Midtown Memphis News & Developments (Cooper Young, Overton Sq., Orange Mound, Fairgrounds, Crosstown, Broad)

VSRJ

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

An update on the former police station property on Union:

‘Union Station’ would bring hotel, retail and residences to Union Ave.

By Tom Bailey, The Daily Memphian

https://dailymemphian.com/section/business/article/22801/memphis-union-station-development-can-bring-hotel-retail-residences-to-midtown

A mixed-use development called “Union Station” and comprising three parts — a hotel, retail building and apartments/condos — is proposed for the city’s closed police precinct property at 1925 Union in Midtown.

The development partners for the $20 million-plus project are G2 Venture Group led by Sam Patel and Dipesh Patel, and Patton & Taylor Enterprises construction firm led by Lee Patton and Cameron Taylor.

Renderings, site plan and development documents show:

• A four-story hotel of 19,600 square feet and 120 guestrooms. The hotel will have a restaurant and indoor swimming;
  • An 8,750-square-foot retail building for six tenant bays. Developers left open the option for a vehicular drive to split the building. A restaurant’s outdoor dining space fronts the building;
  • And in the rear, four, three-story apartment/condo buildings housing a total of 32 units. Designated, covered parking is on the ground floors. The residential units are 950 square feet each.

Renderings (All images courtesy of designshop):

union-station-01.jpg.f793402d90e7cd4cb3ffac2fffef27a7.jpg

union-station-02.jpg.9c7edc1979386abd673c72b19d76d0d5.jpg

union-station-03.jpg.79f1da7297ff67f3254e7b311d47af4f.jpg

union-station-04.jpg.3eee06f887554a55ec06b258ef005222.jpg

union-station-05.jpg.2b65a5a47f8f1705b2563415425d8b4f.jpg

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

Nice! The name makes me wish there was a train/mass transit tie-in.

There was a Union Station  once upon a time on 3rd Street (B.B. King Boulevard). The site is now home to the main Memphis branch of the U.S. Post Office.

Edited by James Owen
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, James Owen said:

There was a Union Station  once upon a time on 3rd Street (B.B. King Boulevard). The site is now home to the main Memphis branch of the U.S. Post Office.

I know, I try not to think about it. Makes me too sad knowing we lost it.

On 7/5/2021 at 9:46 PM, VSRJ said:

I know, I try not to think about it. Makes me too sad knowing we lost it.

Doesn't Memphis still have Amtrak service?  Nashville hasn't had it since 1979 and the city is hoping that the Biden administrations plan to expand Amtrak will go forward because it includes Nashville to Atlanta.  The disappointing part is there are no plans to connect key locations in TN other than Chattanooga and Nashville.  It just seems logical to me that Amtrak service should span the state and include Chattanooga, Cookeville, Jackson, Knoxville, Memphis, Murfreesboro, Nashville and upper east TN (Bristol or Kingsport).  That would be the key to reducing automobile travel to some degree.  

1 hour ago, PillowTalk4 said:

Doesn't Memphis still have Amtrak service?  Nashville hasn't had it since 1979 and the city is hoping that the Biden administrations plan to expand Amtrak will go forward because it includes Nashville to Atlanta.  The disappointing part is there are no plans to connect key locations in TN other than Chattanooga and Nashville.  It just seems logical to me that Amtrak service should span the state and include Chattanooga, Cookeville, Jackson, Knoxville, Memphis, Murfreesboro, Nashville and upper east TN (Bristol or Kingsport).  That would be the key to reducing automobile travel to some degree.  

Yes, there is Amtrak service in Memphis.  It's on the Chicago-New Orleans line and the station is at Central Station.  Chicago train departs at 10:40pm, New Orleans train departs at 6:40am.  Both have numerous stops in between.  

The reason why there isn't the service that you suggest is that it's not financially feasible.  There isn't enough volume to justify expanding it.  In the NE it works better because distances are shorter, traffic is worse, and not as many people have cars.  It's not efficient in the South.  Sometimes, the cost for a ticket isn't much different than a plane ticket.  You can also get in a car and drive there quicker than taking the train.  

• 4 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Overton park gateway apartments

1888463160_20210731_094910(2).thumb.jpg.5de3a220743c9fd589320d818b2f36e7.jpg

Maybe it's me, but I really wanted the apartments in this area to be atleast the 4-5 floors. I know that was originally proposed, the neighborhood was against it. The design is too suburban and doesn't feel like you're in a urban Midtown area. 

On 8/4/2021 at 9:17 AM, TheKernel91 said:

Maybe it's me, but I really wanted the apartments in this area to be atleast the 4-5 floors. I know that was originally proposed, the neighborhood was against it. The design is too suburban and doesn't feel like you're in a urban Midtown area. 

Context though it is along the parkway which has lots of residential homes.  I think the scale and feel is about right.

11 hours ago, Memphis4ever said:

Context though it is along the parkway which has lots of residential homes.  I think the scale and feel is about right.

I too wish they would have made higher rises in these new developments, so that they would  overlook Overton Park.  Similar to how there are several high rises that overlook Forest Park in St. Louis.  

• 1 month later...

If it wasn't already on your radar, Broad is an area to keep an eye on over the next 5-10 years.

Broad Avenue Townhouses proposed for Sam Cooper/Hollywood property

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2021/09/17/broad-avenue-townhouses-sam-cooper-hollywood.html

A local development firm wants to build a townhouse complex on a piece of vacant land at Sam Cooper and Hollywood.

The Broad Avenue Townhouses would be comprised of 21 units across two- and three-story buildings, according to a letter of intent dated Sept. 8 and filed with the Memphis and Shelby County Office of Planning and Development (OPD).

screen-shot-2021-09-17-at-122909-pm.thumb.png.a88e1bf60093784ef219d0e4750747cb.png

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Land Use Control Board approves Union Ave. development

Union Station would combine residential and retail with a hotel along 100 yards of desirable Union Avenue frontage at the former police station site.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/24709/memphis-land-use-control-board-approves-union-station-project

111_cam-01_detailed_AERIAL_v1.thumb.jpg.8391c293b01e1f3fff53aa9af283cbee.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VSRJ said:

Land Use Control Board approves Union Ave. development

Union Station would combine residential and retail with a hotel along 100 yards of desirable Union Avenue frontage at the former police station site.

https://dailymemphian.com/section/metro/article/24709/memphis-land-use-control-board-approves-union-station-project

111_cam-01_detailed_AERIAL_v1.thumb.jpg.8391c293b01e1f3fff53aa9af283cbee.jpg

I'm happy to see something get started. I'm not sure if I like the idea just yet. Probably will have to see more detail for renderings.

Im sure congestion in that area played a part in what was able to be built.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, GoodOmens said:

Central Yards going to the DRB next week. Seems they scaled back some by combining buildings and eliminating a garage. Not a fan but I guess its still better then vacant land....

https://downtownmemphis.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/10/Central-Yards-DRB-Application-21-4-2021.10.27.pdf

I guess some projects start very ambitious, and once they get more detailed with numbers they get real with what they're able to do. 

• 1 month later...