Chattanooga Area News

Chattanooga ranks No.3 among best Road Trip destinations by Livability.com for its proximity to many interesting cities and natural areas.

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2019/aug/20/chattanooga-rates-among-towns-road-trippers/501622/

From the article: 

Chattanooga is among the best cities in America for travelers who love road trips.

Chattanooga ranked No. 3 in the top 10 list released today by Livability.com, which cited Chattanooga's access to outdoor recreation like rock climbing, the city's vibrant tech startup scene and its proximity to places like the Chattahoochee National Forest, Talladega National Forest, Coosa River and nearby cities such as Nashville, Asheville, Knoxville and Atlanta.

Townhomes and animal hospital planned for Southside were a Long John Silver used to be. 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/jul/31/animal-hospital-townhomes/500186/

From TFP:  A veterinary hospital is moving to the South Broad District to a site where plans also call for townhomes as the redeveloping Chattanooga neighborhood sees an array of new investment.

Veterinary Care and Specialty Group, currently located in St. Elmo, plans to build a new 24-hour animal hospital at 3201 Broad St. where a Long John Silver's restaurant operated for many years, said Ben Berry of Berry Engineers.

While the nearly 15,000-square-foot animal hospital will face Broad Street, up to 11 townhomes will be raised in the rear of the tract toward St. Elmo Avenue, he said.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

A LaQuinta Hotel and parking garage are going up at Cowart St. and 13th Street on the Southside.  https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/jul/11/laquinta/498569/?utm_campaign=magnet&utm_source=article_page&utm_medium=related_articles

1562862653_071219c00-cowart-st-hotel_gs_t1070_h037ba6e2d8e5ff38cbf6bec6ff70e75aedbb38af.jpg

Rivermont Hospitality of Chattanooga plans to put up the six-story, 123-unit hotel along with a two-level parking garage on a vacant site at Cowart and 13th streets. Ben Berry, president of Berry Engineers, said the multimillion-dollar project will also include 14,000 square feet of ground-level commercial space.

Apartments are going up all over the city's core. 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/jul/25/more-downtown-chattanoogapartments-readied/499834/

Meanwhile, a South Carolina developer planning one of the downtown riverfront's biggest-ever mixed-use projects has obtained city permits as the company preps for construction.

River Rock will offer 16,000 square feet of commercial space in addition to 167 apartment units as well as townhomes with attached garages. Estimated at about $48 million, the project will go up on two former Unum Group parking lots off Cherry and Fourth streets.

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 2

24 condos planned for two historic building downtown

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/jul/11/24-condos-stacked-parking-system-planned-down/498638/

From the TFP:  A developer plans to put two dozen condominiums into a pair of downtown Chattanooga buildings and, in a first for the city, install automated stacked parking for the owners' cars.

"You drive the car in on a tray. It takes it to a spot [inside the building]," said Don Sells of River Street Architecture, which is designing the condo project at 619 and 621 Market St.

Sells said plans are to construct 24 condos, which will range from $600,000 to $1 million each, in the project that could reach about $10 million

Edited by MLBrumby
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, MLBrumby said:

Chattanooga Red Wolves stadium work begins; soccer facility anchors huge development in East Ridge

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2019/jul/09/red-wolves-break-ground-new-stadium-east-ridge/498393/

I like this proposal. It says a lot about Chattanooga and soccer in America. Also, I'm glad to see something like this happen in East Ridge. This community has so much potential to become a model for development if better zoning and transportation can be implemented.

48688447986_b910a1c2b1_z.jpg

From Soccer Stadium Digest...(quoting the TFP)

Division III USL League One‘s Red Wolves are planning a new stadium that will anchor a larger mixed-use development on about 100 acres at Interstate 75 and Interstate 24. The estimated $125 million plan is led by Red Wolves and Utah-based Star Community Builders owner Bob Martino, and calls for a 5,550-seat stadium to highlight a project that includes 400 apartment and condominium units, 375 hotel rooms, 475,000 square feet of commercial space including the stadium, and a mix of walking and nature trails.

48688207648_3ac9885d4e_z.jpg

48688551731_46f61a0fd1_z.jpg

The majority of those speaking were opposed to the location, not the project. The development is planned for property at 6500 McCall Road, which is along I-75 and adjacent to Landsdale Park, a residential neighborhood that is in a wetlands area and floodplain. Reasons cited for opposition include uncertainty about which roads would be used to access the soccer complex and if the existing houses and duplexes along those streets would also be rezoned. The city’s zoning ordinance specifies that access can only be made through large public roads, which appears to be a contradiction, said one speaker. Another issue is that the city’s ordinance specifies acceptable usage of this property and an outdoor stadium is not included in the list.

There was also concern about the 3,000-plus parking spaces that would be needed and where they would be put. Neighborhood residents fear that cars would overflow the designated spaces and parking and end up walking through their neighborhoods. Noise created at the soccer games and concerts, which has been mentioned as another use for the facility, is also a big concern. 

• Like 1

Gonna need an attendance boost to fill that stadium. Red Wolves have been a horribly run franchise from the beginning. Tried to destroy CFC, tried to steal CFC Academy, supporters group wanting to bring nooses to intimidate opposing players and ultimately not building downtown.  It will be interesting to see how many people want to go to East Ridge for a soccer game when there is already an established pro team downtown. They have an uphill battle, it will be interesting to see how big of a boost a new stadium will give them, because they sure need it. I’m a bit biased obviously but I have a friend on the Red Wolves coaching staff and hope both teams can be successful and carve out their niche. 

112A8E4A-FD41-4B08-AAF8-ED367FFD9B9B.jpeg

Edited by Titans10
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly Chattanooga NEWS, but something we all could hope for.... removing the tacky aluminum cladding from historic buildings with ornate and beautiful masonry hidden under all that cr@p. First Tennessee building in Chattanooga! I'm looking at you! 

https://weburbanist.com/2017/10/23/architecture-unboxed-dull-modern-facade-removed-to-reveal-historic-decor/

https://goo.gl/maps/irWqwdh6XEzre6Ua9

• Like 3

The original look.

article.24851.large.jpg

Over the next six decades, Hamilton National Bank grew to become one of the larger banks in East Tennessee. It grew primarily by attracting new customers rather than through acquiring other banks. The bank had many years of stability through times when bank failures were common. The downtown location was first expanded in 1940 and again starting in 1965. In this remodeling, the building would be covered by a modern granite and aluminum façade. It was at that time the popular notion that old buildings needed such face lifts to bring them in line with modern designs. Similar projects would be carried out at the Lovemans and Miller Brothers department stores, though both have since had their disguises removed to reveal the original beautiful architecture.

The stable image of Hamilton National Bank vanished in 1976 as it was revealed by Federal officials that the bank was insolvent. Through a subsidiary, the bank had suffered substantial real estate loan failures. The assets of the bank were sold at auction, with First Tennessee Bank of Memphis being the purchaser. It was said to be the third largest bank failure in the United States.

• Like 1

Neyland Apartment Associates wants to build a 4-story, 300-unit apartment complex on 20 acres at 33rd and Broad Street, an area known as South Broad and seeing increasing development after decades of stagnant growth. It's an area with several fast food businesses and serves as a major artery between Lookout Mountain, Lookout Valley and downtown. A large redevelopment that may contain a new ballpark for the Lookouts at the former US Foundry property has been planned nearby. The apartments are the first piece of a mixed use development the company plans with commercial space along Broad Street and 76 townhomes along 33rd. 

From the TFP:  https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/sep/26/broad-street-project-pegged-75-millionapartme/504531/

If the variance is granted, developers plan to erect a 300-unit apartment complex with four levels in the rear portion of the property. Also 76 townhomes are eyed along 33rd Street, while commercial space would go up along Broad, according to plans.

One feature would be using an abandoned rail line that the city owns along 33rd Street to connect with the area's greenway system, Fielden said.

The proposed project is near a planned Publix supermarket approved this spring for the site of the former Mt. Vernon restaurant.

Nearby in St. Elmo, a developer plans a $21 million project that would go on two blocks between Tennessee Avenue and St. Elmo Avenue near the Incline Railway. Shops, residences, offices, parking and a boutique hotel are included in that plan.

1569532251_092719c00-South-Broad-apts_gs_t1070_hd9216048cdf8c8c7f9ce225fa1f398ef5dcc8307.jpg

South Broad Redevelopment plan... https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2018/feb/27/chattanoogas-south-broad-plans-offer-new-fron/464681/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The Beach Co. of Charleston, SC broke ground on their newest apartment building in Chattanooga yesterday. River Rock will have 151 apartments, 16000 s.f. of commercial space and a 300-space parking facility. The $48M project will have a half dozen buildings of between 3 and 5 stories, located just north of the Unum headquarters on Fourth Street. https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/oct/14/work-one-biggest-mixed-use-projects-chattanoogas-downtown-begin-soon-near-unum/505792/  https://www.timesfreepress.com/galleries/albums/7766/

https://thebeachcompany.com/development/development-of-mixed-use-community-moving-forward-for-chattanoogas-riverfront-district/

Chattanooga_P1-lores.jpg

The Beach Co. is a third-generation developer of apartments across the Southeast. They currently have three projects in Nashville, including Sixth South downtown. 

Sixth-South-Aerial-lores.jpg

some text

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I had to drive down to Atlanta the other day which means I got to drive through Chattanooga.  From where I live, I come in to Chattanooga from 27.  A few questions/comments:

1. When on earth is TDOT going to finish "fixing" US 27 through downtown?  And are there plans to re-christen it as I-124 like it was back in the day?  Driving into downtown from the north on 27 is awesome.
  2. Downtown Chattanooga is looking fantastic!  Easily my 2nd favorite Tennessee skyline after Nashville.  Downtown Chattanooga is really looking prosperous and inviting.  I know this has been mentioned here before, but are there any actual plans to strip some of the 60s/70s era cladding off of some of the older high-rises and restore the exterior to their former glory?  Are there any rumors of additional high-rises to the Chattanooga skyline?
  3. On the way back up from Atlanta, I noticed a large billboard along I-75 in north Atlanta (Marietta maybe?) advertising CHA as a better alternative to the hassle that is ATL.  Are there many from the Atlanta area who drive to Chattanooga to fly out of CHA?  Has anything else been said about a high-speed rail link between Atlanta and the Chattanooga airport?  I think that was discussed years and years ago.
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, jmtunafish said:

I had to drive down to Atlanta the other day which means I got to drive through Chattanooga.  From where I live, I come in to Chattanooga from 27.  A few questions/comments:

1. When on earth is TDOT going to finish "fixing" US 27 through downtown?  And are there plans to re-christen it as I-124 like it was back in the day?  Driving into downtown from the north on 27 is awesome.
  2. Downtown Chattanooga is looking fantastic!  Easily my 2nd favorite Tennessee skyline after Nashville.  Downtown Chattanooga is really looking prosperous and inviting.  I know this has been mentioned here before, but are there any actual plans to strip some of the 60s/70s era cladding off of some of the older high-rises and restore the exterior to their former glory?  Are there any rumors of additional high-rises to the Chattanooga skyline?
  3. On the way back up from Atlanta, I noticed a large billboard along I-75 in north Atlanta (Marietta maybe?) advertising CHA as a better alternative to the hassle that is ATL.  Are there many from the Atlanta area who drive to Chattanooga to fly out of CHA?  Has anything else been said about a high-speed rail link between Atlanta and the Chattanooga airport?  I think that was discussed years and years ago.

1.  27 is entering the final stages now, the bridge expansion is almost done, most of the lanes and exits are done, the only thing left is to finish the bridge over the 4th street exit and straighten the highway around the lookouts stadium, they are getting there but work seems to have slowed quite a bit recently. 

2. No new high rises that I have heard. I hold out hope for a new decently tall hotel in the future or a bank that wants to expand but nothing that I’ve heard. 

3. and high speed rail has been talked about and studied to death, just fund it and build it.  I would go to ATL all the time if I could just hop on a train that took me to a Marta train station. 

• Like 4

Yes to titans comments above. I’ll add that TDOT sucks.... primarily because of two reasons....their project management is notorious for delays and boneheaded disruptions to traffic. And their project planning is terribly inept when it comes to prioritizing needs. For those like me who drive i24 regularly, it’s utterly amazing that the whole stretch between mboro and Chattanooga has not changed one single bit In 30 years. Yet traffic has more than doubled. 

• Like 1

On 10/18/2019 at 7:42 AM, MLBrumby said:

Owners of Chattanooga's Alstom site seek rezoning for 75% of 115-acre riverfront property

Development group eyes 8-story office building, extending East Main Street to river

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/oct/17/alstom-owners-seek-rezoning-75-percent-chatta/506067/

1571346672_Overall-View-Aerial_West-En_gs_t800_ha37dd297c733e7b90f48ddeca9e3acb6dfa2f62c.jpg

WOW... at first I thought they had accidentally used a photo of a different city there, but then I realized... that's a rendering of the project.  That looks amazing!  I hope it comes to fruition! 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

King Street Station is a $35 million renovation/reuse of a 1911 cold storage warehouse adjacent to the new Moxy Hotel on King and Market Streets. 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/nov/10/king-street-statihold-nearly-500-jobs35-milli/507703/

The building dates back to 1911 when it was developed by Chattanooga business titan John T. Lupton, best known for growing the Coca-Cola bottling business.

1573185352_02xx19b00-city-views-004_gs_t800_hbaf885b549dda05d448e937bddb4e0641acc66ec.jpg

• Like 1

Two 1940s era buildings on the North Shore, on Frazier Avenue near Market Street, were demolished a couple of years ago (Facade was taken down earlier this year). To be replaced with a three-story mixed use building providing retail at street level and a half dozen condos above.  I have not seen a rendering for this building. Sadly, I don't think the developer Rondon has the money to build this. So I won't be surprised to see this site sit like this for a while. Hope not! 

https://www.timesfreepress.com/news/business/aroundregion/story/2019/oct/16/new-north-shore-condos-plannedpreservatigrohi/505969/?utm_campaign=magnet&utm_source=article_page&utm_medium=related_articles

1571258151_IMG_20191015_115734180_HDR_gs_t800_h30ecb642e625e96718e8f00452370043cf3a7e5e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...