Jump to content

DOWNTOWN RETAIL WISHLIST


Recommended Posts


  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Was just in downtown Savannah this past week and they have a lot of retail along Broughton St their traditional shopping center.  Ben Carter of Atlanta bought up a lot of the properties then renovated

W E E D        S T O R E       BRAHS

I still would like them to turn 1st Ave along the river into a Paris-style cafe district.  

Posted Images

The retail is coming.  As a recently. This city has experience residential growth and now corporate relocations as of the past 2 or 3 years.  Bridgestone relocating their headquarters to downtown alliance and Bernstein. And now Amazon.

The hotel boom and Nashville Yards will fuel the demand for Shops for residents workers and tourists alike.  For the most part of downtown for a long time has only catered to the tourist sector with gift shops this is why church street center failed,  it was before its time. 

urban Target below

072015targetnl01.jpg

1989 church street center.

nashville-tennessee-interior-of-stock-images__u18850596.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also,  new retail has to be smart in 2018 since online shopping as I all-time high. It's the new way to shop for a lot of people now this is why malls suffer, more today than ever,  online shopping is actually put a lot of big box retail out of business.

So if it is retail, we need to be something unique the only downtown has so it could be a experience/ destination as well convenience as well.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www-trendhunter-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.trendhunter.com/amp/slideshow/interactive-retail-examples?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From %1%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.trendhunter.com%2Fslideshow%2Finteractive-retail-examples

 

Interactive retail is a great way to engage with clients and get them to think about retail stores as more than just places to buy particular products. From the retailer point of view, you want people to enjoy the experience of shopping in your store so that they return even when they don't necessarily have a specific need or purchase in mind. 

The applications of interactive retail are limited only by the imagination and audacity of retailers and their branding agencies. With the kind of technology available today, there are numerous ways of using multimedia to create an interactive retail experience for shoppers.

Ultimately, the goal of interactive retail is to remind shoppers that the particular retail store isn't just a place to buy things, it's a place to experience things. Once shoppers begin to associate a retailer with positive experiences, they're inevitably more likely to buy something from there as well.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, titanhog said:

With all of the hotels surrounding the MCC, now is the time for the MCC to think of a full-scale re-do of their exterior to include retail all the way around the building.  That area would be perfect for retail.  Help pull some of the people away from Broadway.

If we could get a retail center around KVB, the tourists and convention attendees would help sustain those businesses and the locals could get to them without joining the tourist crowd on Broadway.  The homeless population would have to be taken into consideration, but that is true of any downtown location.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, whatwhat said:

I still think it would be awesome to designate a two or three block stretch of SoBro as a shopping district that's closed to street traffic like the 3rd Street Promenade in Santa Monica or even Market Square in Knoxville. 

It seems like that would be a great area for a shopping district. 

I've always thought that a good place for something like that would be the Sobro side of the Gulch pedestrian bridge.  Make it pedestrian only from the bridge to the roundabout. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ll start by say that this thread is meaningless until we hear from ParkavetoTN. 

But, I agree with what others have said. More bodegas/Walgreens type. Funny how we had a Walgreens on tap for Broadway that was shot down by public uproar. 

Also, cheap eats. A few urban grocers (coming soon). A City Target. 

Specialty shops. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, titanhog said:

With all of the hotels surrounding the MCC, now is the time for the MCC to think of a full-scale re-do of their exterior to include retail all the way around the building.  That area would be perfect for retail.  Help pull some of the people away from Broadway.

You mean the retail that was promised to us in the first place?  Yes.  Say no to dead walls/sidewalks!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, grilled_cheese said:

You mean the retail that was promised to us in the first place?  Yes.  Say no to dead walls/sidewalks!

Yep.  The current convention center isn't much better than the old one as far as giving pedestrians anything other than a wall (albeit much more glass on those walls).  Could have easily ringed it with retail and restaurants. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nashville Yards will have 600,000sq of retail space and with Amazon moving in you can expect some high in retail and interactive entertainment. to move in 

This is LA Live the same developers that are building Nashville yards we will have different retail, of course. But the concept and similar layout is the same.

Screenshot_2018-11-24-10-47-11.png

images (1).jpeg

LA-Live-Shopping-Logo.jpg

Screenshot_2018-11-24-10-46-43.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to say that I am slightly concerned about Nashville being able to support this sudden massive influx of new downtown retail between Nashville Yards, the old convention center development, and others.  I know we're boomtown USA and the "it city" and all that good stuff, but we aren't Los Angeles.  Our metro area is a tenth the size.  Will we be able to support not one, but two 'Los Angeles caliber' urban retail developments, especially when we had next to no urban retail to speak of prior to it?  I sincerely hope we aren't looking at a Church Street Center situation here where it's a big flop that sours other developers on retail here for a generation.  It's a different time and a different city than when Church Street Center was built, I realize, but the worry still exists for me.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, BnaBreaker said:

I have to say that I am slightly concerned about Nashville being able to support this sudden massive influx of new downtown retail between Nashville Yards, the old convention center development, and others.  I know we're boomtown USA and the "it city" and all that good stuff, but we aren't Los Angeles.  Our metro area is a tenth the size.  Will we be able to support not one, but two 'Los Angeles caliber' urban retail developments, especially when we had next to no urban retail to speak of prior to it?  I sincerely hope we aren't looking at a Church Street Center situation here where it's a big flop that sours other developers on retail here for a generation.  It's a different time and a different city than when Church Street Center was built, I realize, but the worry still exists for me.  

I get the concern but I think it’s a completely different situation than the Church Street Center in the ‘80s. Downtown has a lot more workers, like a 5,000% increase or something in hotel rooms, a growing amount of residents, consistent and growing tourism and conventioneer numbers. I think these developments are happening partly *because* there’s been such a lack of retail downtown. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pdt2f said:

I get the concern but I think it’s a completely different situation than the Church Street Center in the ‘80s. Downtown has a lot more workers, like a 5,000% increase or something in hotel rooms, a growing amount of residents, consistent and growing tourism and conventioneer numbers. I think these developments are happening partly *because* there’s been such a lack of retail downtown. 

All fair points, and perhaps I'm just being overly skeptical, but I question whether or not downtown Nashville, despite all of it's recent gains, can absorb the equivalent of a large suburban shopping mall's worth of retail.  We shall see I guess... I hope I'm wrong!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, when I saw 600K for Nashville Yards I was pretty amazed.  5th and Broad was said to double the DT retail space by itself alone.  I think it'll be absorbed easily, though.  Downtown is exploding.  IIRC, in the 2000 census there were 440 people living downtown and now it's 11,000 and growing fast.  The increase in tourism is massive and so is the increase in office space.  Try to recall what Sobro looked like 10 years ago.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.