The Walk on Union | $950M mixed-use development proposed for Downtown

VSRJ

• 2 weeks later...

Permit Filed

MBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/04/13/adams-properties-building-permits-east-memphis.html

Three permits were filed April 8 at the sites where a Kevin Adams-led development team has announced plans for a 240-unit senior living project and The Walk's first phase.

The permit for The Walk's first phase was filed one day after its design was approved. It lists 414 apartments and 20,000 square feet of retail space at the eastern end of project site, near Danny Thomas Boulevard, but a value has not been specified yet.

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

The Walk on Union to include two Hilton-branded hotels-  Tempo by Hilton and Embassy Suites

The Walk on Union to include two Hilton-branded hotels - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

Tempo is a new hotel concept for Hilton. Fronting Union at the corner of the development’s new street to be called “Fifth,” Tempo will have 166 guest rooms and will be Hilton’s newest “stylish and contemporary lifestyle brand,” the release states. The hotel’s amenities include exercise equipment from Peloton and Precor and a “premium” restaurant and bar with indoor and outdoor seating, the release states.

<strong>The Tempo by Hilton will have 166 guestrooms at the corner of Union and the planned Fifth Street.</strong> (Submitted)

Embassy Suites will rise at Union and Fourth with 183, two-room suites offering “incredible views of Downtown Memphis,” the release states. The hotel will have the E’terie Bar and Grill and an American-style restaurant called Brickstones.

<strong>The Embassy Suites is to have 183 guestrooms at Union and Fourth.</strong> (Submitted)

Edited by VSRJ
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, TheExtraEastKid said:

I was downtown a few nights ago but it was too dark to notice anything. I'll check next time I'm down there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
15 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Has the Memphis Walk construction started?

This is such a game-changing development to blend downtown with the Edge District. Excited to see this built.

I believe land clearing has started, but I need to head down there to confirm.

16 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Has the Memphis Walk construction started?

This is such a game-changing development to blend downtown with the Edge District. Excited to see this built.

The first permit for Phase 1 of the development was filed a couple of months ago. That's about all I know at this point.

20 minutes ago, James Owen said:

The first permit for Phase 1 of the development was filed a couple of months ago. That's about all I know at this point.

Oh gotcha--ok, that's movement anyway, in the right direction. I had hoped this one would've gotten started with construction already, but I suppose COVID delayed it. I hope they get it going ASAP. Would hate to see this game-changing development fizzle out for economic or other reasons.

5 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Oh gotcha--ok, that's movement anyway, in the right direction. I had hoped this one would've gotten started with construction already, but I suppose COVID delayed it. I hope they get it going ASAP. Would hate to see this game-changing development fizzle out for economic or other reasons.

Typically when they say a permit is filled that means the project was submitted to code enforcement, that means the project will be reviewed which could take 3 to 4 weeks then any review comments would be corrected by the designer, then resubmitted and then you have the final documents.  The project however still has to complete bidding and the contractor have time to schedule construction.  Im thinking construction wont start until after the new year mid january.

I work right across the street so i will definitely keep everyone posted when construction starts.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Typically when they say a permit is filled that means the project was submitted to code enforcement, that means the project will be reviewed which could take 3 to 4 weeks then any review comments would be corrected by the designer, then resubmitted and then you have the final documents.  The project however still has to complete bidding and the contractor have time to schedule construction.  Im thinking construction wont start until after the new year mid january.

I work right across the street so i will definitely keep everyone posted when construction starts.

Good to know! OK, thanks.

Sounds like early 2022 is a promising timeframe for when we'll see shovels in the ground for phase I.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

How is this project coming along? Has construction broken ground as of yet?

Can't wait to see this project become a reality. Turning a mostly vacant few blocks into a dense, vibrant live/work district.

I don't think construction has started yet.  They've named the hotel brands.  Hopefully it gets started soon.  

On 2/7/2022 at 2:37 PM, VSRJ said:

I've just come to accept that most developments here move at a snail's pace. But as far as I know, this is still moving forward.

That does seem to be the case. I think that's the challenge for Memphis as a whole. 

It's gotta be tough with all the rapid, booming construction up the road in downtown Nashville happening, while Memphis struggles to get a hotel constructed (Loews was just cancelled for downtown).

I too, think the Walk will be built. But when COVID hit, developments in cities that are slower growth and/or losing people and not in the "red hot boom" spotlight, got tabled and sidelined a lot more than those in booming economy locations. (the Austins, Nashvilles, Charlottes of the world)

This is an incredibly vital piece of development for downtown Memphis, and will be a game changer. It is crucial this gets built, to not only allow Memphis to stay competitive with residential offerings downtown, but continues to infill with development on vacant or under utilized downtown lots, to make the city much more livable for the future.

Edited by jjbradleyBrooklyn
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

That does seem to be the case. I think that's the challenge for Memphis as a whole. 

It's gotta be tough with all the rapid, booming construction up the road in downtown Nashville happening, while Memphis struggles to get a hotel constructed (Loews was just cancelled for downtown).

I too, think the Walk will be built. But when COVID hit, developments in cities that are slower growth and/or losing people and not in the "red hot boom" spotlight, got tabled and sidelined a lot more than those in booming economy locations. (the Austins, Nashvilles, Charlottes of the world)

This is an incredibly vital piece of development for downtown Memphis, and will be a game changer. It is crucial this gets built, to not only allow Memphis to stay competitive with residential offerings downtown, but continues to infill with development on vacant or under utilized downtown lots, to make the city much more livable for the future.

Good points, those places are a lot farther ahead in development and growth downtown over the past 20 years or so.  Memphis has done a lot in that time to improve but obviously a lot to be done but it's done a great job of adaptive reuse downtown.  I think it's slowly getting there-  we didn't really even sniff proposals for projects of this size and others we've been getting recently 10-15 years ago.   We've had things killed off first with the recession, now seeing some of that with Covid but I do think this will get built and really connect the downtown Beale/S Main districts into the Edge really creating a lot more density and residents.

Edited by DRG901

45 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

Good points, those places are a lot farther ahead in development and growth downtown over the past 20 years or so.  Memphis has done a lot in that time to improve but obviously a lot to be done but it's done a great job of adaptive reuse downtown.  I think it's slowly getting there-  we didn't really even sniff proposals for projects of this size and others we've been getting recently 10-15 years ago.   We've had things killed off first with the recession, now seeing some of that with Covid but I do think this will get built and really connect the downtown Beale/S Main districts into the Edge really creating a lot more density and residents.

The Walk developer has a 90 million dollar  senior living luxury development presently underway in East Memphis. I look for them to start going vertical  in the Spring. 

• Like 1

On 2/8/2022 at 6:16 PM, JTM1 said:

The Walk developer has a 90 million dollar  senior living luxury development presently underway in East Memphis. I look for them to start going vertical  in the Spring. 

Maybe the Walk developers are waiting on the senior living development to get further along, before they start construction on the Walk itself? 

If they continue to *wait* too long, another recession or blip in the economy could happen and this plan could get tabled, or just scrapped altogether. Doubtful this would happen, but just sayin. Based on projects like these I've watched in other cities, that have been delayed and delayed "waiting for this or that" to fall in place. Then boom, all of a sudden, it just doesn't happen for many reasons. :)

But I'm putting good vibes out there and am super optimistic this one will get built.

• 1 month later...

Now that March is almost in the books, and April is approaching, has anyone heard news on the pending construction of "The Walk?" 

I would've thought shovels would've been in the ground by now. 

I certainly am optimistic that the developers will begin construction on "phase I" by spring/summer of 2022.

The longer they wait, the more this project could be stalled or at risk. I'm reading some financial forecasters saying 2023 could potentially be a downward slope for the economy.

Hopefully not, but it would be prudent for the developers to get this first phase built out, before an economic downturn potentially happens.

If shovels are not in the ground on this by 2022, it could be in trouble of happening ? What do folks think...

19 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Now that March is almost in the books, and April is approaching, has anyone heard news on the pending construction of "The Walk?" 

I would've thought shovels would've been in the ground by now. 

I certainly am optimistic that the developers will begin construction on "phase I" by spring/summer of 2022.

The longer they wait, the more this project could be stalled or at risk. I'm reading some financial forecasters saying 2023 could potentially be a downward slope for the economy.

Hopefully not, but it would be prudent for the developers to get this first phase built out, before an economic downturn potentially happens.

If shovels are not in the ground on this by 2022, it could be in trouble of happening ? What do folks think...

There's a link with an interview with the Downtown Memphis Commission president that's in the Downtown section here where he said it's close to breaking ground...that's all I've heard recently..

8 minutes ago, DRG901 said:

There's a link with an interview with the Downtown Memphis Commission president that's in the Downtown section here where he said it's close to breaking ground...that's all I've heard recently..

Ah, ok! I'll have to check that out. 

I know COVID seriously derailed a lot of developments and their estimated or planned start dates. This one was supposed to start about a year ago, so I understand the delays, for real. 

But now with COVID almost completely behind us (thankfully), this one should hopefully move forward, smooth sailing. Excited to watch steel rise from the ground on this one.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's the story (soft paywall) from the CA:

The Walk developer: We are '110% going forward' with $1 billion Downtown development

Despite delays caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and inflation-driven price increases, the team behind the massive planned The Walk project in Downtown Memphis remains committed to the $1 billion development. 

“With all of the hurdles that have been in our way, we are all, 110% going forward,” developer Kevin Adams said Tuesday.

A Downtown Memphis Commission board voted Tuesday to amend the development agreement for the project to allow Adams more time to secure funding for the first portion of the project. Board chair Eric Matthews recused himself from the vote. 

The amended agreement gives the developers until the end of the year to provide evidence of financial backing for phase one. An attorney for the project said the goal was to be able to provide evidence of funding well before then but they wanted wiggle room to do so if necessary.