Pedestrian Shaming in Charlotte

kermit

44 minutes ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

It’s an industrial area like it or not. Nothing but warehouses and empty lots. (For now). 

Yea. But it wasn’t that long ago when the city successfully added sidewalks and crosswalks in all  areas within 1/4 mile of  South line stations. They just demurred with the BLE even though they economy was better and they had more lead time.

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, kermit said:

Yea. But it wasn’t that long ago when the city successfully added sidewalks and crosswalks in all  areas within 1/4 mile of  South line stations. They just demurred with the BLE even though they economy was better and they had more lead time.

As with many other BLE-adjacent projects, I believe the streetscape improvements in that area are just lagging behind. Can't say for sure if Davidson along there is included or not. 

https://charlottenc.gov/Projects/Pages/SugarCreekStreetscape.aspx

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I agree that a lot of pedestrian and bike accidents are on large arterials in the suburbs, but let me tell you how often I have nearly been hit uptown.   Many of these are on runs when granted I am moving faster than most pedestrians, but when I am going and have right of way and they are making illegal turns or running lights it is extremely scary.  6th has been my biggest risk street as so many cars fly down it as fast as possible to 77.    Some are cars rushing out of parking decks across sidewalks to hurry to the street and push out not going slow enough to avoid a pedestrian conflict.   

One lady was even stopped, at a red light, and I walked across and she just started moving forward blatantly running her red light and gunning it at me.  I had to jump back and she barely missed me, but I sure hit the side of her car.  Of course when they hear a noise, they suddenly remember how precious their paint job is and stop to check.    She literally ran a red light and gunned right at me.  It turned out someone I knew watched the whole thing from Epicenter and later asked me about it. 

Other examples are on the rail trail in SouthEnd, often cars trying to beat the train.   

Overall I have most escaped with just a missed heartbeat but overall it is scary to not feel like cars are paying attention.   I know one driver gunned it to try to make an illegal turn from Tryon to 6th during rush hour and came at me so fast I could not have gotten out of the way.  Thankfully his brakes stopped him within 2 feet of me.  I was already bracing myself and screaming, but he looked contrite so I just moved on with my day.  

Soo many times.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I don't have data to show this, but I'd bet money most of those pedestrian deaths are happening outside of Uptown on arterials like Albemarle, N & S Tryon, Park Rd, etc.

There was one on University City Blvd a couple weeks ago and I’m not confident that the NCDOT’s plans for that road are going to make it more pedestrian friendly, which is a shame given the number of students that use it to walk to classes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, King of the Queen City said:

There was one on University City Blvd a couple weeks ago and I’m not confident that the NCDOT’s plans for that road are going to make it more pedestrian friendly, which is a shame given the number of students that use it to walk to classes.

And one in front of the Giant Penny on Plaza at Herrin. She was in bad shape before she passed. Hit and run too. 

• Sad 2

9 hours ago, lit said:

Someone dropped this on my seat at the Matthews Alive Car Show

B2F66BE7-A948-43F8-A026-FCEA2CFCB0F5.jpeg

Gezzus F christ

I have also noticed an increase in crosswalk blocking and bullying in Southend recently.

more anti pedestrian BS from Toronto tonight:

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2019 at 5:39 PM, mpretori said:

Speed Bumps and Roundabouts in uptown would instantly solve the problem. 

I dunno about that.  Tryon St is stop and roll when there are lots of pedestrians (morning, lunchtime, early evening, etc).  This past Saturday night I drove around Charlotte, and it took me over twenty minutes to go from 10th to Morehead.  Hillsborough St in Raleigh has several roundabouts, and while they move traffic much more effectively, pedestrians don't like to cross near roundabouts due to continuously moving traffic.

• Like 3

The Observer is reporting on a pedestrian incident in Greensboro where they quote the Greensboro police (on facbook) who say:

“(Grogan) had entered the roadway at a non-crosswalk location into oncoming traffic when she was struck by a 1994 Acura Integra RS,” the post states.

then they say:

The collision occurred at the intersection of East Market Street and Laurel Street near campus, according to the post.

Here is the thing. NC law says that crosswalks exist at every intersection,  marked or not:

NC General Statute 20-173:

Where traffic-control signals are not in place or in operation the driver of a vehicle shall yield the right-of-way, slowing down or stopping if need be to so yield, to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at or near an intersection

Since it was at an intersection then there was a crosswalk there (even if unmarked). It appears that the Greensboro police need to brush up on their pedestrian law (or the paper got the details wrong). In either case, blame shifting appears to be happening.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/state/north-carolina/article235192422.html

Edited by kermit
  • Like 2