Weed

GRDadof3

Anything related to Michigan's and the city's passage of recreational marijuana use  can go here. 

Saw this article the other day how it's affecting city planners already, just from the city's passing of their ordinance this summer:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/grand-rapids-preparing-for-marijuana-boom/1597541205

The equivalent of two or three full-time staff members are now dedicated to medical marijuana development, including Grand Rapids Senior Planner Landon Bartley.

"We've heard 'green rush.' There are all kinds of puns" about the anticipated profit, he said.

#weedcityUSA

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw a report on WoodTV where various localities are voting to outlaw the selling in their towns. Examples were Hudsonville, and most of Ottawa Co. and other locations.

I'm ok with this. I voted Yes just so that if you are going to do it responsibly, that you wont have to go to jail.

But I think the general community should be able to protect themselves from the jerks that want to smoke it in public or think they should be able to be high and drive. It was really annoying walking in Seattle and SoHo in NYC and smelling it. That was really disrespectful.

2 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I saw a report on WoodTV where various localities are voting to outlaw the selling in their towns. Examples were Hudsonville, and most of Ottawa Co. and other locations.

I'm ok with this. I voted Yes just so that if you are going to do it responsibly, that you wont have to go to jail.

But I think the general community should be able to protect themselves from the jerks that want to smoke it in public or think they should be able to be high and drive. It was really annoying walking in Seattle and SoHo in NYC and smelling it. That was really disrespectful.

Right and you can still buy it elsewhere and use it in those communities. Like booze. They'll be slow to come around. #puritansbepuritaning 

And I agree. Just like it's not cool to slug a fifth of vodka in a public park or on a city sidewalk, the same modicum of behavior should come with using cannibas.

But I know from being in Colorado recently you will smell it more. People will be smoking on their patios. Kind of like the way you can tell how drunk your neighbors are by how loud their voices and their music gets. :)

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Anything related to Michigan's and the city's passage of recreational marijuana use  can go here. 

Saw this article the other day how it's affecting city planners already, just from the city's passing of their ordinance this summer:

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/grand-rapids-preparing-for-marijuana-boom/1597541205

The equivalent of two or three full-time staff members are now dedicated to medical marijuana development, including Grand Rapids Senior Planner Landon Bartley.

"We've heard 'green rush.' There are all kinds of puns" about the anticipated profit, he said.

#weedcityUSA

I wanted to start a thread that was related, but didn't want to be "that guy" :tw_joy:.

I believe state has an entire year to figure out retail licensure. 

3 hours ago, kwl said:

I wanted to start a thread that was related, but didn't want to be "that guy" :tw_joy:.

I believe state has an entire year to figure out retail licensure. 

I've learned to accept the role as "that guy." :)  I'm also the one that everyone sends to be first in the buffet line too. 

In other news, the Mayor of Hudsonville is pretty incensed about marijuana and is telling everyone to use it in their basements (he doesn't want to see it or smell it):

https://www.woodtv.com/marijuana-in-mi/w-mi-communities-saying-no-to-legal-weed-sales/1602800894

18 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

I've learned to accept the role as "that guy." :)  I'm also the one that everyone sends to be first in the buffet line too. 

In other news, the Mayor of Hudsonville is pretty incensed about marijuana and is telling everyone to use it in their basements (he doesn't want to see it or smell it):

https://www.woodtv.com/marijuana-in-mi/w-mi-communities-saying-no-to-legal-weed-sales/1602800894

After hearing Landon Bartey speak about how GR will probably not opt-out due the high approval in the city limits, after a while of  surrounding communities #puritansbepuritaning will want to reverse their decisions and want the $$$ that comes from the fees. 

From the City of Wyoming's Twitter page:

Council approves an amendment to Chapter 14, Article VI, of the City Code to Prohibit Recreational Marihuana Establishments and Medical Marihuana Facilities in the City (First Reading). The ordinance requires Council to review the ordinance in 18 months, if not before.

24 minutes ago, ChevalierNoir said:

Council approves an amendment to Chapter 14, Article VI, of the City Code to Prohibit Recreational Marihuana Establishments and Medical Marihuana Facilities in the City (First Reading). The ordinance requires Council to review the ordinance in 18 months, if not before.

Thanks for digging this out. It will be interesting to watch this whole thing unfold. 

58 minutes ago, ChevalierNoir said:

These people need to find a way to just mellow out.

4 hours ago, tSlater said:

Every neighboring community that prohibits it just sends their money to Grand Rapids instead. Bring it on.

There's a lot of empty retail space in all of these apartment projects scattered around the city, looking to be filled up. :P

While visiting family in the Lansing area for Thanksgiving, they were telling me about a huge business park being developed a few miles from my parents for pot-related businesses. Two large grow facilities are almost complete:

https://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2018/10/hundreds_apply_for_jobs_with_m.html

A similar concept is under development in Orion Township:

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/2018/10/04/developers-build-marijuana-business-park-orion-township/1525251002/

Wonder if we'll see something like this in the GR area? That Walkerview development is looking for an extension of its Brownfield credits because it's not building out fast enough. Or there's the 36th Street GM site.

When Landon Bartley was presenting the new city medicinal ordinance he relayed a story from Consumers Energy about a large grow facility in the thumb. When it came online, the nearby town of Bad Axe experienced brown-outs (can we call them green-outs????) due to the imense amount of resources the large scale grows consume. Landon stated that the planning department was working with Consumers to make sure the GR area doesn't  experience anything like that. 

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

When Landon Bartley was presenting the new city medicinal ordinance he relayed a story from Consumers Energy about a large grow facility in the thumb. When it came online, the nearby town of Bad Axe experienced brown-outs (can we call them green-outs????) due to the imense amount of resources the large scale grows consume. Landon stated that the planning department was working with Consumers to make sure the GR area doesn't  experience anything like that. 

Stupid question from a novice. Now that growing is legal, can marijuana be grown in greenhouses? I always thought part of the reason for grow lights was to keep your crop locked away from prying eyes. 

Joe

9 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Stupid question from a novice. Now that growing is legal, can marijuana be grown in greenhouses? I always thought part of the reason for grow lights was to keep your crop locked away from prying eyes. 

Joe

I think it's a mixture of both, greenhouses and grow lamps (?) It might depend on the strain of cannabis you are growing?  I don't know either. lol. 

The largest grow facility in the US (Massachusetts) that opened this year looks to be a large greenhouse.

https://qz.com/872938/the-biggest-marijuana-grow-facility-in-the-us-isnt-where-you-think-it-would-be/

12 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

Joe

Technically, yes cannabis can be grown in a regular greenhouse. However, to maximize the yield production of each plant, grow lights, humidity and temperature are closely monitored to keep the plants producing flower/$$$$ instead of going through the regular growth cycles. The other fact that Landon shared from his meeting with Consumers is that the amount of energy needed to grow four plants to maximum yield, is the same as keeping 28 refrigerators running for the life of the appliance. 

1 hour ago, thebeerqueer said:

Technically, yes cannabis can be grown in a regular greenhouse. However, to maximize the yield production of each plant, grow lights, humidity and temperature are closely monitored to keep the plants producing flower/$$$$ instead of going through the regular growth cycles. The other fact that Landon shared from his meeting with Consumers is that the amount of energy needed to grow four plants to maximum yield, is the same as keeping 28 refrigerators running for the life of the appliance. 

are these numbers based on HID or LED lighting?  My understanding is that new LED systems greatly reduce the cost over the traditional HID systems.

26 minutes ago, EastownLeo said:

are these numbers based on HID or LED lighting?  My understanding is that new LED systems greatly reduce the cost over the traditional HID systems.

Landon Bartley didn't share which type of lighting Consumers was referring to but the other aspects of growing cannabis temperature and humidity regulation also consume lots of resources. 

6 hours ago, thebeerqueer said:

Wow, so the "green rush" is maybe not so green?  Although the amount of waste from Founders Brewery was enough for the city to invest in a $40 Million (?) processing/bio-digestor plant. Pick your vice, it's costly. :)

17 hours ago, GRDadof3 said:

Wow, so the "green rush" is maybe not so green?  Although the amount of waste from Founders Brewery was enough for the city to invest in a $40 Million (?) processing/bio-digestor plant. Pick your vice, it's costly. :)

Good call! The brewing process consumes an incredible amount of resources. The ways that cottage industries have popped up to reuse those spent grains are pretty clever, everything from animal feed to bakeries. :alc:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived