Portman SouthEnd – Hawkins btw Ashton and Sycamore.

Just now, lancer22 said:

Spec

I can't wait to leave Atherton Market with groceries, and hop over to the food hall at the bottom of Hawkins and grab some Vietnamese. Pho Real, yum.

• 1 month later...

Hmm with the Lowes lease  at the Design Center wonder if they will indeed go spec and start?  Truist Bank is still looking for a place for the tech hub I think.  However with all these preleased buildings going up there is really not much space available for the 20-30K sq ft tenant that may be looking.  1st building of Spectrum preleased to Lendingtree, Lowes leased all of space in that tower, Railyard 100% leased basically, no room at Dimensional Funds so my bet is they may start it.   anyone else hear anything? 

• Like 3

Hmm with the Lowes lease  at the Design Center wonder if they will indeed go spec and start?  Truist Bank is still looking for a place for the tech hub I think.  However with all these preleased buildings going up there is really not much space available for the 20-30K sq ft tenant that may be looking.  1st building of Spectrum preleased to Lendingtree, Lowes leased all of space in that tower, Railyard 100% leased basically, no room at Dimensional Funds so my bet is they may start it.   anyone else hear anything? 

Tenant [emoji3581]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there rumors of other major tenants in the market to take a full building or become a major anchor? I thought Lowe’s was the last/most recent.

[emoji3581][emoji3581][emoji3581]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t know what that means? I see three squares in a row?

It was three check marks, meaning at least three companies. There’s still some medium fish who can take a big chunk out of places like Portman and Beacon, and there’s a few out of market people taking serious looks at a large anchor tenant sized charlotte presence.

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

It was three check marks, meaning at least three companies. There’s still some medium fish who can take a big chunk out of places like Portman and Beacon, and there’s a few out of market people taking serious looks at a large anchor tenant sized charlotte presence.

Ahh must be my iPad then. There are a lot of tenants in the 1-3 floors range from what I understand. Haven’t heard of anyone new out of town looking for major space, though. Care to divulge any info?

5 minutes ago, ATL said:

Ahh must be my iPad then. There are a lot of tenants in the 1-3 floors range from what I understand. Haven’t heard of anyone new out of town looking for major space, though. Care to divulge any info?

Yes there are a ton of single floor and half floor tenants in the market  (5K-25K sf). The issue with leasing up a building this way is that the credit of your tenants isusually less  than optimal and you end up with a lot of funky space that is less desirable after cutting it up every which way. Demand is so through the roof right now in South End that I'm confident you could lease up a building within 6 months of delivery to these smaller guys with no issue.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Yes there are a ton of single floor and half floor tenants in the market  (5K-25K sf). The issue with leasing up a building this way is that the credit of your tenants isusually less  than optimal and you end up with a lot of funky space that is less desirable after cutting it up every which way. Demand is so through the roof right now in South End that I'm confident you could lease up a building within 6 months of delivery to these smaller guys with no issue.

I’m with you on there being very strong demand in the range you stated. Me saying three floors was a mistake as that’s an anchor tenant for many buildings depending on the floor plate.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Not good in the econ development world to talk about out of town companies expanding until it is really close to happening.  Too many last minute things can happen.  Case in point.  No one and I mean no one breathed a word about Allstate before they announced a 2250 job expansion in Charlotte.  Loose lips do sink ships in econ development business and the charade of Amazon HQ2 was not the norm by any means. Charlotte is very attractive due to our cost of living, people moving here, labor pool, weather, location, airport,  cost of office space etc.   and we are not too big a city (think the ATL to the south or not too small a city either)   2nd half of the year is when more companies announce remember the 4th quarter last year and how the job announcements piled up locally and across the state. 

I really want to see more out of market companies moving to CLT so that we have more jobs and business diversity.  I know it’s history, but still wish we would have landed AllianceBerstein and Costar.

• 4 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, atlrvr said:

One of these was announced today.  Sounds like my job estimate was slightly low, as the other one is definitely bigger than 100 jobs.  Would love to know where they ended up signing a lease.  This should probably also go in Good News thread.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/mufg-to-tap-into-charlotte-technology-and-risk-talent-with-new-office-300893273.html

MUFG, one of the world's leading financial groups, has opened an office in Charlotte, NC for its Operations & Technology for the Americas group, Americas Risk Management group, and other select functions.

"This is a very exciting opportunity for MUFG to establish a footprint in the Charlotte market," notes Chris Higgins, Chief Information & Operations Officer for the bank.  "This region is known for having a talented labor pool that is skilled in financial services and technology innovation and modernization, and we are looking to invest in this valuable resource.  Charlotte's proximity to leading-edge colleges and universities also makes it an inviting marketplace for identifying and hiring professionals early in their careers who are skilled in these areas.  This reflects MUFG's drive to be on the forefront of customer-centric technologies and related services."      

This space is aligned with MUFG's expansion and growth plans and will serve as an important eastern U.S. hub for experts in technology, engineering, data, risk management, and other functions.  Plans call for hiring approximately 300 positions in this space, with team members to be housed in a contemporary, open environment with close proximity to colleagues to foster meaningful relationships and drive innovation and collaboration.

The bank will undertake an intensive recruiting effort to build capabilities through the hiring of local talent in the Charlotte metropolitan area.

Looks like it'll be in Regions 615 (at WeWork) for the meantime

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/07/30/international-financial-group-opens-uptown-office.html

Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group Inc. (NYSE: MUFG) recently opened a new office in Charlotte as part of a plan to establish an eastern U.S. hub and create 300 jobs here.
The Charlotte office, in WeWork space at 615 S. College St. in uptown, will house MUFG's operations and technology and risk management groups for the Americas.

• Like 1

I had never even heard of this company, but I guess they are the "world's fifth largest bank".  Pretty cool for Charlotte, particularly if this is a market entry point and there are additional opportunities for expansion down the line.

MUFG.png.16502a55877e1b9e305421880ac0840f.png

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

I had never even heard of this company, but I guess they are the "world's fifth largest bank".  Pretty cool for Charlotte, particularly if this is a market entry point and there are additional opportunities for expansion down the line.

Their retail banking operations in the USA are branded "Union Bank" and mainly located in California, where they are #4 in deposit market share (after Chase and before Citibank). The vast majority of the company corporate parent's revenue is outside the USA though. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, J-Rob said:

If I am understanding you correctly, this will be their first entry into the Charlotte area, but this is not their first entry into the South. They have offices in Atlanta, Dallas, and Houston.  However, it appears this office will be the largest of the offices in the South. 

https://www.bk.mufg.jp/global/globalnetwork/americas/dallas.html

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Is this still going to be started as spec or do they have some tenants on board already? 

No idea about the answer to your question, but I'm looking forward to the food hall that will be included in this project. I really love what they've done with the building at Optimist Hall, but the food choices are lacking as far as I'm concerned. Regardless of what else opens, it's a bit small.

1 hour ago, jednc said:

No idea about the answer to your question, but I'm looking forward to the food hall that will be included in this project. I really love what they've done with the building at Optimist Hall, but the food choices are lacking as far as I'm concerned. Regardless of what else opens, it's a bit small.

As are the portions everywhere it seems. I've eaten at Zakku, Bao and Broth, and Dumpling Lady. I've spent $15+ at every place for lunch and left still hungry each time. I don't need to eat tons of food to be satisfied, but there simply isn't enough value for me to want to go back to these places.