The Walk on Union | $950M mixed-use development proposed for Downtown

VSRJ

On 8/8/2022 at 7:18 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I would have to say the Grizzlies have put Memphis on a new trajectory somewhat. Now more than ever there is civic pride in the city compared to what it used to be. Finally people have accepted the positives of this city. The culture, the music, the food, the language, all are properties we have rallied around. I also think there is more cohesion between African Americans and Caucasians - mostly because of the new generation. There is more intersectionality now than it has ever been.

I know crime is a problem, but it is a problem in other cities too (plus corruption). Memphis isn't the poster child of violence, as people would want it to be, and as our history may suggest. Someone once told me: "Atlanta's best defense is their offense" and they weren't talking about sports. Even though I looked to compare Memphis to other peer cities, which is unfair sometimes, because each city has its own set of unique problems, geography, demographics, etc.  At least people want to live downtown, with the occupancy rate being at 95%. If it was so bad, there would be no one living in South Bluffs or Harbor Town, and I know they probably have their share of incidents too. 

Yes, the skyline could be better for a city that wishes to be more world class, but there are still people that care about Memphis deeply and want positive change. It has been said too many times. Memphis is an asset to the nation, in my opinion. Some things take time to mature and evolve, probably not at the rate of others. Unfortunately we'll have to wait, but the city has come a long way from where it was. LONG way. 

Tourism will pick back up - due to the new convention center. Tom Lee Park is going to be better. Someday Mud Island will too.

Got it. Still a fairly young USL franchise. Tim Howard still the manager? Like everything else, may have to play the long game with this - get people interested in soccer. I remember going to Memphis Storm games (indoor soccer) and Showboats games. I just dated myself. LOL.

Tim Howard is part owner. IMO we will have or have plans to build a soccer specific stadium by 2026 World Cup 

• Like 1

On 8/8/2022 at 7:27 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

It's still the big dog of the Mid-South. That title didn't go anywhere. Yes we've had our failures, lots of them, but successes too. I'm glad the Grizzlies are here - the mistake was turned into a positive. They have embedded themselves in the folklore and culture now. Most of my family members enjoy basketball more than football. That's the culture here in Memphis. There are too many Cowboys and Steelers fans (of my generation and the previous) to have a football team. They probably wouldn't be loyal to the hometown team. It would've been nice, and from a financial standpoint, maybe lower income people could've afforded to go because of the games being spaced out, but it is what it is. I'll take my Grizzlies. By the way, they should've proposed the name to be the Showboat or Pharaohs. Grit grind forever.

I love this positivity — it's exactly what the city needs to sustain and build upon the good things happening in the 901. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/9/2022 at 9:13 PM, Memphisborn said:

Tim Howard is part owner. IMO we will have or have plans to build a soccer specific stadium by 2026 World Cup 

That’s great! Hopefully by that time there will be an MLS team.  I’ve seen on here that one of the sites could be where the former commercial appeal building sits, which is a good location. South Forum would be OK…it definitely would jumpstart that neighborhood. Maybe it can be next to the forum on MLK avenue - the owens chandler townhomes would have to go. 

On 8/9/2022 at 11:23 PM, VSRJ said:

I love this positivity — it's exactly what the city needs to sustain and build upon the good things happening in the 901. 

So true. We need more people in Memphis to think more positively about the city. Stop looking at the glass half empty from what the news portrays. I’ve heard some memphians speak negatively: “there’s nothing to do”. Wrong. There’s plenty to do. Choose901 blog, the daily memphian…have a list of events happening. We shouldn’t buy in to the rhetoric.  I know this city is resilient. It’s in it’s history. I believe in it. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

So true. We need more people in Memphis to think more positively about the city. Stop looking at the glass half empty from what the news portrays. I’ve heard some memphians speak negatively: “there’s nothing to do”. Wrong. There’s plenty to do. Choose901 blog, the daily memphian…have a list of events happening. We shouldn’t buy in to the rhetoric.  I know this city is resilient. It’s in it’s history. I believe in it. 

Lots to do if u know where to go always an event, play, live bands, sporting events etc. u just have to open your eyes. Btw Minglewood hall has reopened lots of live bands coming there.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/03/30/minglewood-hall-reopening-memphis-music-venues-concerts-lukas-nelson-and-promise-of-the-real/7145870001/

• Like 1

On 8/12/2022 at 5:59 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I love bringing up in conversations of spots and places in the city where I have kicked it at, and someone will be like.. "I didn't know we had that" or "I never heard of that place before"... (kinda hate to say this) but from my experience as an AA growing up in Memphis, there's still a number of us that do not have much exposure of other areas of Memphis and surrounding areas outside of areas where AAs live in majority.  Some wouldn't know where to go,  and where to explore, from outside of those boundaries to find other layers of Memphis. I can understand why, and alot of the reasons behind that.

Mainly, it is cultural, financial, and traditional reasonings behind that. (Only going to the same places you know of and familiar with. Friends and family only going to those places as well, and the pattern continuing with kids) So, many are only knowledable about the city based on familiar day by day surroundings. Most of the city have neighborhoods and areas that  ave small businesses in place where the people in proximity will mostly hang out, and spend their money. So, alot of times many of the fun things and needs are fulfilled in those areas without them having to go far out the way. This dosen't apply to the majority of course, but there's still a large number of people that operate like this.

I also see travel routes as a possibility. The way Memphis is layed out, alot of the neighborhoods and areas are still somewhat segergated, so it's easy for similar groups of people to stay in certain parts of town without having to travel in other areas to take care of their needs. So someone wouldn't know there's a new restaurant coming to Brookhaven Circle unless they travel that way time to time, or have a friend or associate informing them.

Since I know the city so well, sometimes I'll travel certain routes through the city instead of the interstate just to get around. There's been times in the past and even recently, where I would drive through, lets say Copper Young or Overton Square for example and someone with me would comment along the lines like.. "I never came this way before, what side of Memphis is this?" ..it sometimes throws me off because of how informed I am of Memphis in general. Then I have to keep in mind not everyone goes out the way to search for things to do in the city. Now don't get me wrong, just about anywhere in Memphis you will see crowds of people where the majority or equal number in a mixed crowd are AAs sometimes. I'm just speaking about the number of people I've witnessed not knowing 2 cents of what to do outside of some parts of just Downtown,Beale St, and in their neighborhood area.

Examples like that let me knew that alot of Memphians, not just Black but White also, do not get out and explore other layers of the city or know other layers exist. That's why "some" will have that attitude of not knowing what to do for fun, because they did all that they knew already for so long.

Theres's alot of hidden gems in Memphis. More than ever, alot more people are discovering  places and cool things to do that not many Memphians knew about. The uprising of Tiktok and Reels are exposing all of the lowkey and cool places in city.  At times I would be one of the first to tell people I know about something upcoming in the city, but now because of Tiktok and Reels, alot more people are on game. I really like that now, because more people in the city are exploring places and it is seems to generate more positively.

Edited by TheKernel91
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

I love bringing up in conversations of spots and places in the city where I have kicked it at, and someone will be like.. "I didn't know we had that" or "I never heard of that place before"... (kinda hate to say this) but from my experience as an AA growing up in Memphis, there's still a number of us that do not have much exposure of other areas of Memphis and surrounding areas outside of areas where AAs live in majority.  Some wouldn't know where to go,  and where to explore, from outside of those boundaries to find other layers of Memphis. I can understand why, and alot of the reasons behind that.

Mainly, it is cultural, financial, and traditional reasonings behind that. (Only going to the same places you know of and familiar with. Friends and family only going to those places as well, and the pattern continuing with kids) So, many are only knowledable about the city based on familiar day by day surroundings. Most of the city have neighborhoods and areas that  ave small businesses in place where the people in proximity will mostly hang out, and spend their money. So, alot of times many of the fun things and needs are fulfilled in those areas without them having to go far out the way. This dosen't apply to the majority of course, but there's still a large number of people that operate like this.

I also see travel routes as a possibility. The way Memphis is layed out, alot of the neighborhoods and areas are still somewhat segergated, so it's easy for similar groups of people to stay in certain parts of town without having to travel in other areas to take care of their needs. So someone wouldn't know there's a new restaurant coming to Brookhaven Circle unless they travel that way time to time, or have a friend or associate informing them.

Since I know the city so well, sometimes I'll travel certain routes through the city instead of the interstate just to get around. There's been times in the past and even recently, where I would drive through, lets say Copper Young or Overton Square for example and someone with me would comment along the lines like.. "I never came this way before, what side of Memphis is this?" ..it sometimes throws me off because of how informed I am of Memphis in general. Then I have to keep in mind not everyone goes out the way to search for things to do in the city. Now don't get me wrong, just about anywhere in Memphis you will see crowds of people where the majority or equal number in a mixed crowd are AAs sometimes. I'm just speaking about the number of people I've witnessed not knowing 2 cents of what to do outside of some parts of just Downtown,Beale St, and in their neighborhood area.

Examples like that let me knew that alot of Memphians, not just Black but White also, do not get out and explore other layers of the city or know other layers exist. That's why "some" will have that attitude of not knowing what to do for fun, because they did all that they knew already for so long.

Theres's alot of hidden gems in Memphis. More than ever, alot more people are discovering  places and cool things to do that not many Memphians knew about. The uprising of Tiktok and Reels are exposing all of the lowkey and cool places in city.  At times I would be one of the first to tell people I know about something upcoming in the city, but now because of Tiktok and Reels, alot more people are on game. I really like that now, because more people in the city are exploring places and it is seems to generate more positively.

Totally get what you're saying.  And, I don't think it's something that unique to Memphis.  I bet you can find the same types of people, in other large cities, regardless of their race/ethnicity.  It does seem odd to someone like yourself, or to me, that knows the city quite well, that someone we know might not be aware of a place or thing in the city that we would think would be common knowledge.  I grew up an hour away from Memphis, and visited frequently, and then lived in Memphis for 4 years.  I'm in Memphis about once a month and keep up with news/developments, and know more of what's going on than some that live there.  Just depends on what type of person they are.  Some live within their bubble and don't venture out beyond it.  But that's good you are informing and showing other parts of the city to friends.  That's all us "knowledgeable" folks can do.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheKernel91 said:

I never thought of it like that. Thanks for your input.

People are more apt to travel than explore their own city. The comments I’ve heard are mostly from millennials. I told one of them to read the newspaper (at the time) to find out what’s going on. I think one of the positives of Memphis is that one will definitely have an encounter outside of their own race, which is good. Case in point is when “whoop that trick” is played during grizzlies games. It’s refreshing to see whites and blacks chanting it at the same time. Where else can you experience that but in Memphis? Everybody knows the culture here, and it’s finally being embraced and not something to be ashamed of. 

The Memphis brand is built on having a tireless work ethic, fighting til the very end, putting all one’s heart into a specific goal while being hospitable as well as having a little swagger.  It can’t be replicated in other cities. We’ve had to work to reshape our image countless times. In other cities, the accolades have been given. Here, we’ve had to struggle for it. 

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I never thought of it like that. Thanks for your input.

People are more apt to travel than explore their own city. The comments I’ve heard are mostly from millennials. I told one of them to read the newspaper (at the time) to find out what’s going on. I think one of the positives of Memphis is that one will definitely have an encounter outside of their own race, which is good. Case in point is when “whoop that trick” is played during grizzlies games. It’s refreshing to see whites and blacks chanting it at the same time. Where else can you experience that but in Memphis? Everybody knows the culture here, and it’s finally being embraced and not something to be ashamed of. 

The Memphis brand is built on having a tireless work ethic, fighting til the very end, putting all one’s heart into a specific goal while being hospitable as well as having a little swagger.  It can’t be replicated in other cities. We’ve had to work to reshape our image countless times. In other cities, the accolades have been given. Here, we’ve had to struggle for it. 

I agree 100% we had to struggle and reshape the city image a lot. Like Zach Randolph said. “Its a blue collar city” “Ain’t nothing come easy to the city”. But we strive, struggle and succeed. Grind City describes its best. We have a lot to continue to be proud of in Memphis. The best is yet to come. MEMPHIS RISING!! 

• Like 3

I grew up in Bartlett but moved to the University District when I started at the UofM. Even though I was only 20 minutes away from home, I felt as though I was in a completely different world. I was exposed to so many areas of Memphis I had never seen. Growing up in the suburbs, most of my exposure to Memphis proper was limited to going Downtown for Grizzlies games and other events. I had no idea there were so many other areas of the city to explore. That's why it's so hard to listen to people who spend the vast majority of the time in their suburban bubbles to trash talk the city. They have no idea.

Anyway, hope we see movement on this site soon!

• Like 2

On 8/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, Memphisborn said:

I agree 100% we had to struggle and reshape the city image a lot. Like Zach Randolph said. “Its a blue collar city” “Ain’t nothing come easy to the city”. But we strive, struggle and succeed. Grind City describes its best. We have a lot to continue to be proud of in Memphis. The best is yet to come. MEMPHIS RISING!! 

YESSSSSS!!!!!!

On 8/16/2022 at 10:19 AM, TheKernel91 said:

I might have a little insight on the Walk Progress. One of my good friends who work at MLGW told me a few weeks back, that his crew ran some underground power near the Walk site. So it's possible the project will start construction soon it seems.

That would be HUGE! I hope it still is a "go."

That area of Memphis will be completely transformed with this incredible development. Looking forward to shovels in the ground, hopefully, in the next couple of months!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

That would be HUGE! I hope it still is a "go."

That area of Memphis will be completely transformed with this incredible development. Looking forward to shovels in the ground, hopefully, in the next couple of months!

Yes indeed. Hopefully it will spur more development near Beale St. Baptist all the way to Danny Thomas. That MHA high rise needs to be converted to a hotel.

Edited by The Guardian of Memphis
  • Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 12:40 PM, DowntownUrbanite said:

Would love to see a soccer venue incorporated into Phase 2 or 3 of the Walk on Union. Perhaps at 4th and Beale northeast corner behind the proposed hotel by the Patel Group.

A new soccer venue is just what that area needs. The city has a serious soccer fan base and the team is having success. Winning will definitely go a long way to building a Soccer Specific Stadium along with the political will to make it a reality. 901fc is drawing good crowds let’s hope the city leaders will be on board when the time comes  World Cup 2026 should be the target date to have a stadium or definitive plan for a stadium.  Milwaukee, Pawtucket, Raleigh NC, and others have plans for SSS coming soon. Memphis can be a great soccer city 

• Like 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, DowntownUrbanite said:

Rumor has it, that Phase 1 (mixed use multifamily) will be underway by October. Hotels will follow a little later. If that news is true it should hit the press soon.

I'll be watching this closely for updates on shovels in the ground. Can't wait to see this development rise. Long, long overdue for sure!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

I'll be watching this closely for updates on shovels in the ground. Can't wait to see this development rise. Long, long overdue for sure!

Long overdue, just staying positive and letting the process play out, I don’t believe this will be another Lowes hotel disaster The developer is a Memphian he’s committed to making this Happen.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Memphisborn said:

Long overdue, just staying positive and letting the process play out, I don’t believe this will be another Lowes hotel disaster The developer is a Memphian he’s committed to making this Happen.

Seems like it! It's a no-brainer development, I think. In that location, it is bound for success. A prime live/work/play spot in downtown.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Any signs of construction life as of yet, on this one? 

Nothing I’ve seen or heard. Don’t believe however this is a Lowes situation. The developer is from Memphis and is committed also council, county commissioners and DMC have already approved public funds/pilot/ Tif. I’m very optimistic that this project will happen maybe in a downsized scope from what was originally proposed but it will happen.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Memphisborn said:

Nothing I’ve seen or heard. Don’t believe however this is a Lowes situation. The developer is from Memphis and is committed also council, county commissioners and DMC have already approved public funds/pilot/ Tif. I’m very optimistic that this project will happen maybe in a downsized scope from what was originally proposed but it will happen.

I hope this doesn't get slowed down or stopped by the possible Recession. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2022 at 12:12 PM, Memphisborn said:

Hoping you are right. This area desperately needs developed to bridge the vacant lot gap between downtown and the medical district.

On 10/2/2022 at 9:22 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I hope this doesn't get slowed down or stopped by the possible Recession. 

That's what I'm thinking. I read the developer was still trying to secure financing back in May of this year. 

So we shall see!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jjbradleyBrooklyn said:

Hoping you are right. This area desperately needs developed to bridge the vacant lot gap between downtown and the medical district.

That's what I'm thinking. I read the developer was still trying to secure financing back in May of this year. 

So we shall see!

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/04/12/downtown-memphis-development-the-walk-on-union-avenue/9504712002/

They have until end of year to show they secured financing