Jump to content

East Memphis and University District News & Developments


VSRJ

Recommended Posts

On 8/5/2019 at 1:11 PM, VSRJ said:

Great to see the UofM expanding (recreation facilities) into Audubon Park:

City of Memphis, University of Memphis and Tennis Memphis Partner to Begin Leftwich Tennis Center Expansion

memphis-tennis.JPG.6ae94c0b42dbbdf579f1db438a3ec621.JPG

Full press release: https://gotigersgo.com/news/2019/8/5/general-city-of-memphis-university-of-memphis-and-tennis-memphis-partner-to-begin-leftwich-tennis-center-expansion.aspx

More renderings are available here: https://gotigersgo.com/galleries/?gallery=999

 

Permits pulled for start of construction on this project.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/15218/city-files-for-permit-to-enlarge-leftwich-tennis

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Mixed-use development proposed for Poplar Plaza’s corner at Poplar & Highland

Plans to demolish the buildings at Poplar/Highland in Poplar Plaza and replace them with apartments over retail.   Story behind the Daily Memphian paywall.  Plans call for two new buildings 6-7 stories tall.  No confirmation on how many apartments.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/business/article/15292/taller-mixed-use-development-proposed-for-poplar

 

"The owner of Poplar Plaza plans to transform the center’s most prominent spot — the northwest corner of Poplar and Highland — with two taller buildings housing retail on the ground floor and apartments above."

"The larger building facing Poplar appears to extend from Highland west, ending at an interior road into Poplar Plaza.

The smaller building fronting South Highland appears to extend north, stopping where the existing Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop operates.

The project comprises 5.1 acres on the corner of the giant shopping center.

The city’s first suburban shopping center was built in 1951 and totals 350,000 square feet of commercial space.

The corner building at Poplar and Highland anchors a major intersection. The space has been vacant since 2017 when Spin Street record shop closed."

1.jpg.e0f3da3c3ce4d808882bb80a654f8172.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well that was unexpected. I think they just finished a (minor) modernization of the facade. I do wish they'd axe the parking between the building and street, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Well that was unexpected. I think they just finished a (minor) modernization of the facade. I do wish they'd axe the parking between the building and street, but I suppose beggars can't be choosers. It will be interesting to see where this goes.

They did do a facade treatment on the smaller building with the UPS Store.  Don't know if they've done anything since with the larger building that has Petco and Party City.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 7/6/2020 at 8:05 PM, DRG901 said:

Mixed-use development proposed for Poplar Plaza’s corner at Poplar & Highland

Plans to demolish the buildings at Poplar/Highland in Poplar Plaza and replace them with apartments over retail.   Story behind the Daily Memphian paywall.  Plans call for two new buildings 6-7 stories tall.  No confirmation on how many apartments.

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/business/article/15292/taller-mixed-use-development-proposed-for-poplar

 

"The owner of Poplar Plaza plans to transform the center’s most prominent spot — the northwest corner of Poplar and Highland — with two taller buildings housing retail on the ground floor and apartments above."

"The larger building facing Poplar appears to extend from Highland west, ending at an interior road into Poplar Plaza.

The smaller building fronting South Highland appears to extend north, stopping where the existing Baskin-Robbins ice cream shop operates.

The project comprises 5.1 acres on the corner of the giant shopping center.

The city’s first suburban shopping center was built in 1951 and totals 350,000 square feet of commercial space.

The corner building at Poplar and Highland anchors a major intersection. The space has been vacant since 2017 when Spin Street record shop closed."

1.jpg.e0f3da3c3ce4d808882bb80a654f8172.jpg

 

Poplar Plaza redevelopment has been approved.  From the Daily Memphian

 

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/16153/planning-board-approved-poplar-plaza-redevelopment

 

"Owner Finard Properties plans to demolish the two buildings anchoring the center’s most prominent corner, at Poplar and Highland.

 

The larger one, facing Poplar, now houses Petco, Party City and the corner space vacated in 2017 by Spin City. The building originally housed Lowenstein’s department store.

The smaller building, facing Highland, houses Mister Hats, the UPS Store and AT&T.

In nearly the same footprints, Finard plans to build mixed-use structures. Parking will be underground, commercial space on the ground floor and apartments on the upper floors."

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I wish they would take that building all the way to the sidewalk. That parking lot wrapping it reminds me of the Hines mixed use 2525 West End next to Vandy's campus. Really detracts from the urban look of the development.

Agreed 110%. If they're building new, why not?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


1 hour ago, MLBrumby said:

I wish they would take that building all the way to the sidewalk. That parking lot wrapping it reminds me of the Hines mixed use 2525 West End next to Vandy's campus. Really detracts from the urban look of the development.

Yes, that would be ideal.  But, I'm sure they are looking at it that the parking lot is already there and if they keep it the same and just rebuild within the current building area, they can save money by not tearing up asphalt/concrete and redoing curbs and what not.  Everything else in that area is set back with street side parking lots, so I'm sure there's no pressure to go with a more urban layout.  It would be nice if they did do it that way, and set the tone for any future developments in the area.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

More apartments coming to the University District:

$19M off-campus student apartment building planned near University of Memphis

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2020/08/18/indiana-developers-plan-19-m-student-housing-building-near-u-m/5602532002/

midland.thumb.jpg.8588f7b6b6bf33925fa4d64ce318bcf6.jpg

The Annex Group, an Indianapolis-based development company, has plans to build a new off-campus student housing building near University of Memphis.

The development will be a $19.1 million project at 3601 Midland Ave and will have 85 units, the company announced.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

 

U of M, ‘private entity’ plan dorm-like development stretching from Central to Poplar

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metroeducation/article/16521/u-of-m-private-entity-propose-student-housing-that

The University of Memphis plans to partner with a “private entity” to replace a row of about 16 houses — from Central to Poplar — with a gated, dorm-style development.

The five, four-story buildings would line the west side of Deloach with a total of 135 units that house 529 bedrooms, according to documents filed with the Board of Adjustment.

The 5.6-acre development generally follows the campus master plan in expanding the northwest border of campus to Poplar.

The new development’s south end, at Central and Deloach, would include a 2,500-square-foot commercial space for perhaps a restaurant and coffee shop.

36795_1200

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Massive Parkside at Shelby Farms project returns, with new design

News on Parkside at Shelby Farms.   Plans to put the hotel on hold for now, hope to see this break ground soon.  Behind the MBJ paywall

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/09/01/massive-parkside-projec.html?iana=hpmvp_memp_news_headline

 

"Parkside at Shelby Farms — the $375 million mixed-use project that landed a $96 million tax incentive in 2018 — will soon appear before a public body once again.

Developer Bob Turner is seeking Land Use Control Board approval to break off the relatively small hotel and retail components from the previously planned mixed-use buildings on the site's southeast corner. The 300-unit apartment building and a pair of retail buildings totaling about 15,000 square feet in that corner would be the first pieces of the development constructed. A boutique hotel would follow after "the economy figures itself out," Turner said.

"[We] gave the apartments more view of the park and the restaurants out front more view of the park and more open [space]," Turner said.

Turner said work on the project has continued for the last couple years out of the public eye because that's the way he likes to do business.

Depending on the speed of the permitting process, Turner hopes to start construction on the first phase in "a few months" and thinks it won't last more than 20 months. He said financing is "lined up."

 

 

 

 

 

parkside1.png

parkside2.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Ugh I wish this thing would die. It would be a detriment to that area.

I have mixed feelings about it.  If done right I think it could be a nice project.   Seems a little out of place.. but I've always thought there should be more around the park.  I know many disagree with that.  I love all the new things they have built, really adds a lot to it.  I've always thought it was a little underutilized.   I know there is another project farther East under construction and a third in between (I think) that is also proposed.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'm very protective of Shelby Farms and Memphis' tree canopy. Just the number of trees that would need to be removed for this is almost criminal. I'm very pro-density, but I don't think this area, comprised mostly of single-family homes, is conducive to that.

424665727_ScreenShot2020-09-03at10_16_59PM.thumb.png.71104f5093021d694e1162d6aa6028b3.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, VSRJ said:

I'm very protective of Shelby Farms and Memphis' tree canopy. Just the number of trees that would need to be removed for this is almost criminal. I'm very pro-density, but I don't think this area, comprised mostly of single-family homes, is conducive to that.

424665727_ScreenShot2020-09-03at10_16_59PM.thumb.png.71104f5093021d694e1162d6aa6028b3.png

I got ya. I like trees too. I wish developers would plan to keep more mature trees and even plan around them instead of completely clearing things just to plant some puny maples in which half will die, and the other half take 40 years to mature. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am also concerned about the massive Parkside at Shelby Farms project. It is far too much of the same, the design is completely  cookie-cutter.
The great thing about the massive Union Row project is that each segment of buildings has a unique design theme. The Union Row architectural facade design includes a variety of height, massing, roof form, materials, and colors. The Parkside looks like repetitious brutalistic European public housing.

Edited by DowntownUrbanite
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

National search underway for developer for Racquet Club site.

From the Daily Memphian (subscription)-   9.3 acres of the site to is what is to be redeveloped with (hopefully) the idea to tie in the office towers/Brookhaven Circle etc into one large district.   2 acres closer to the Lexington Condos are being sold to those developers for more condos.

 

https://dailymemphian.com/subscriber/section/neighborhoodseast-memphis/article/16680/racquet-club-east-memphis-sanderlin-superblock

"The owners of the old Racquet Club property have retained JLL real estate brokerage firm to launch a national search for the kind of developer that will build an “extremely high-quality project.”

The vision for a “superblock” has been discussed several years for the area bounded by Poplar, Mendenhall, Sanderlin and White Station. The potential, Wohrman said, could be “transformative” and “catalytic” not just for the district but for Memphis.

The superblock vision is built on the realization that the block surrounding the Racquet Club already has nearly all the ingredients for a dynamic district.

The adjacent Clark and iBank towers hold, for Memphis, a massive amount of office activity. Dozens of restaurants are inside or on the edge of the block. The block hosts two substantial grocery stores, a Kroger and Whole Foods. And Malco’s Paradiso multi-screen movie theater anchors the entertainment.

Just east of the tennis club property, at the southwest corner of Sanderlin and White Station, are the Lexington’s 54 condo units. Lexington developers George Bryan and Michael Turley recently exercised an option to buy 2.3 acres of what had been a nearly 12-acre tennis club property. 

<strong>Demolition of the sprawling Racquet Club complex appeared more than halfway completed by Friday, Sept. 4.</strong> (Tom Bailey/Daily Memphian)

Edited by DRG901
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

California firm plans major renovations for apartment complexes near U of M

More renovations, there's a lot of money being poured into this area right now.  Behind the MBJ paywall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/09/14/forge-partners-buys-apartments-near-university.html?iana=hpmvp_memp_news_headline

"California-based Forge Partners continued its Memphis buying spree this week, with the purchase of Mimosa Gardens and Williamsburg Manor for a combined $6.1 million.

Currently, the properties feature window units, few amenities, and poor roofing. Forge partner Matt Campbell said renovations will include windows, roofing, central air conditioning, countertops, cabinetry, modern appliances, and the addition of amenities such as grills, bocce ball courts, and possibly swimming pools.

"We're really rebuilding the properties," Campbell said. "People appreciate something that's older with the old wood floors, but they also want a new kitchen."

Mimosa Gardens is located at 180 S. Highland St. and 3531 Poplar Ave., bordering the Firestone shop on two sides. Williamsburg is located just west of the Poplar Plaza Kroger, at 27 S. Prescott St. Combined, the complexes contain 82 units.

The properties' high visibility, walking distance to retail, and proximity to the University of Memphis were major draws for Campbell.

After the renovations, he said the units will be comparable to those in newer complexes and will be priced accordingly.

Forge Partners spent $65 million on Highland Row — which was built in 2017 and contains 354 apartments and 27,500 square feet of commercial space — in March. And, in August, it spent $4.8 million on The Parkview at Memphis, a senior living facility with 129 units that opened in 1923."

"We really think Memphis is a special place right now in terms of the opportunity to create a higher level of residential living experience," Campbell told MBJ in August. "We're in search of additional opportunities."

 

 

pop,ar.png

Edited by DRG901
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sold on the design, but it's good to see this dated building receiving a refresh:

Pittsburgh investor plans 'complete revamp' of apartments near U of M

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/09/22/luther-tower-near-university-of-memphis-remodel.html

screen-shot-2020-09-22-at-115612-am.thumb.png.974b5848989bd865b785bf3321382fdf.png

"A Pittsburgh-based multifamily investor is transforming the senior living towers at 274 S Highland St. into high-end apartments for all ages."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/3/2020 at 8:45 AM, VSRJ said:

Ugh I wish this thing would die. It would be a detriment to that area.

I think it would be great to that area, Memphis needs walkable areas in more than just downtown.

2 hours ago, VSRJ said:

I'm not sold on the design, but it's good to see this dated building receiving a refresh:

Pittsburgh investor plans 'complete revamp' of apartments near U of M

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2020/09/22/luther-tower-near-university-of-memphis-remodel.html

screen-shot-2020-09-22-at-115612-am.thumb.png.974b5848989bd865b785bf3321382fdf.png

"A Pittsburgh-based multifamily investor is transforming the senior living towers at 274 S Highland St. into high-end apartments for all ages."

The colors look really nice i drove by yesterday and they were painting the strips on the stair tower

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.