Pedestrian Shaming in Charlotte

kermit

• 4 months later...

On 8/26/2022 at 8:59 AM, tozmervo said:

image.png.26c26bbf566786ba4d6676c00dcb5496.png

CDOT continues to prove they have no cares to give about doing this well. . . the signs keep moving and the illegal left turns keep happening. Really, could they not integrate the directional, Stop and Left Turn Prohibited signs on a single pole? Instead, the wandering Left Turn Prohibited (which is merely in the absence of enforcement a suggestion) is now covering the street name (on an attractive CDOT standard-issue u-channel post - so glad South End is getting value out of its Business District).

The Pedestrian Hybrid Beacons are installed but not yet active.

PXL_20230222_150751244.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I think the fact that not long after prohibiting left turns onto Tremont they closed off one lane of East/West a block north making left turns there so frustrating.  If someone isn't thinking they'll go past that only to realize they HAVE to turn left at Tremont or take a long, convoluted, traffic-heavy detour to get where they want to be.  I'm now used to crossing over to South further up at Park Ave., Bland, or Carson, but sadly many people feel like they have to make that last left because they have no other choice.  Clearly they do but then they'll get to their destination five minutes later and that is just unacceptable. 

Edited by go_vertical
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2023 at 10:52 AM, davidclt said:

CDOT continues to prove they have no cares to give about doing this well. . . the signs keep moving and the illegal left turns keep happening. Really, could they not integrate the directional, Stop and Left Turn Prohibited signs on a single pole? Instead, the wandering Left Turn Prohibited (which is merely in the absence of enforcement a suggestion) is now covering the street name (on an attractive CDOT standard-issue u-channel post - so glad South End is getting value out of its Business District).

The Pedestrian Hybrid Beacons are installed but not yet active.

What "Vision Zero" looks like in Charlotte . . . the Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs) are now (finally?) active. After pushing the button a recording announces, "Warning, cars may not stop. Use caution!" (or something very much to that effect).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, davidclt said:

What "Vision Zero" looks like in Charlotte . . . the Rectangular Rapid Flashing Beacons (RRFBs) are now (finally?) active. After pushing the button a recording announces, "Warning, cars may not stop. Use caution!" (or something very much to that effect).

Yea, the inconsistency of pedestrian crossings is both annoying and dangerous. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2023 at 3:39 PM, KJHburg said:

Well just 2 weeks ago this was a worn path now it is a real sidewalk.  Kudos to the city for putting one in here. Today. 

20230511_111123.jpg

I am interested in how this got built. Are you sure it was the city? If so are there plans for the rest of Hawkins street? My assumption was the city’s plan was  to wait on land to redevelop for sidewalks to spring up, but this disproves that. I am now wondering why other parcels on the same street are sidewalkless and why if this is a standard practice it wasn’t done earlier?

2 hours ago, MothBeast said:

I am interested in how this got built. Are you sure it was the city? If so are there plans for the rest of Hawkins street? My assumption was the city’s plan was  to wait on land to redevelop for sidewalks to spring up, but this disproves that. I am now wondering why other parcels on the same street are sidewalkless and why if this is a standard practice it wasn’t done earlier?

The city has … limited funds and CDOT only gets a cut of that. If it sees a great need such as this one where the path is literally etched into the ground and someone brings their attention to it. They will try to get it done. The city undertakes many projects and not all problems can be solved at once. If not here then there and if not there then here. The city does tend to get what they want during approval of these projects (sidewalks, trees, etc.) from new development so that the city can spend its money on other things rather than them when the developer who’s already building anyway. What’s a sidewalk for them? Not much to their costs. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, JeanClt said:

The city has … limited funds and CDOT only gets a cut of that. If it sees a great need such as this one where the path is literally etched into the ground and someone brings their attention to it. They will try to get it done. The city undertakes many projects and not all problems can be solved at once. If not here then there and if not there then here. The city does tend to get what they want during approval of these projects (sidewalks, trees, etc.) from new development so that the city can spend its money on other things rather than them when the developer who’s already building anyway. What’s a sidewalk for them? Not much to their costs. 

I understand all of this, my question is if CDOT can build sidewalks unprogrammed, doesnt that create room for inconsistent service provision? For example, why not build a sidewalk anywhere else in the city? The only criteria I see with this decision is to build sidewalks where people that have money to spend walk often. People could walk here still when it was unpaved. There are portions of this same street even where you have to walk in the road as a pedestrian. It would make sense if there is some other necessary project nearby and they are doing it while they had masons out there already.

the property owner of that building at the corner of Hawkins and Tremont has NO intention of developing his property until his ex wife dies (that is the word on the street anyway)  and he owns multiple properties around the city that are stuck in time like this.    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ohhhh I think you shared that on this forum in the past. That would explain why this parcel was identified compared to others in the area. I am still curious about where the money came from and if they had to purchase an easement, etc. CDOT (and the city generally) gets away with a lot by saying they can’t just do things on a whim because all of their services are programmed. This proves to me this is not necessarily true and I would appreciate more transparency from the city when they do choose to (rightfully) reactively respond to an area’s immediate needs. 

3 hours ago, MothBeast said:

Ohhhh I think you shared that on this forum in the past. That would explain why this parcel was identified compared to others in the area. I am still curious about where the money came from and if they had to purchase an easement, etc. CDOT (and the city generally) gets away with a lot by saying they can’t just do things on a whim because all of their services are programmed. This proves to me this is not necessarily true and I would appreciate more transparency from the city when they do choose to (rightfully) reactively respond to an area’s immediate needs. 

https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/#/property/132431   here is the property owner paying  a lot of taxes on this $5 M plus parcel.  I would believe most of that sidewalk is in the right of way of the street.     If you see a strange undeveloped parcel intown see if this person owns it as there are multiple parcels in the NoDa area that he or his LLCs owns.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, KJHburg said:

https://property.spatialest.com/nc/mecklenburg/#/property/132431   here is the property owner paying  a lot of taxes on this $5 M plus parcel.  I would believe most of that sidewalk is in the right of way of the street.     If you see a strange undeveloped parcel intown see if this person owns it as there are multiple parcels in the NoDa area that he or his LLCs owns.  

Sorry for the sidebar in a pedestrian thread, but that tax value jump is eye opening.  It's been impressive to see the changes in Southend over the past 15 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Poo Diddy said:

Sorry for the sidebar in a pedestrian thread, but that tax value jump is eye opening.  It's been impressive to see the changes in Southend over the past 15 years.

I noticed that too wow the building is old and not in good shape all land value.

I will now call this sidewalk on Hawkins the Portman Path due to the recent knowledge from above postings about Portman paying for it.  

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

How Charlotte views walking to the grocery.... "There must be something wrong with this person and they need help!" Multiple people suggest calling 911 for a lady walking.

As you go further through the thread, turns out this older lady lives in a condo near the store and genuinely enjoys walking to the grocery versus driving. The fact she is walking = concerning in suburban Charlotte.

Screenshot_20230613-082839.png

Edited by CLT2014
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3