River City Marketplace & other malls of J-Ville

vladittude0583

Just thought I'd post several questions regarding the new open-air shopping center on the Northside similar to St. John's Town Center.

1) Instead of a Dillard's as the main anchor department store, River City has a Wal-Mart Supercenter as the anchor department store. What do you guys think?

2) If anything, this open-air plaza should have more upscale stores than St. John's Town Center given its proximity to the airport and I-95 with its many visitors passing by out of state and so forth. What do you guys think?

3) Does anyone know some of the stores going up @ River City since it's scheduled to open by spring 2006?

4) I wonder if Macy's has plans to open here given that they want to open more than one store in the First Coast area.

5) When are they going to start the open-air section of The Avenues does anyone know?

6) Anyone heard of what's the upscale department stores and just regular stores coming to Phase II of St. John's Town Center?

7) Is Regency going to get anything more upscale?

8) What about O.P. Mall? Any changes being planned for it?

9) When are they going to start that Oakleaf Mall?

10) When's the Landing's redevelopment going to start if anyone knows?

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just thought I'd post several questions regarding the new open-air shopping center on the Northside similar to St. John's Town Center.

1) Instead of a Dillard's as the main anchor department store, River City has a Wal-Mart Supercenter as the anchor department store. What do you guys think?

I think River City is just going to be a large strip center, thus the Super Walmart.

2) If anything, this open-air plaza should have more upscale stores than St. John's Town Center given its proximity to the airport and I-95 with its many visitors passing by out of state and so forth. What do you guys think?

Not a chance. St. Johns is centrally located in the booming Southside and very close to Mandarin, Northern St. Johns County and the beaches.

3) Does anyone know some of the stores going up @ River City since it's scheduled to open by spring 2006?

The only things that I've heard announced so far is SuperWalmart and a movie cinema.

4) I wonder if Macy's has plans to open here given that they want to open more than one store in the First Coast area.

I don't know, I figure they would open stores at Regency and St. Johns before River City.

5) When are they going to start the open-air section of The Avenues does anyone know?

I wasn't aware that there were plans to expand the Avenues. The proposed Avenues Walk retail center will be located on the other side of Phillips Highway, next to the I-95 & I-295/9A interchange.

6) Anyone heard of what's the upscale department stores and just regular stores coming to Phase II of St. John's Town Center?

According to one of my former co-workers, who's firm in doing the plans for phase II, the three department stores will be Macy's, Norstrom and Neiman Marcus.

7) Is Regency going to get anything more upscale?

8) What about O.P. Mall? Any changes being planned for it?

Sorry, I don't know what these malls have planned.

9) When are they going to start that Oakleaf Mall?

Who knows? I don't think one is even planned at the moment. From what I understand, the developers of Oakleaf just set aside land for a regional mall, in the future.

10) When's the Landing's redevelopment going to start if anyone knows?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whenever Peyton signs the papers. Sleiman, like many other developers of downtown projects, has been waiting on the city for nearly two years.

Okay, here is the thing about Rivercity Marketplace. The renderings look great, and it will look nice while passing by on 95. But, as of right now, there is no market on the northside for the typical mall stores... Gap, Banana Republic, Express, Dillards, yadda yadda.... and no one from the south or east is going to go to the Northside when they have three options (Avenues, Town Center, Regency). I can see this being somewhat of a mixed center with outlet shops, and with retail shops. Say... Gap Outlet, next to a retail Old Navy, next to retail Bath & Body.... with a retail mega book seller.. yadda.. obviously a movie complex... I can see a Bells/beals.. (however it is spelled) ...and some lower end department stores.. but I wouldn't look for a Macy's, or JCrew or anything along those lines, but I still think it will be nice.. whatever ends up happening. I just don't look for another Town Center to happen for awhile, especially on the North end of the city. This will be great for the tourists staying near the airport... Regency will no longer be the impression Jacksonville makes on airport tourists. I'm really hating the idea of a Wal-mart supercenter being a part of this. Could they have at least gone with Target? I see hotels are apart of this.. it would be nice to see something more upscale at the airport.. more so than the Clarion or "Hilton Garden" ..maybe a lower upscale chain that Jacksonville currently does not play host to (Crowne Plaza, Doubletree...) will pop up. who knows. Either way, i'm sure it will develop with time.

Archived