Lansing getting a pro soccer team, let's light a fire under GR soccer supporters to get one here

GrSportsGuy

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, GrSportsGuy said:

^^^ @Pattmost20 and I are on the same page. He just types faster. LOL

Good luck to them. I watched a GRFC game at the Whitecaps Stadium and it was AWFUL. Bad sight lines, you were VERY far from the action, and the sod over the infield was SO bad, they would avoid bringing the ball down that side of the field. It became a 12th, 13th and 14th defender. One player tried to slide tackle and ended up UNDER the turf. Swallowed by the field. ;)

I'd much rather wait. It was just an overall lousy experience. Honestly, if Houseman didn't have the track (so the seats were closer to the field), and had a few more amenities (beer last year was a big step forward), I think it would be a perfect location for professional soccer. It has the old stadium vibe already built in. ;)

To move up, they start dealing with rules around not having football markings on the field. It'll be interesting to see how professional soccer in GR progresses.

Joe

Lansing resident, here.

It's certainly not the optimal set-up.  At the same time, Oldsmobile Park - I'll never call it anything else - is a bit more "squeezed" than most minor league parks given its urban setting.

Dqmjp-IUUAAa0wh.jpg

Also, to be clear, this didn't come out of nowhere.  It's been in the works for years.  Lansing Ignite succeeds minor league club Lansing United, whose homefield has been in the East Lansing Soccer Complex and which has atrracted a fanbase since 2014.  There has been some controversy about taking the team pro, but Ignite wants to build on the fanbase.  And with all of the new people downtown and those who come to Lugnut games, they will have quite the opportunity to do it.  Hopefully, they'll be able to get a big enough fan base to eventually built a small purpose built field somewhere else in downtown Lansing.

This is a good first step; I'm happy for them and as someone who'd never gone out to their games in East Lansing because it was too far, I will be attending games since they are now downtown.

Yeah, probably best to close this thread, now.  Shouldn't have been its own thread to begin with, especially not with that title.  I love Grand Rapids; it's one of the best cities its size in the country if you ask me.  I don't know why some of you feel the need to always bash other cities in the state; I don't see why what Grand Rapids has and what it's building can't be enough without always having to put down other places.  This is something I see here consistently.  I don't get it.

Stay klassy, GRLaker.

51 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

The truth hurts. I've been to their games as part of the Grand Army (GRFC supports group) GRLaker was being kind by suggesting 20. 

My initial post was unnecessarily harsh toward Lansing in general and their ability to support it. I edited it immediately after hitting submit, but he was likely responding to that since he responded 2 minutes after I posted it. But the point stands...Lansing may have beaten us to the punch, but the likelihood of them being able to maintain their status is very slim. We may have fallen behind in the sprint, but being successful at this requires you to run a marathon.

1 hour ago, Lmichigan said:

Yeah, probably best to close this thread, now.  Shouldn't have been its own thread to begin with, especially not with that title.  I love Grand Rapids; it's one of the best cities its size in the country if you ask me.  I don't know why some of you feel the need to always bash other cities in the state; I don't see why what Grand Rapids has and what it's building can't be enough without always having to put down other places.  This is something I see here consistently.  I don't get it.

Stay klassy, GRLaker.

I agree, the title is just meant to provoke animosity, IMHO. 

I hope Lansing's soccer team is successful.  Maybe it will light a fire under GR and make GRFC join the same league.  Apparently,  GR has a rivalry with Lansing now according to this thread.  Seems like a good fit for both cities.

You guys need to look at the attendance of the world cup final party and quit sleeping on soccer. (from a European ;)

The biggest issue with Lansing going pro was that it was a new team to the market and not the existing team moving up. I am all for GRFC going pro but I'd hate for some owner with money coming in and starting a pro team without any attachments to the community. 

44 minutes ago, jonrapley said:

You guys need to look at the attendance of the world cup final party and quit sleeping on soccer. (from a European ;)

The biggest issue with Lansing going pro was that it was a new team to the market and not the existing team moving up. I am all for GRFC going pro but I'd hate for some owner with money coming in and starting a pro team without any attachments to the community. 

This isn't really correct.  Again, this basically a rebranding of Lansing United, a local amateur team.  The former owner (a local) is now simply being made the general manager.  The new owner is the owner of the Lansing Lugnuts, Tom Dickson, which is why their games will be played in Oldsmobile Park.  Dickson and the Lugnuts have been in Lansing for 22 years. 

I don't know if this is going to be successful; the plan is kind of to cross-promote the two teams at the stadium to get some of the Lugnuts fans to try out the soccer team, too, as well as attracting existing Lansing United fans.  This isn't some fly-by-night outside owner swooping who doesn't know how to run a sports organization. This is something they'd been carefully studying and working out for around two years before they announced the move up.

3 hours ago, Lmichigan said:

Stay klassy, GRLaker.

Sorry, I should have stated in my first post that I wasn’t downplaying Lansing getting a pro soccer team. I just don’t want Grand Rapids to follow suit and play pro soccer at the Whitecaps (because I’ve been there, done that, and the facility is not a good setup for soccer).

As you mentioned, the Stadium may be different and indeed seems to have three sides that are pretty close. So it may work in that stadium. Also, Lansing’s field is downtown. I’d hate to see soccer in the burbs in GR. 

So that is definitely a compliment to Lansing. 

And remember, soccer fans tend to hate all other soccer fans. I’m happy for Lansing, maybe it’ll nudge others cities in Michigan. 

Joe

2 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

Work 

Beating my hand with a hammer

Soccer 

in that order 

Those are fighting words. Haha. Go watch a local GRFC game. You don’t really have to be a fan of soccer and you’ll still have a good time!

Joe

59 minutes ago, Lmichigan said:

This isn't really correct.  Again, this basically a rebranding of Lansing United, a local amateur team.  The former owner (a local) is now simply being made the general manager.  The new owner is the owner of the Lansing Lugnuts, Tom Dickson, which is why their games will be played in Oldsmobile Park.  Dickson and the Lugnuts have been in Lansing for 22 years. 

I don't know if this is going to be successful; the plan is kind of to cross-promote the two teams at the stadium to get some of the Lugnuts fans to try out the soccer team, too, as well as attracting existing Lansing United fans.  This isn't some fly-by-night outside owner swooping who doesn't know how to run a sports organization. This is something they'd been carefully studying and working out for around two years before they announced the move up.

To go pro, you need someone with deep pockets. I think if GRFC ever goes pro, they’ll have to do the same. It may be the same team, but the ownership structure might have to change (even if the original owners remain involved / minority partners). Most pro leagues require owners with deep pockets. 

Pro soccer is a sleazy business when you start to read about it. If I read correctly, Detroit FC is turning Pro in the NPSL. The crazy thing is, US Soccer is trying to say that they can’t say they are a “professional” soccer team (only they can sanction pro teams according to them). So I’m glad some soccer teams are fighting the old establishment!

https://www.frontrowsoccer.com/2018/08/27/full-speed-ahead-sources-npsl-plans-2019-launch-for-its-pro-division/

2 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I agree, the title is just meant to provoke animosity, IMHO. 

Actually it wasn’t. It was more intended to light a fire under the butts of GR to at least have some progress toward getting a stadium built for a pro team. Thanks for assuming though. 

4 hours ago, SupercityGR said:

Basketball 

Football 

Hocley 

Baseball 

Knitting

Chores 

Work 

Beating my hand with a hammer

Soccer 

in that order 

Yawn.

In response to the rest of the thread: 

Great for the city of Lansing, bummer for the supporters who created an identity around Lansing United to have the team completely re- breaded down to even having the colors changed. I think the baseball stadium is probably the smartest move for them to get a team up and running quickly, I think it will hurt them in the long run. 

1 hour ago, GrSportsGuy said:

Actually it wasn’t. It was more intended to light a fire under the butts of GR to at least have some progress toward getting a stadium built for a pro team. Thanks for assuming though. 

Well good news for all of those like me, I'm changing the title.. 

• GRDadof3 changed the title to Lansing getting a pro soccer team, let's light a fire under GR soccer supporters to get one here

Archived