SUGGESTIONS , NEW POSTERS CHECK IN

smeagolsfree

Hey folks,

I just want to check in and let everyone that post here I will be moderating this thread and trying to get renewed interest here.

First and foremost if you are a new poster to the forum, check in and introduce yourself here. Even if you are an old poster coming back for the first time in a while.

I have been posting on the Nashville page since 2005 and been a moderator since around 08. I really want to see the Memphis thread be successful and see Memphis successful as my good friend Eastside Urbanite says what is good for Memphis and Nashville is good for the rest of the state.

We need multiple cities doing well in terms of growth and development.

Also if there is anyone that would want to moderate this forum, let me know. I can still be around, but it is important for someone local to be very involved here. I can see a lot happening from Nashville but it takes locals to be eyes on the ground to give insight as to what is really happening in the city.

If any of you have suggestions on pinning or unpinning threads, we can hash it out here. I have already taken a couple off, but this will take some time for me to look at.

Thanks for the efforts you are about to render!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I said in the post in the Nashville board, I'm happy to moderate. I live in Nashville but make frequent trips to Memphis to visit family. I track closely the developments happening there. Regardless, I will be making a concerted effort to keep this board updated with projects as they come down the pipeline.

In regard to the pinned threads, I think there should only be a few:

• Memphis Photos * (typo needs fixing) / Construction Photos
  • Memphis history? (Memphis has done a much better job at preservation than its neighbor to the east)
  • Memphis Tidbits and Smaller News Items

I don't think we're active enough yet to pin so many. Perhaps one day we'll get there.

And if we want to create separate threads for different areas of the city, this is how I would do it:

- Downtown (CBD, South Main, Medical District, The Edge)
- Midtown (Cooper Young/Orange Mound/Crosstown)
- East Memphis
- North Memphis (Frayser)
- South Memphis (Whitehaven)
- West Memphis, Marion, Arkansas
- Northwest Mississippi (Southaven, Olive Branch, Horn Lake, Desoto County)
- Suburbs (Bartlett, Cordova, Collierville, Germantown)
- Rural West Tennessee (Tipton County, Fayette County)

EDIT - some other important topics:

- Memphis Dining

- Memphis International Airport (I know this exists already)

- Memphis Mass Transit, Transportation

I am so sorry as VSJR threw his name in the hat first. Congrats to him , but a big thanks to you as well. If you guys can work together over here ,then we can get some great things going for this thread.

Please if there is anything I can do here you two let me know. If Neo allows it I will see what I can do about getting co-moderator status here if that works for you Memphis4ever.

That may be the way to do it as I can see this board getting more visitors than the E TN one.

I will email him at once to let him know as the decision will be his.

Lets get the ball rolling over here. I am very excited for Memphis and this board.

One thing I would recommend if either of you can afford it and that is a subscription to the Memphis Bus. Journal and the Commercial Appeal. reorganize the board as you see fit and even if there is just one mod here, work together.

If either one of you have the time, it would be great to have a development ma for Memphis. If you have the inclination, let me know and I can guide you guys.

I've known Smeags since 2005 and he will do his best to help the board. He does a lot on the Nashville board and works part-time for the company I'm with.  He also maintains the Nashville development map in UP. So he very busy. But he knows his stuff and knows how to moderate appropriately. He will make sure people are cordial and on point. Smeags is also helping to get the Chatt/Knox board more active.

Smeags is also one of the most knowledgeable placemaking enthusiasts/semi-professionals I've ever met — and, given I'm 56 and know lots of such enthusiasts, that says a lot. He feel for the manmade environment is like a six sense. In the last 10 years or so, he has visited a significant number of U.S. cities and given them an extensive exploration. His feel for design, pedestrian issues, "urban nodes" and seemingly dead spaces that could be reinvented is uncanny.

Thanks to Memphis5ever and VSRJ for the contributions, too. Memphis is getting a good bit of growth/development and we need this board more active.

My hope is to spend a bit more time (than I have in the past) on this board and the Chatt/Knox board in 2019.

• VSRJ unpinned this topic

Archived