McGhee Tyson Airport (TYS)

https://twitter.com/FlyKnoxville/status/1073331796610293763?s=09

IMG_20181227_182505.thumb.jpg.8aae179a7ea294042ce8f30418a68b32.jpg

"Because of your continuous support of our airport, we have reached a huge milestone. THANK YOU for helping us serve 2 MILLION passengers in 2018...and the year's not even over!" 

"McGhee Tyson Airport has 5 major airlines serving 22 non-stop destinations including Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Denver, Houston, Orlando, Miami, New York, Chicago, Las Vegas, and Washington D.C. With more than 120 arrivals and departures each day and more than 4,000 seats available, McGhee Tyson Airport is one of the most convenient and accessible regional airports in the nation."

For comparison:
- Memphis is near 4 million with 5% growth
- Louisville is at 4 million with 10% growth
- Chattanooga is at 1 million with 10% growth
- Nashville is at 16 million with 10% growth

Edited by LA_TN
Add image
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

On 1/12/2019 at 10:44 PM, MLBrumby said:

12 hours ago, nativetenn said:

Knoxville will never fail to amuse me

Very weird is a good description. As in the article from the  link above, here is the website for this project: https://ancientlorevillage.com

They were giving away free copies of the book for a limited time that this resort is based on. I read it just to get a better idea of what this place might actually be like. After reading it, I am convinced that somewhere on the property is a large patch of "shrooms" that gave Mr, Boyd his inspiration for the book and the resort. :tw_glasses:

Anyway, at least it's something different. People around that area of Chapman Highway aren't exactly happy about the project because of the added traffic. My gut feeling tells me they won't have to worry about that. Hopefully I am wrong and it ends up being a big success for Knoxville. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Great news! The city just approved the proliferation of South Knoxville's mountain bike park, which will be the first part of the $10M Urban Wilderness Gateway Park.

Pointers:

- 2-acre mountain bike park

- Urban Wilderness spans 1,000 acres

- Plan put in place by Mayor Rogero

To review renderings of this massive plan, please reference this KnoxNews link:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/2805478002

• 2 weeks later...

A group of us travelled over the plateau for a birthday bash this past weekend....the usual:  hitting Market Square and the area around Gay Street.  It's a nice getaway alternative to the craziness that can be Nashville these days.

I was surprised to see that Blue Coast Burrito at Market Square had been replaced so quickly by Ruby Sunshine, aka Ruby Slipper a chain brunch venue out of New Orleans.  I like Ruby Slipper, but I'd choose Cafe 4 or Tupelo  Honey for brunch over Ruby Slipper/Sunshine regularly in Market Square.

• Like 1

I think Blue Coast went under last fall. I was surprised it did because it always seemed to have a lot of people dining there. However, I heard from more than one person that is wasn't very good.

As far as the downtown restaurant scene goes, Knoxville >> Nashville. Many more places to eat in a short walking distance, and most of them are good and inexpensive.

5 hours ago, nativetenn said:

I think Blue Coast went under last fall. I was surprised it did because it always seemed to have a lot of people dining there. However, I heard from more than one person that is wasn't very good.

As far as the downtown restaurant scene goes, Knoxville >> Nashville. Many more places to eat in a short walking distance, and most of them are good and inexpensive.

Yes; last time we were up was the Bama/UT game and BCB was still open; I read that it had closed in the fall.  I think BCB's bar vibe kept it open for as long as it did at Market Square.  Our BCB isn't noteworthy now that Chipotle is here other than for its pineapple salsa.

We hit Babalu Saturday evening after a bit of foosball at Suttree's Harrogate Lounge....as well as Nashville Predators' table hockey.  The ramen looked phenomenal!

Edited by tragenvol

^^ What???? Wonder what will take its place?

Tbh that particular Walmart sucks. It never has essentials in stock (school supplies, home goods, etc.) Not unhappy to see it go. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/3003553002

Here's the story: basically, too many Walmarts were serving the population around here, so they've pulled out.

I wonder what retailer could take that spot. I'd like a Target right there, but I don't know if that elevated location could fit Target's business model- plus, Target may be too high-end for a bunch of college kids to shop there. However, Publix is pretty pricey and it is doing very well in that location, so maybe the prices don't matter that much.

Hmmm. Sporting goods store? I could see a Dick's or Academy as a good fit for that location.

• 1 month later...

North Broadway and 4th and Gill is turning out to be beautiful. Once a blighted area, this part of the city has restored old Victorian houses, renovated abandoned storefronts and made the pedestrian infrastructure walkable. I spent a lot of time in that area yesterday and I am so impressed with how far Knoxville has come along.

These parts of the city are firing on all cylinders:

Old City: Renovations of old buildings and residential boom. Great nightlife

Downtown: Booming with activity, restaurant scene is great. World's Fair Park Lawn is being redesigned to better accomodate concerts.

North Broad/4th & Gill: Undergoing revitalization; this area is re-capturing its former urban luster.

South Knoxville: South Riverfront park completed, old Baptist Hospital site is nearing completion, Island Home is revitalized, and Ijams is booming. Property values there are increasing.

UT Campus: Beautiful new dorms and student centers are U/C or completed. Campus is now very walkable and green. Volunteer Blvd. slated to finish renovations to Cumberland Ave, and the Strip on Cumberland has cleaned up tremendously.

Areas still blighted and/or stagnant:

East Knoxville, beginning around mile marker 391 along I-40

North Knoxville along the eastern half of 640

North Broadway beyond 1 mile from downtown... Lots of abandoned 1960s-era storefronts, bad infrastructure

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

After two decades of vacancy, the former Tennessee State Supreme Court site is going to develop into a combination of residential units and retail!

This is estimated to be a $76MM project.

If anyone has access to the article pasted below, please give us a synopsis of what is stated. Thanks!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/4055502002

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tennessine said:

After two decades of vacancy, the former Tennessee State Supreme Court site is going to develop into a combination of residential units and retail!

This is estimated to be a $76MM project.

If anyone has access to the article pasted below, please give us a synopsis of what is stated. Thanks!

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.knoxnews.com/amp/4055502002

https://insideofknoxville.com/2019/10/supreme-court-site-redevelopment-officially-gets-underway/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dollywood postpones its opening date amid COVID-19 concerns.

As of now, there are no reported cases in Sevier County, but there are two in nearby Knox County. 

Tourism is going to take a hit in the area, just like everywhere else. Some folks will be laid off and have to either ride it out or find some work elsewhere, which will be difficult during times like these.

https://www.wvlt.tv/content/news/Dollywood-closing-temporarily-over-coronavirus--568777461.html

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wiki page has the population of Knox County growing from 478K a/o the 2020 census up to 494K a/o 2022. I know the '20 Census was effed up due to the pandemic and that hit places where universities exist particularly hard (I still don't know how that applies to students as part-time residents), but if Knox is on a 5k per year, then it will hit 500K residents by 2025. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...