Midtown Memphis News & Developments (Cooper Young, Overton Sq., Orange Mound, Fairgrounds, Crosstown, Broad)

VSRJ

1 hour ago, TheKernel91 said:

Does anybody have a subscription to The Daily Memphian? There's a story today on William Townsend buying properties on Summer Ave to form a plan. It sounds interesting.  I wanted to know

Townsend buys 6th property on Summer Avenue's west end - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

"William “Bill” Townsend has struck again, this time buying and planning to renovate a strip shopping center where Summer Avenue meets Midtown.

Townsend Development LLC just paid $2,040,000 for the beige-brick, 32-year-old building at 2364 Summer.

The 14,803-square-foot strip center houses a Family Dollar, Subway and Best Wings of Memphis."

He now has at least six commercial properties on the two blocks:

• The vacant southeast corner of Summer and East Parkway, 2347 Summer
  • A vacant lot across from the Memphis Light, Gas & Water Division satellite office, 2419 Summer
  • The vacant southwest corner of Summer and Hollywood, 2451 Summer
  • The old Luciann Theater property that he has been renovating, 2432 Summer
  • The vacant, 97-year-old building at 2408 Summer where Townsend commissioned public art depicting Elvis and Tina Turner
  • And now the strip center at 2364 Summer

In addition, Townsend has purchased or is buying several residential properties adjacent to the Summer Corridor.

"In the long-term, Townsend plans to create a planned development for the empty lots and vacant buildings using New Market Tax Credits that are designed to spur job growth."

The City of Memphis is created a plan -- to be carried out with TDOT funding -- to make Summer more walker-friendly, to make the streetscape more visually appealing, and to calm, or slow, traffic.

The plan for Summer’s western two blocks includes a landscaped median, Townsend said.

“Neighbors want access to more retail places. They want a prettier streetscape. They want buildings with nice facades. They want a walking neighborhood.

“And they don’t want to feel displaced,” Townsend said.

“And we don’t want to displace anyone. We want to be an additive to the neighborhood.”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, TheKernel91 said:

Thanks that sounds great for Summer Ave. I wish that Antique Mall building could of been saved years ago.

Agreed.   And there was actually another article a few days ago about redevelopments for all of Summer from E Parkway to I-240.   

Officials near final plans for Summer Avenue improvements - Memphis Local, Sports, Business & Food News | Daily Memphian

"The main thoroughfare may soon receive some much-needed improvements between East Parkway and Interstate 240 to become a “complete street” that is safer for everyone, including drivers, pedestrians and bicyclists. In turn, the improvements would hopefully attract new businesses and people to the area. "

"According to designs, the corridor would receive some streetscaping and traffic calming with planted or brick paver medians, bike lanes and pedestrian walkways. And potential development and redevelopment could occur in various sites from East Parkway to North White Station."

"At Hollywood, three-story mixed-use, retail and residential developments could complement the new Link Apartments being built behind them on Broad Avenue. The site could also feature a community garden and dog park. 

“We’re hoping to build off of the momentum on Broad Avenue and the Link Apartments that are currently being constructed and captivating that momentum and moving it up towards Summer and creating a nice, walkable, urban type of area there,” Carson said

"At the Perkins intersection, Walgreens, Superman Discount and Fresenius Kidney Care would remain. But the northern parking lots could receive boutique-style restaurant and retail developments and the gas station, which typically hosts a food truck every day, could get a food truck plaza. "

"At the Village Shopping Center at Summer and Vaughn, some of the under-used parking lot could be converted to public space and the plaza’s facade receive rehabilitation."

<strong>Intersections, like Summer and Graham (pictured), would receive crosswalks, and protected bike lanes would be placed on the sides of the street between National and White Station.&nbsp;</strong>(Courtesy Bradyn&nbsp;Carson)

Intersections, like Summer and Graham (pictured), would receive crosswalks, and protected bike lanes would be placed on the sides of the street between National and White Station. (Courtesy Bradyn Carson)

<strong>Design concepts show the potential for developments in the parking lots at Summer Avenue and Perkins Road. Boutique-style retail and restaurant spaces could be built in the parking lots of the Walgreens and Fresenius Kidney Care; and Superman Discount, which hosts a food truck every day, would get a food truck plaza. (Proposed changes in red.)</strong> (Courtesy Bradyn Carson)

Design concepts show the potential for developments in the parking lots at Summer Avenue and Perkins Road. Boutique-style retail and restaurant spaces could be built in the parking lots of the Walgreens and Fresenius Kidney Care; and Superman Discount, which hosts a food truck every day, would get a food truck plaza. (Proposed changes in red.) (Courtesy Bradyn Carson)

• Like 1

On 12/3/2021 at 9:52 AM, TheKernel91 said:

Does anybody have a subscription to The Daily Memphian? There's a story today on William Townsend buying properties on Summer Ave to form a plan. It sounds interesting.  I wanted to know

No, but sometimes the subscriber stories end up on memphisdailynews.com so check on it this week.

***Sorry. Didn’t look at the next page here, but for future, Daily Memphian stories are there too. 

Edited by MDC26

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MDC26 said:

New 4-story parking garage planned at The Parkview on Poplar (Overton Park).  Looks like they may get a pool too.  Article says it is only 50% full.  

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/03/03/parkview-senior-living-apartments-memphis-parking-garage-midtown/9358216002/

Renderings show what the outside of the proposed parking garage could look like from across Poplar Avenue.

A site plan for the proposed 200-stall parking garage at the Parkview shows the garage located at the corner of Poplar Avenue and Buena Vista Place.

I wish the Zoo parking garage was still happening. Something minimalistic like that (and maybe half the size) would really alleviate the parking woes.

20 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

I wish the Zoo parking garage was still happening. Something minimalistic like that (and maybe half the size) would really alleviate the parking woes.

I think that is still a traditional parking structure.  The Zoo was planning for a modular parking deck that has a lower cost.  Unfortunately, they said the cost was still too high, as it went up after COVID.  

Here's what a modular parking deck looks like:

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 2:01 PM, MDC26 said:

New 4-story parking garage planned at The Parkview on Poplar (Overton Park).  Looks like they may get a pool too.  Article says it is only 50% full.  

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2022/03/03/parkview-senior-living-apartments-memphis-parking-garage-midtown/9358216002/

Renderings show what the outside of the proposed parking garage could look like from across Poplar Avenue.

A site plan for the proposed 200-stall parking garage at the Parkview shows the garage located at the corner of Poplar Avenue and Buena Vista Place.

The occupancy rate is 50%, because they're renovating the building. I don't like that entrance being on Poplar. 

• 1 month later...
On 3/6/2022 at 10:05 PM, JTM1 said:

The occupancy rate is 50%, because they're renovating the building. I don't like that entrance being on Poplar. 

No, they just renovated common areas in hopes of increasing occupancy. That has not worked, so now they are converting it from Senior living to market rate apartments. Will do full interior renovation, replace windows, and add central air to get rid of window units. Also scrapping parking deck plans.  Also applying for historic designation. 

https://dailymemphian.com/article/28090/mempis-parkview-apartments-may-shift-from-senior-living

5BC5CF5E-0A62-44A6-BB48-AE53C22D4A69.jpeg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Looks like a good opportunity for some adaptive reuse:

Former Carwile's Custom Cleaners on Central Ave. may be redeveloped for retail

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/12/14/carwiles-custom-cleaners-central-redevelop-retail.html

2022-06-24-central-ave-1.thumb.jpg.683046510a7862225218619b1b9c04cb.jpg

The former Carwile’s Custom Cleaners on Central Avenue may be converted into a retail building with space for several potential tenants.

Recent filings with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development show a request for an administrative deviation for an exception to allow for a sidewalk on one side of the property at 2178 Central Ave.

While the filing documents are light on details, they do show that the empty dry cleaner could be redeveloped with space for four separate tenants, as well as a shared balcony.

Edited by VSRJ

On 12/15/2022 at 3:14 PM, VSRJ said:

Looks like a good opportunity for some adaptive reuse:

Former Carwile's Custom Cleaners on Central Ave. may be redeveloped for retail

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2022/12/14/carwiles-custom-cleaners-central-redevelop-retail.html

2022-06-24-central-ave-1.thumb.jpg.683046510a7862225218619b1b9c04cb.jpg

Good location. Much upkeep will be needed in this area due to the Youth sports facilities not too far away. The families will probably frequent this area. 

• 1 month later...
On 1/25/2023 at 8:24 PM, MDC26 said:

Opera Memphis has found their home, and it’s not in the Edge. It’s at 216 S Cooper. Smaller building than i would have guessed. 
https://dailymemphian.com/section/arts-culture/article/33708/opera-memphis-moving-midtown-cooper-street-location

861D0305-AE20-41CC-8AE1-3CE4546C9A8D.jpeg

Interesting move. I’m all for adaptive reuse but it seems like a bit of step down from their previous location.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

It will be interesting to see what this looks like density-wise. I'm a little concerned by the inclusion of a (likely suburban-esque) Whataburger and townhomes...

EP3's plans for mixed-use development on Union include Whataburger, hotel, townhomes

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/02/10/ep3-union-station-whataburger-hotel-townhomes.html

Final and administrative plat reviews have been filed with the Memphis and Shelby County Division of Planning and Development for a redevelopment of the former police station on Union Avenue in Midtown.

That application shows a location of Whataburger, a 100 to 120-room hotel, and multifamily housing intended for the site.

The filings have been marked for review by the Land Use and Development Services. EP3 Developers purchased the former police traffic division site from the City of Memphis in April for $3.5 million.

According to the applications, the hotel will stand on the westernmost side of the property, which will be directly off Union. Parking will be toward the back of the hotel and the lot, with easements providing access. Directly next to the hotel is an unmarked lot with easements owned by the same development company.

According to a separate administrative site review application, the Whataburger would be located to the east of the hotel along Union. The group said it's prepared to go forward with the overall development.

19 minutes ago, VSRJ said:

It will be interesting to see what this looks like density-wise. I'm a little concerned by the inclusion of a (likely suburban-esque) Whataburger and townhomes...

EP3's plans for mixed-use development on Union include Whataburger, hotel, townhomes

https://www.bizjournals.com/memphis/news/2023/02/10/ep3-union-station-whataburger-hotel-townhomes.html

I was thinking the same thing. Since we’re under the 3.0 guidelines I hope it won’t be suburban-esque. Hopefully it’ll be in the mold of the Citizen. I’m glad that the powers that be realize that Union can’t be the Union of old anymore. With the success of ATL’s Peachtree and Buckhead, hopefully we can take a bit from those while not compromising what makes Memphis unique. In order to have a healthy downtown, the connected communities must have success (eg midtown, medical district, etc.). 

• Like 2

On 2/10/2023 at 4:00 PM, The Guardian of Memphis said:

I was thinking the same thing. Since we’re under the 3.0 guidelines I hope it won’t be suburban-esque. Hopefully it’ll be in the mold of the Citizen. I’m glad that the powers that be realize that Union can’t be the Union of old anymore. With the success of ATL’s Peachtree and Buckhead, hopefully we can take a bit from those while not compromising what makes Memphis unique. In order to have a healthy downtown, the connected communities must have success (eg midtown, medical district, etc.). 

I have no confidence that the City will hold the developer to 3.0. We will be lucky if we can avoid Whataburger’s dive-through facing Union Avenue.

13 hours ago, DowntownUrbanite said:

I have no confidence that the City will hold the developer to 3.0. We will be lucky if we can avoid Whataburger’s dive-through facing Union Avenue.

I'm less concerned about that than I am the hotel component of the redevelopment, which still doesn't have a brand attached to it. Compromises will be made to have the Whataburger comply with current Midtown Overlay guidelines, so I'll just leave it there.

12 hours ago, James Owen said:

I'm less concerned about that than I am the hotel component of the redevelopment, which still doesn't have a brand attached to it. Compromises will be made to have the Whataburger comply with current Midtown Overlay guidelines, so I'll just leave it there.

True. Don’t want it to be a low end brand. Please explain the overlay guidelines for a layperson like me. LOL. 

Per the MBJ, parking will be in the back of the property (which follows the 3.0 guidelines).