Pedestrian Shaming in Charlotte

kermit

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 months later...

One of my friend sent this to me today and I decided to share…lol. Something that I say around my friend a lot when we’re walking and crossing a crosswalk is pedestrians always have the right of way when it comes to crossing. Vehicles should yield to people. It usually sounds a bit entitled and expected. The sad truth is though this is how it should be… it isn’t always the case. Metal and glass at high velocity beats flesh and bone 10/10 times.

a73126be99354aef67cfd047db7158b4.jpeg

My friend always tells me I should always wait for the car to pass because sometimes I cross the street even if I see a car coming because most of the time I know they’re going to stop or slow down but I never try to cross when they are relatively and in my judgment too close perhaps between 5ish-0 cars between me and the vehicle. I’m always on guard too watching for the cars to make sure if I need to make haste I have enough reaction time.

• Sad 3

• 3 weeks later...
26 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

found on Twitter with this comment:  It got Charlotted

Everyone (or most everyone) is ignoring the No Left Turn prohibition anyway. That intersection is a cluster-*. No enforcement at all and a truly ugly implementation but almost all traffic dividers get beaten up horribly here and most aren't built to last (or built to withstand collisions by cars).

Edited by davidclt
Fixed typo
  • Like 1

Google Maps has not been updated to not take users on a route with a left turn onto Tremont.

I say that knowing 95% of the people turning left are locals, aren't using a GPS, and know EXACTLY what they are doing making an illegal left turn.... Charlotte roadways are essentially a free for all though as we have minimal enforcement and a stretched police department dealing with thousands of calls per day by terrified suburban people who saw a "suspicious man walking on their street and need a cop to investigate NOW!" while also balancing investigating the daily stabbing, shooting, et... that happens in Charlotte. 

Edited by CLT2014
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

17 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Google Maps has not been updated to not take users on a route with a left turn onto Tremont.

I say that knowing 95% of the people turning left are locals, aren't using a GPS, and know EXACTLY what they are doing making an illegal left turn.... Charlotte roadways are essentially a free for all though as we have minimal enforcement and a stretched police department dealing with thousands of calls per day by terrified suburban people who saw a "suspicious man walking on their street and need a cop to investigate NOW!" while also balancing investigating the daily stabbing, shooting, et... that happens in Charlotte. 

Throwing bricks for everyone! (this would solve a bunch of low-order traffic issues like left turns at Camden / Tremont)

More than 20 incidents of rocks and bricks hurled at moving buses in  Gravesend - Kent Live

• Haha 2

On 8/10/2022 at 3:41 PM, KJHburg said:

then lets bring back traffic and red light cameras and install one here with a $100 fine and it would stop real quick once publicized.  Why does the city of Wilmington have them but somehow we can't?   Same goes for parking on streetcar tracks.   

https://www.wilmingtonnc.gov/departments/planning-development-and-transportation/safelight-copy

Because the COC was sued to hell due to the enforcement improprieties in exposed in traffic court.  Several large anchor municipalities in the South like Charlotte, Nashville, & Atlanta have had this very problem with red light cameras more often than smaller or mid-sized ones like Raleigh, Fayetteville, Wilmington, Richmond, Norfolk, etc.  or the suburban areas of larger anchor municipalities in other states like Virginia, etc. 

Edited by kayman

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the westmost pedestrian crossing on Tremont at Camden is getting a pedestrian signal. For any number of reasons, I'm flummoxed by this decision. The intersection is an uncontrolled mess and yet every action taken only makes the problem worse. I'm surprised they didn't position the beg button on the bright green rail-trail crossing but instead on the much tighter post-right turn from Camden to Tremont section. This ensures more pedestrians in conflict with cars attempting the right turn from Camden onto Tremont (and the unenforced) left turn onto Tremont.

As a final FU to all those using the crossing, they placed the pedestal for the signal in the access ramp.

7 minutes ago, kermit said:

Cost estimates of pedestrian deaths in Charlotte:

6C4B1E91-BC4A-4FB2-9574-072D8E10CC2E.jpeg

Yeah, but think of all the money we saved by not investing in human-friendly infrastructure.

Edited by davidclt
Added access ramp comment
  • Sad 2

3 hours ago, kermit said:

The Atherton Mill portion of Tremont has been a genuine delight for pedestrians the past week since it has been closed to cars for stormwater work. Now if we could just get rid of the grease trap stank from Sullivans....

Genie floats in
"Your wish is my command!" 
The entire Sullivan's block disappears and is replaced by a podium apartment building. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.fox46.com/crime-and-public-safety/two-people-stabbed-following-alleged-road-rage-incident-in-plaza-midwood/

"Two people were stabbed following an alleged road rage incident in the Plaza Midwood area Thursday afternoon, according to multiple witnesses. They say a car almost ran over two people walking in the area as it ‘whipped down the road.’ When people yelled at the driver to slow down, that driver came back out and stabbed someone. After the initial stabbing, another person stabbed the suspect."

Talk about pedestrian shaming...

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

On 8/10/2022 at 3:21 PM, CLT2014 said:

To make this even worse, if you try to report persistent illegal parking to the city you are just rudely told to call 911.

• 1 month later...