Pedestrian Shaming in Charlotte

kermit

On 5/13/2020 at 5:09 PM, nicholas said:

Regarding complete streets...I still do not understand why bicycle lanes share the road with cars.  Take University City Blvd as an example; it is a recently-built boulevard with a 35 mph speed limit, bike lanes incorporated into the roadway, and sidewalks separated from the roadway with trees.  This approach is being replicated on the Graham St/Mallard Creek Rd extension, as well as tons of other road projects around the area.  I see some people using the sidewalks (not a lot, but some), but outside of uptown I don't think I have ever seen a cyclist using bike lanes anywhere.  Personally I would be pretty hesitant to use them myself, as there is nothing separating cars from cyclists (other than some meaningless lane paint), and the wide lanes encourage speeding by drivers.

completestreets1.thumb.jpg.e93603545e6545d08ba0cd0d18a18d5f.jpg

What I don't understand is why the following scenario isn't considered (not a perfect illustration, just something I threw together in Paint in about five minutes).  The bike lanes are adjacent to the sidewalks INSTEAD of the roadway, and both the sidewalks and bike lanes are separated from the roadway by trees.  The bike lane on the south side is for eastbound cyclists only, and the bike lane on the north side is for westbound cyclists only.  Since the bike lanes aren't part of the roadway, it can be narrowed to how wide it would be without bicycle lanes, and the width of the bike lanes would be added next to the sidewalks instead.  No additional ROW would be required, relatively little additional construction would be needed, and in more urban areas, there would be no risk of bike lanes being blocked by illegally parked cars, UPS trucks, etc.  Plus the cyclists would feel safer.  It doesn't even have to be separate sidewalks/bike lanes, it could just be wider sidewalks with dividers or even just paint to separate the pedestrian path from the bike path.

completestreets2.thumb.jpg.0a4fb843435c8b68fe23f73b3e8873b9.jpg

I share these exact sentiments.  In fact, the unprotected bike lane appears to widen the perceived black-top roadway space, seemingly encouraging even more speed.  Why not do away with these unprotected bike lanes, and instead, take the savings and put toward some sort of equivalent greenway extension/expansion.  If I want to get from point A to point B via cycle path, there's nothing that says that path has to parallel or even shadow the route I'd take in a car.  Speaking of our envisioned 300+ mile greenway system, it would be great to GPS that, so when you're wanting to leave home for somewhere via bike, you can get a route that allows you to take Greenway as much of the way as possible.   Need a separate app for way to securely store your bike while at the destination.

Edited by RANYC
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Beg button at East and South (church corner).

This was taken on my way home from Divine Barrel where I had to walk from Sugar Creek station in N Davidson street since there was no sidewalk on either side of street.

50FE74F5-FD8A-4892-B803-F5109127B1E6.jpeg

Edited by kermit
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Saw this on University City Blvd while walking over the Toby Creek Greenway this is on NC 49.  this needs to be replaced for safety.  Also when some one plows something like this over if the vehicle owner is identified does their insurance pay for it??  This was in the middle of NC 49 on the pedestrian island.

IMG_1042.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, KJHburg said:

Saw this on University City Blvd while walking over the Toby Creek Greenway this is on NC 49.  this needs to be replaced for safety.  Also when some one plows something like this over if the vehicle owner is identified does their insurance pay for it??  This was in the middle of NC 49 on the pedestrian island.

IMG_1042.JPG

That has also happened on Graham at I think Trade St (where the bus driver was shot) and Mint St (near the digital tree).  Both have been down for a minute now no sign of replacements.  The joys of driving on Graham St... :rolleyes:

Edited by nicholas
  • Sad 2

This why I've advocated for total grade separation of light rail transit here. Yes, that means retrofitting and total removal all at-grade roadway intersections along the LYNX Blue Line. I'm in the room on the LYNX Silver Line discussions . I have told them to remove all at-grade roadway crossings with even local streets and driveways. 

There are too many impatient and bad drivers here for that type of rail and road at-grade interactions. The risk reduction is worth the costs associated with these grade-separations for this essential travel mode.

Edited by kayman
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
17 hours ago, Matthew.Brendan said:

https://v.redd.it/b5pz3nsajbs81

Maybe we can just do this? That seems reasonable. 

This is already done in Waxhaw (or it was in the recent past). There is a bucket of flags on both sides of a crossing in downtown, leading to and from a pedestrian bridge over the train tracks. 

Edited by JBS
  • Like 1

and in a follow up to Friday's post about the sign at Poindexter. CDOT must have really been embarrassed if they pulled the sign down over the weekend. But meanwhile the problem has not been solved...

image.png.213015aeba5ac4a5ca482510f3fd18ee.png

Edited by kermit

@kermitI can’t express how much I love this idea! Lol I have often wished there was a tool invented … maybe kind of like pepper spray … that people could carry and would only have to reveal to force others, in this case vehicles, to slow down and reevaluate the situation. Maybe some kind of expanding metal stick that would scratch a car’s hood if a button was pressed, but would keep the pedestrian out of harm’s way. In lieu of this uninvented tool, I will sometimes carry an umbrella with a huge wooden handle and swing it haphazardly like I might be crazy when I’m attempting to cross a fearsome crosswalk. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1