Memphis and Mid-South News

smeagolsfree

Great to hear this is moving forward:

$8M permit filed for Raleigh Amazon project

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2019/11/13/8-permit-filed-for-raleigh-amazon-project.html

An $8 million building permit was pulled Tuesday for the planned Amazon facility in Raleigh.

The permit didn't list the name of the e-commerce giant, instead referring to the warehouse as "Project Iris," its codename.

Neither the company developing the facility, Atlanta-based Seefried Industrial Properties, nor Amazon have yet confirmed the secretive e-retailer's involvement in the project, but plans obtained by the Memphis Business Journal bear the corporate giant's name.

The facility is set to be located just north of the Nike North America Logistics Campus, on New Allen Road, and employ more than 1,000 people.

image.png.7668fbd2c753a24248f9166549b16d70.png

• 4 weeks later...

Another building permit for Amazon:

Giant permit pulled for Amazon's Raleigh facility

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2019/12/12/giant-permit-pulled-for-amazons-raleigh-facility.html

A rather massive building permit has been pulled for Amazon.com's sort facility in Raleigh.

The permit, valued at $124 million, is for the e-commerce giant's five-story, 3.8 million square-foot distribution center.

The sort facility/warehouse at 4055 New Allen Road is called "Project Iris" on the permit, but Amazon is the owner of the property. Project Iris first came to the public's attention in August; it was approved by the Memphis & Shelby County Board of Adjustment in September; and the 98-acre property was bought and an $8 million permit was pulled in November.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Great news for the Memphis economy!

It’s official: Tennessee’s first Amazon Robotics facility coming to Memphis

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/10178/amazon-holding-ceremony-at-frayserraleigh-site

For the first time, Amazon on Tuesday, Jan. 21, acknowledged that it is building a giant fulfillment center at the Frayser/Raleigh community border.

The company — in an email alert to journalists about a ceremonial groundbreaking — also confirmed that the facility will be the first warehouse in Tennessee to use Amazon Robotics technology.

“It will be Amazon’s first site in Tennessee where associates will utilize innovative Amazon Robotics technology to pick, pack and ship smaller-sized customer items, such as books, electronics and consumer goods, to name a few,” the message to news media states.

The e-commerce company will host a ceremonial groundbreaking ceremony on Monday, Jan. 27, at the site, 4055 New Allen Road.

• Like 3

• 11 months later...

If the city can't find a new investor to bring 100 N. Main back to life (with a refreshed facade), then I think razing it makes sense. It's too much of a sore thumb. And aside from its sheer size and the rotating restaurant on top, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about the building's design.

I'd rather redirect whatever money the city would spend on investing in it to reviving Sterick.

Strickland unveils $200 million in projects to revive the city's neighborhoods

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2021/01/21/memphis-mayor-strickland-unveils-200-m-plan-parks-neighborhoods/4228553001/

Memphis will see a lot of moving dirt these next few years. The dirt will move at rebuilt parks, historic schools turned into libraries, and, maybe, razed skyscrapers.

During his state of the city speech Thursday evening, Memphis Mayor Jim Strickland will announce a $200 million spending plan intended to rehabilitate Memphis’ aged park system, change neighborhoods with mixed-used plazas and new green-lines, give Mud Island a face-lift and potentially tear down Memphis' tallest building, the dilapidated 100 N. Main.

Excerpt on 100 N. Main:

When Loews Hotels decided to back out a verbal agreement with the skyscraper’s owners, Townhouse Management, and build a 20-plus story hotel across the street on Civic Center Plaza, the relationship between the city, Townhouse and Loews descended into litigation, which is still ongoing.

However, while the current lawsuit has stymied discussions between the city and Townhouse on what to do with the 430-foot-tall piece of blight, the $200 million spending program has $10 million set aside for investment or, maybe, implosion. 

“If and when that becomes available for us to make an investment, we would like to have some funds available to remediate it. And either raze the thing or put in some investments,” McGowen said.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2021 at 6:19 PM, VSRJ said:

If the city can't find a new investor to bring 100 N. Main back to life (with a refreshed facade), then I think razing it makes sense. It's too much of a sore thumb. And aside from its sheer size and the rotating restaurant on top, there's absolutely nothing remarkable about the building's design.

I'd rather redirect whatever money the city would spend on investing in it to reviving Sterick.

Strickland unveils $200 million in projects to revive the city's neighborhoods

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/news/2021/01/21/memphis-mayor-strickland-unveils-200-m-plan-parks-neighborhoods/4228553001/

Excerpt on 100 N. Main:

I think memphis doesnt have enough tall buildings to tear down our tallest building with no real development in site.  The building can be repurposed, I say the city work with townhouse and we have 2 large new hotels by the convention center.

For sure Memphis has never had much of a skyline.  Unfortunately two of the tallest buildings (100 North Main and the Sterrick Building) are old, empty and literally falling apart.  Both are major examples urban blight and need to be razed ASAP as they present serious public safety issues.   This has been studied for years, and there is simply no way they are worth the investment that would be required to salvage them. They are long overdue for the wrecking ball. 

I think Sterick is more deserving of a second life. There's simply nothing remotely attractive about 100 N. Main, in my opinion.

As much as I like an impressive skyline, I'll take Memphis' shorter skyline but with a more appealing collection of historic buildings.

9 hours ago, dxfret said:

For sure Memphis has never had much of a skyline.  Unfortunately two of the tallest buildings (100 North Main and the Sterrick Building) are old, empty and literally falling apart.  Both are major examples urban blight and need to be razed ASAP as they present serious public safety issues.   This has been studied for years, and there is simply no way they are worth the investment that would be required to salvage them. They are long overdue for the wrecking ball. 

As an architect I disagree both buildings have their unique architecture styles and can very well be rehabbed its all about people willing to invest money.  If that giant sears crosstown building can be saved Im sure these two can.  We need not tear down any large buildings.  I guarantee once the lowes hotel gets built it will be more of an incentive to develop this building.  We saved the pyramid, we saved crosstown, we can save 100 North main.

• Like 3

I don't know a lot about Memphis, but each of the (dozen or so) trips I've made and stayed overnight or longer have been enjoyable. There are parts of the city that no other southern city can offer. It has very good bones. But because of that very fact, it also left me with an empty feeling, as though its best days are behind.  I know there's a lot of wealth, but also so much poverty.  Compare to other cities with similar demographics and it's apparent to me that the ones that overcame their situations have great leadership, both elected and business related.  Having worked on the perimeter of politics in this state, I can say that the elected officials of Memphis for the past 25 years, or so have held it back. They are either corrupt, incompetent or extremely unlikable.  The story of the NFL expansion in 1993 always comes back to me when I think of what Memphis could have been. I've heard from several people close to the negotiations that the NFL was really hoping to  award the expansion to Memphis (over Jax). It was generally expected that CLT would get one new team, but the league wanted one in another time zone and knew that Tennesse was the other largest state with NO TEAM.  But right from the start, the elected officials wanted favors 'under the table' and then when Dunavent came up with the dumbest of all nicknames, the league decided the city of Memphis was not a 'good fit'.  I really hope the city can right its ship before it gets passed even by Birmingham and (gawd forbid) Little Rock.

On the corporate front, those large F500 corporations that fled for the suburbs should show a commitment to downtown and take those buildings that need renovations. Show the promise to others who may be looking for a new relocation. Right now, it's still (unfortunately) a hodgepodge of good/bad areas. Good luck Memphians!  Your fate is in your hands. 

16 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

As an architect I disagree both buildings have their unique architecture styles and can very well be rehabbed its all about people willing to invest money.  If that giant sears crosstown building can be saved Im sure these two can.  We need not tear down any large buildings.  I guarantee once the lowes hotel gets built it will be more of an incentive to develop this building.  We saved the pyramid, we saved crosstown, we can save 100 North main.

I agree, both building should be saved.  The Sterick is a very beautiful building that needs some TLC.  It would be a tragedy if it were torn down.  I know 100 N Main is not "pretty", but it is typical of the architectural style of the 60's.  I think having a wide array of buildings from different eras is very good for the city and skyline, even if some are not considered as esthetically pleasing as others.  If 100 N Main were to be renovated for a hotel or apartments, it would look much nicer.  

15 hours ago, MLBrumby said:

I don't know a lot about Memphis, but each of the (dozen or so) trips I've made and stayed overnight or longer have been enjoyable. There are parts of the city that no other southern city can offer. It has very good bones. But because of that very fact, it also left me with an empty feeling, as though its best days are behind.  I know there's a lot of wealth, but also so much poverty.  Compare to other cities with similar demographics and it's apparent to me that the ones that overcame their situations have great leadership, both elected and business related.  Having worked on the perimeter of politics in this state, I can say that the elected officials of Memphis for the past 25 years, or so have held it back. They are either corrupt, incompetent or extremely unlikable.  The story of the NFL expansion in 1993 always comes back to me when I think of what Memphis could have been. I've heard from several people close to the negotiations that the NFL was really hoping to  award the expansion to Memphis (over Jax). It was generally expected that CLT would get one new team, but the league wanted one in another time zone and knew that Tennesse was the other largest state with NO TEAM.  But right from the start, the elected officials wanted favors 'under the table' and then when Dunavent came up with the dumbest of all nicknames, the league decided the city of Memphis was not a 'good fit'.  I really hope the city can right its ship before it gets passed even by Birmingham and (gawd forbid) Little Rock.

On the corporate front, those large F500 corporations that fled for the suburbs should show a commitment to downtown and take those buildings that need renovations. Show the promise to others who may be looking for a new relocation. Right now, it's still (unfortunately) a hodgepodge of good/bad areas. Good luck Memphians!  Your fate is in your hands. 

I totally get what your saying, but in my opinion, it is much better than it was in the early 2000's.  There has been so much infill in the past decade, downtown is  much more lively.  There is still a lot of work to be done, but it is getting there.  I agree that Memphis has definitely had some issues with corruption/incompetence, but that has gotten much better too.  There has also been some improvement on the corporate front downtown.  The moves of Service Master and Indigo Ag downtown have been very helpful, as well as Fed Ex Logistics about to move into the old Gibson Guitar factory.  

• Like 3

6 hours ago, MDC26 said:

I agree, both building should be saved.  The Sterick is a very beautiful building that needs some TLC.  It would be a tragedy if it were torn down.  I know 100 N Main is not "pretty", but it is typical of the architectural style of the 60's.  I think having a wide array of buildings from different eras is very good for the city and skyline, even if some are not considered as esthetically pleasing as others.  If 100 N Main were to be renovated for a hotel or apartments, it would look much nicer.  

I totally get what your saying, but in my opinion, it is much better than it was in the early 2000's.  There has been so much infill in the past decade, downtown is  much more lively.  There is still a lot of work to be done, but it is getting there.  I agree that Memphis has definitely had some issues with corruption/incompetence, but that has gotten much better too.  There has also been some improvement on the corporate front downtown.  The moves of Service Master and Indigo Ag downtown have been very helpful, as well as Fed Ex Logistics about to move into the old Gibson Guitar factory.  

I agree — I think these days (pandemic aside) are some of the city's best. Mayor Strickland and his administration are far from perfect, but the city's financial state is better than it's been in years. There is so much development ongoing downtown that it's hard to keep up. And there are exciting infill projects popping up in the Edge, Midtown, etc. Yes, Memphis is behind some of its peer cities, but I firmly believe the city's best days are ahead.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

This is a bit of an unexpected development for the Malco Majestic theater in Southeast Memphis, which I hadn't realized had closed.

Movie Studio, Hotel and Mixed-Use Entertainment Complex Opening in the Mid-South

Additional info at MBJ: https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/04/13/former-malco-majestic-proposed-renovation.html

MEMPHIS, Tenn., April 13, 2021 /PRNewswire/ -- MVP3 Entertainment Group, LLC, an entity formed in Memphis that focuses on purpose-driven films, music and television productions, while giving back to nonprofits, recently partnered with ATWEC Technologies, Inc., (ATWT on the OTC Markets) to start an entertainment mecca in the mid-south.  

ATWEC Technologies sells child safety solutions to schools and day care centers worldwide. ATWEC and MVP3 partnered to create MVP3 Studios & Partners, LLC, the umbrella for a multi-use center that will have six production sound stages, music recording studios, television network, retail, museum, art gallery, restaurants, office space rental, indoor sports complex and family entertainment.  

This venture will also include hospitality that features a 150-room hotel, developed by The Worsham Hotel Group (based in Atlanta), which develops limited and full-service hotels, boutique inns and private owned residences. 

"We have formed the ultimate entertainment powerhouse with three brands. All different cultures, businesses with the same mission and the like-minded spirit to make a difference to help Memphis andthe surrounding cities get back on their feet economically within the entertainment industry. We want to be the example that this world needs to come together. My motto is, 'You got sticks, I got a match and together we can make a fire,'" said Marie Pizano, CEO/Founder of MVP3 Entertainment Group.

This trifecta entertainment powerhouse will be the home of MVP3 Studios, ATWEC Center and a hotel (name/brand TBD with the Worsham Hotel Group), and will include approximately six movie theaters that will show blockbuster hits and new theater releases from MVP3 Studios. 

Darnell Stitts of ATWEC Technologies had a vision that mirrored Pizano's. "As fate would have it, after engaging in conversations and exchanging some of the same visions for the Majestic Complex, we decided to form an alliance to accomplish both our goals," Stitts said. "Marie is a major piece to the puzzle that is needed to ignite the fire that we both share. Together, we can ignite the sticks and keep the fire lit for all to enjoy its heat."

MVP3 Studios & Partners has purchased the property owned by Michael Lightman Realty Company, The Majestic Theater, an 80,000-sq.-ft. building, and the 20 acres of land that it resides on at 7051 Malco Crossing, at the corner of Riverdale Rd. and Malco Crossing in Memphis.

"We have our own slate of films, plus we're partnering with other production companies that share our vision for content. We have also partnered with film distribution companies and have a structured business plan that will work on bringing the city together, while creating multiple revenue streams to encourage economic growth, tourism and redefine what this entertainment industry needs to bring back its integrity in media and music. Partnering with ATWEC Technologies, and its innovations, we will be able to sanitize the air with their KV-X Sterilization System for the movie studio, hotel and family center," added Pizano.

Phase 1 is scheduled to open July 1, 2021, with six movie theaters, dining, movie refreshments, catering, events and a rental theater for hosting corporate events, presentations, singer/song-writer nights and more.

Phase 2 will open in late fall with retail gift shops, music recording studios, TV network and office rental space. Phase 3 is the 150-room hotel, and Phase 4 will showcase new technology, sports complex and family center with plans for an indoor theme park.

• 4 weeks later...

Another proposed film production development:

Hotel, sound stages, and housing: Film studio has big plans in Whitehaven

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/05/07/hotel-sound-stages-and-housing-blp-film-studios.html

A Memphis-based film company is planning a massive campus in southern Whitehaven.

BLP Film Studios wants to erect a hotel, event center, a dozen sound stages, and housing on about 85 acres southwest of the Walmart at 5255 Elvis Presley Boulevard, according to an application submitted to the Memphis & Shelby County Land Use Control Board.

"Upon completion, the BLP multimedia facility will be one of the most advanced state of the art facilities any where in the world, rivaling Hollywood, Atlanta, and London," the application states.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Shelby County saw a 0.2% increase in population from 2010 to 2020 (927,644 to 929,744), according to the new census data. 

DeSoto County saw a 14.9% increase (161,252 to 185,314).

See an interactive map here: https://arcg.is/0eWzy8

Capture.JPG.08490e9b1a985d4b20446b031737cb00.JPG

Memphis population went from 646,889 to 633,104.  Little disappointing to see that.  The 2019 estimates had Memphis at 651k.  I know there were some areas that were deannexed, which would account for some of that.  I also wonder how many people just didn't complete the census survey.  

1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

Memphis population went from 646,889 to 633,104.  Little disappointing to see that.  The 2019 estimates had Memphis at 651k.  I know there were some areas that were deannexed, which would account for some of that.  I also wonder how many people just didn't complete the census survey.  

Probably a combination of both. I'm ok with the former. The city's resources are spread too thin. I'd rather it focus on the more densely populated areas, even if that means a "decline" in population.

Regardless of this data, I do think we'll see at least modest population growth in the next 10 years as people begin to take note of Memphis' lower cost of living, especially when compared to to Nashville.

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

Probably a combination of both. I'm ok with the former. The city's resources are spread too thin. I'd rather it focus on the more densely populated areas, even if that means a "decline" in population.

Regardless of this data, I do think we'll see at least modest population growth in the next 10 years as people begin to take note of Memphis' lower cost of living, especially when compared to to Nashville.

I hope so.  The low cost of living is starting to be not so low anymore.  Some of the new apartments have pretty hefty rents.  It's probably increasing in all large cities though.  

4 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Totally agree.  I read recently the de-annexed areas were around 7000 people.  Still a little surprised at the total decline number though.  But keep building the core, it's been a great 10 years for big projects and thousands of housing units.  Seems to not be slowing down,  I'd be interested to see the numbers in zip codes in and around downtown/midtown.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/13/2021 at 8:18 AM, VSRJ said:

Shelby County saw a 0.2% increase in population from 2010 to 2020 (927,644 to 929,744), according to the new census data. 

DeSoto County saw a 14.9% increase (161,252 to 185,314).

See an interactive map here: https://arcg.is/0eWzy8

Capture.JPG.08490e9b1a985d4b20446b031737cb00.JPG

There is no way, this count is accurate. Shelby County only grew by 2000 people over 10 years?