sure if that means anything though.

Edited by Guest

I thought I read a long time ago that they had expansion plans already, including  a rooftop aspect.  I may have been thinking of another brewery, but I thought it was pertaining to Sycamore.  With this potential tower, they would be very smart to open a kitchen for the lunch crowd.  Also, they attract big crowds on a consistent basis, whether it's a big event or just a nice day but they need to expand the restroom capacity asap lol.

This is really nice.  It looks like something that might rise in the Meat Packing District or along the High Line in a city whose mere name is taboo which cannot be mentioned.  It's kind of like the mere utterance of the "Holiest of Holies." 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Haha 4

8 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Is Sycamore so popular because there is something unique about them, or because the tiny lot/street always makes it look busy? :rolleyes:

(Serious question: I stopped drinking before I ever made it over there)

Its definitely not a tiny lot. Its no Olde Meck, but its very large.

12 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Is Sycamore so popular because there is something unique about them, or because the tiny lot/street always makes it look busy? :rolleyes:

In my humble opinion:

-Perfect location

-Were one of the first to really focus on the tap room and outdoor space.  Craft beer taprooms were historically more like Triple C's old room until the last few years.

-Had money to spend on branding and marketing

-Brewed a lot of lighter beers that are more popular with women (typically, not always)

-Where 20 something women go, 20 something men will follow (especially if there's beer)

-Embraced events and things like food truck friday after it was displaced

Their beer is good, but not great in my opinion, but they did everything else right 

Edited by Bruco72
typo
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, SgtCampsalot said:

To be perfectly candid it's because they have a very nice outdoor area, walkable for South End yuppies and tends to be patronized by good looking women (not that I would know of course).

• Like 1

image.thumb.png.a54e7bb17131c3afcf64a8698108fd51.png

Like guys. I really cannot reiterate enough. Rail Trail aint just a path anymore.  This asset along with the Light Rail is the greatest catalyst this city has ever fudgeing seen.

9 minutes ago, XRZ.ME said:

I hope the construction won't affect rail trail. Looks like the high rise is really close.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

At the closest point, it has a large buffer in excess of 25 feet from the existing rail trail. So what you are seeing as "close to the rail trail." is actually a large addition to the rail trail. The dinky little concrete path, is the existing railtrail.

1 hour ago, lancer22 said:

To be perfectly candid it's because they have a very nice outdoor area, walkable for South End yuppies and tends to be patronized by good looking women (not that I would know of course).

Yep.  Beer is fine.  The scenery outside is what people come for.  The outside space is perfectly positioned for shade in summer evenings with just enough sun in winter.  Beautiful women in sun dresses with their dog and the bro's will always follow. 

They just need to keep that momentum tho.  A two year construction project throwing dust everywhere might turn the pretty people away.  And I can tell you no one is coming to hang out inside the taproom (probably my least favorite space in town).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, SgtCampsalot said:

Any word on whether those outdoor terraces (on the 2nd, 4th floors, etc) will be public as part of retail? Asking for a friend who already knows the answer but wanted to ask anyway.

I know first two are. I've had early renderings with a rooftop deck as well for a while. This  probably has a shot too still. 

image.thumb.png.82721f307d76a740fdf508a49c36a7e4.png 

Edited by Guest