DOWNTOWN RETAIL WISHLIST

smeagolsfree

23 minutes ago, donNdonelson2 said:

Please note that Nashville Yards says they will have 600K sq feet of retail and ENTERTAINMENT. I have a feeling a lot of that space is the entertainment part of the equation.

Yeah, that performance venue and other things of that nature (is the movie theater still a go?) are counting towards that total. I would guess 300,000k tops without that space 

• Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 9:46 PM, smeagolsfree said:

Well gotta be legal first and it will be a while before the state turns blue again. But as for the rest of the above I agree. Cheap food may be comming in the food hall at 5th plus Broad. Wish we knew what retail was going to Nadhville Yards as there is supposed to be a lot.

I don’t think the state has ever been blue and hope it never is. 

• Confused 1

If the retail we get is the retail listed with The Staple Center, then keep it. The bowling alley and theater is fine, but the rest of the retail is rather bland and useless. Give us something exciting. Im sorry the restaurant list IMO is so blasted sad. We have so many sorry restaurants in Nashville that cost so much I just refuse to spend any money in them any more.

What ever happened to the concept of Keep it simple stupid...When traveling I have my bexst experiances in the cheaper places to eat that  Are locally owned, and enjoy the interesting shops that are not chains that are locally owned. A perfect example is The Old Market in Omaha, or the many places in small town america that big business have not infiiltrate like a Bennington Vermont ot Gettysburg PA.

Of coarse the price of rent keeps most of the mom n pop type retail types out, but still.... more restaurants...we need that like we need more homeless parks downtown.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cda said:

I don’t think the state has ever been blue and hope it never is. 

Tennessee was consistently Democrat - in regards to representation on the national level and in the state legislature - until around the time of Bush II and Obama. The South used to be solidly democratic for 150 years, when the Democratic Party was more of a “big tent” party that had room for social conservatives. Ironically enough I see the Republican Party as more of a big tent party nowadays, in regards to ideology/political positions. 

Back to the topic- earlier someone mentioned something like a Macy’s or JCPennys, and I love this idea. A few of these in an area covering 3 or 4 blocks would be great. Maybe if the dealerships between midtown and the Gulch are ever developed they could put a few of them in there. Something like the SAP project could be built but instead of a luxury hotel on the “base,” a multi level Macy’s or something like that. 

Downtown doesn’t need a big department store but I think it could very well support a meticulously-curated small department store. Problem is that Macy’s, Belk, Dillard’s, etc... they don’t [know how to] do that.  Macy’s has closed almost all its downtown stores - doing so while it’s obvious that city living is back and not going anywhere. 

On 11/24/2018 at 9:10 PM, donNdonelson2 said:

Big department stores are dinosaurs-I would be very surprised to see one proposed, much less actually opened, in our city’s core.

Wouldn't it be amazing (pun intended) if Amazon opened some cool 'brick and mortar' retail concept that let's you shop all of Amazon in one location, and pick up packages just two hours after ordering.  Sort of a live online shopping experience with 24/7 two hour delivery from warehouse to this location.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mr_Bond said:

Wouldn't it be amazing (pun intended) if Amazon opened some cool 'brick and mortar' retail concept that let's you shop all of Amazon in one location, and pick up packages just two hours after ordering.  Sort of a live online shopping experience with 24/7 two hour delivery from warehouse to this location.

I could swear I've seen it mentioned elsewhere recently that Amazon is testing this idea in other cities. 

3 minutes ago, Mr_Bond said:

1 minute ago, Jamie Hall said:

I could swear I've seen it mentioned elsewhere recently that Amazon is testing this idea in other cities. 

Amazon Go is a model they have been working on for several years now.

https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16008589011

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryanpearson/2018/10/12/the-cashier-free-dilemma-4-ways-amazon-go-model-will-change-the-shopping-trip/#6e66423158e4

Could dramatically change the inner city shopping experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bos2Nash said:

We actually just had the discussion that downtown needs a good deli style shop. someplace a little more local for sandwiches rather than chain places like potbelly. Hell there isnt even a Subway close by anymore (at least not that I have found)

Rae's on Union St. is a very good local option for deli-style sandwiches.    Deli Daves in the Arcade is/was good, but last time I was by they were closed, either for renovation or for good, not sure.    Frothy Monkey actually has a great lineup of sandwiches.      Also the new place D'Andrews on Church St.    Lots of other small local sandwich-y places in the Arcade and sprinkled throughout downtown.   

As for chains, there are Subways at 6th/Church and at 5th/Union;  Jersey Mikes in the Stahlman building on Union;  Jimmy Johns in the 5th Third building on 5th;   Panera in the SunTrust building at 5th/Commerce.  

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, CenterHill said:

Rae's on Union St. is a very good local option for deli-style sandwiches.    Deli Daves in the Arcade is/was good, but last time I was by they were closed, either for renovation or for good, not sure.    Frothy Monkey actually has a great lineup of sandwiches.      Also the new place D'Andrews on Church St.    Lots of other small local sandwich-y places in the Arcade and sprinkled throughout downtown.   

As for chains, there are Subways at 6th/Church and at 5th/Union;  Jersey Mikes in the Stahlman building on Union;  Jimmy Johns in the 5th Third building on 5th;   Panera in the SunTrust building at 5th/Commerce.  

There is also a Jimmy Johns in the Encore on 3rd. 

9 minutes ago, Jamie Hall said:

Isn't Nashville's downtown active enough now to support a dine-in-only McDonald's or other fast food chain?

Downtown had a McDonald's, Wendy's and Arby's years ago. Some closed down after they became psuedo shelters for homeless. Others, I think, just couldn't cope with the high rent and competition. There is/was a Chick-fil-A in the ATT building.

19 minutes ago, PHofKS said:

Downtown had a McDonald's, Wendy's and Arby's years ago. Some closed down after they became psuedo shelters for homeless. Others, I think, just couldn't cope with the high rent and competition. There is/was a Chick-fil-A in the ATT building.

There's a Chick-fil-A in the TN Tower also.  I believe it moved from ATT.

• Like 1