MEMPHIS & KNOXVILLE/CHATTANOOGA/HUNSTVILLE BOARDS

smeagolsfree

11 hours ago, markhollin said:

Might be a stimulus for TDOT to look towards at least extending I-840 between I-40 west at near Burns, TN all the way to the NE past Ashland City and intersecting with I-65 around White House, TN 

I sure hope not. Why wouldn't rail be a viable option to pass between the two? We always talk about how CSX has a ton of ROW through this region, why would we extend a highway for manufactured goods like this when the rail is honestly a more efficient way to move those goods?

I'm excited for the Memphis development, but is it just me or is a $500 million incentive pretty robust for a large company like Ford?  Can someone put it in context for me?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, smeagolsfree said:

You forgot about Toyota in Huntsville.

Yes... and I read something last night about a "mystery" plant going to Clarksville?  Anyone know anything about this?  Electric vehicle investments in Tennessee lead the southeastern U.S. (tennessean.com)  Mini rant:  The articles for the Tennessean are chock full of misspelled words, poor grammar and misstatements of facts (at best). Awful excuse for a newspaper. Look at how much this article says the new battery plant at Spring Hill costs (the largest investment to date).  

In Clarksville, Tennessee’s fifth-largest city, a nine-digit industrial investment is coming, part of the electric-powered automotive movement. Already, American-owned-and-operated Microvast Power Solutions selected Clarksville as the site where it will manufacture electric vehicle batteries primarily for commercial vehicles. The decision is expected to bring 287 new direct jobs and a $220 million investment to Montgomery County.  Microvast has executed a purchase sale agreement on a local site previously owned by  Akebono Brakes, and plans to transition the facility from brake manufacturing to a Li-ion battery manufacturing facility, officials announced earlier this year.  Microvast is expected to begin production next summer.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

Yes... and I read something last night about a "mystery" plant going to Clarksville?  Anyone know anything about this?  Electric vehicle investments in Tennessee lead the southeastern U.S. (tennessean.com)  Mini rant:  The articles for the Tennessean are chock full of misspelled words, poor grammar and misstatements of facts (at best). Awful excuse for a newspaper. Look at how much this article says the new battery plant at Spring Hill costs (the largest investment to date).  

In Clarksville, Tennessee’s fifth-largest city, a nine-digit industrial investment is coming, part of the electric-powered automotive movement. Already, American-owned-and-operated Microvast Power Solutions selected Clarksville as the site where it will manufacture electric vehicle batteries primarily for commercial vehicles. The decision is expected to bring 287 new direct jobs and a $220 million investment to Montgomery County.  Microvast has executed a purchase sale agreement on a local site previously owned by  Akebono Brakes, and plans to transition the facility from brake manufacturing to a Li-ion battery manufacturing facility, officials announced earlier this year.  Microvast is expected to begin production next summer.

The article you linked was written by the Jackson Sun fwiw. 

15 minutes ago, MLBrumby said:

They are probably dealing with a shortage of editors to read all of the stories and counting self editing. Publishing is a tough business and when you are trying to still do a failing model like print media there is room for more errors. I really don’t know if there will even be a printed newspaper 10 years from now.

I am unsure about the Clarksville plant. I can barely keep up with Nashville.

36 minutes ago, nashvylle said:

Ford does not need $1. However, if you want 6K jobs in Tennessee, you need to outbid your competing states. That's the context. And like Oracle and Amazon, there will be a ROI for the state and local communities over an above the incentive package. 

Oh absolutely I understand the context from the necessity standpoint based on competition. But I am more looking at when compared to other incentive packages handed out. Like the State handed out $65 million to Oracle to relocate to a booming area, so I was just looking for context of a $500 million incentive in a depressed area. Not having a knowledge of the area I just don't know if an incentive package that was almost 8x larger than a package that brought 2.5K more jobs is a "fair" use of the limited tax dollars the state has.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bos2Nash said:

Oh absolutely I understand the context from the necessity standpoint based on competition. But I am more looking at when compared to other incentive packages handed out. Like the State handed out $65 million to Oracle to relocate to a booming area, so I was just looking for context of a $500 million incentive in a depressed area. Not having a knowledge of the area I just don't know if an incentive package that was almost 8x larger than a package that brought 2.5K more jobs is a "fair" use of the limited tax dollars the state has.

yeah... I have no idea. Haha

• Like 1

Looking like it's approximately 8-12% of the planned total investment. Just an observation. I suppose that hinges on what they plan to build and/or use to train employees.  Oracle's deal may not be the best yardstick as it looks like they're taking a lot of the expenses up front. That may be because they're wanting to move quickly. 

Edited by MLBrumby