Honeywell HQ to Charlotte

CarolinaDaydreamin

1 hour ago, Miesian Corners said:

I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I'd save words like that for truly good work. This is a bland box on top of a podium of parking with fake brick. Is it offensive, no. But beautiful? Nah--not hardly.

I agree, but I'm trying to be positive.  Also, buildings of the calibre of BoA, DEC1,  Hearst, and 300 S Tryon are exceptions to the rule of simplicity/blandness in order to maximize profit.  I'd rather see short, decent boxes rise than nothing.

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, QCxpat said:

Today 10:15 a.m.

a2.jpg

This is a terrific vista, and makes the Honeywell tower look its best, IMO. If Lincoln Harris gets the structure on this corner right--something that doesn't blend with either structure but provides a nice contrast to both (even just a pure glass tower, a la LU 2--the intersection of Graham and Mint is going to be a surprisingly great experience. 

6 hours ago, QCxpat said:

a4.jpg

For all of the b-------g that goes on here about parking garage structures' screening, for me, at least, the one that's the worst never gets its due: The LU garage. (I realize that it may had its day in the complaint shade and the Ally garage is just newer.) But I will take 10 Ally garages, even in its present (unfinished?)  state over this one. I hate, hate, hate this screening more every time I see it. I know they actually spent a little bit of money on it, but this vast expanse of grey mesh just totally ruins this side of Legacy Union for me, and it really does no favors for the Honeywell building. The view from the Deloitte corner, whereby the garage is barley discernible, is tolerable. (And of course I love the Deloitte building.) Even a giant advertisement for the Panthers or Legacy Union or anything else covering this would be preferable, even no screening at all. I think it's that bad.  

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ertley said:

This is a terrific vista, and makes the Honeywell tower look its best, IMO. If Lincoln Harris gets the structure on this corner right--something that doesn't blend with either structure but provides a nice contrast to both (even just a pure glass tower, a la LU 2--the intersection of Graham and Mint is going to be a surprisingly great experience. 

For all of the b-------g that goes on here about parking garage structures' screening, for me, at least, the one that's the worst never gets its due: The LU garage. (I realize that it may had its day in the complaint shade and the Ally garage is just newer.) But I will take 10 Ally garages, even in its present (unfinished?)  state over this one. I hate, hate, hate this screening more every time I see it. I know they actually spent a little bit of money on it, but this vast expanse of grey mesh just totally ruins this side of Legacy Union for me, and it really does no favors for the Honeywell building. The view from the Deloitte corner, whereby the garage is barley discernible, is tolerable. (And of course I love the Deloitte building.) Even a giant advertisement for the Panthers or Legacy Union or anything else covering this would be preferable, even no screening at all. I think it's that bad.  

Please, please, please, can there be some incentive program to get all garage in Uptown to do this?  I know we have bigger problems in the world than addressing garage aesthetics, but this could only act to draw more people to treading uptown's streets.

Incorporate a Green Wall for Parking Garages | GSky Living Green Walls

"...green trend in parking garages is Biophilia. Scientifically speaking, humans are attracted to nature. Biophilia is a philosophy that refers to mankind’s biological connections to the natural world around us. Biophilic design takes this concept into the architectural realm, placing deep emphasis on incorporating the natural world into the environments we build. Decorative living walls and green spaces like GSky delivers are deeply rooted in biophilic design, bringing beauty and well-being to what might otherwise be rigid, concrete gray cityscapes."

• Thanks 2

Did the addition of the Honeywell parking make it break the world record? I seem to remember some bragging about it being the 5th largest parking garage in the world before the addition of Honeywell. The screening is bad on both the LU and Ally garages (so far anyway), but LU’s garage does beat Ally’s garage  on street presence.

Edited by King of the Queen City
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, RANYC said:

Please, please, please, can there be some incentive program to get all garage in Uptown to do this?  I know we have bigger problems in the world than addressing garage aesthetics, but this could only act to draw more people to treading uptown's streets.

Incorporate a Green Wall for Parking Garages | GSky Living Green Walls

"...green trend in parking garages is Biophilia. Scientifically speaking, humans are attracted to nature. Biophilia is a philosophy that refers to mankind’s biological connections to the natural world around us. Biophilic design takes this concept into the architectural realm, placing deep emphasis on incorporating the natural world into the environments we build. Decorative living walls and green spaces like GSky delivers are deeply rooted in biophilic design, bringing beauty and well-being to what might otherwise be rigid, concrete gray cityscapes."

Ascent tried and failed.

8 minutes ago, RANYC said:

I'm relatively new to Charlotte.  What's the backstory on this?

Ascent is a 33 story apartment tower overlooking Romare Bearden Park.  It is a podium style building with an open garage on the lower 10 levels or so.  They originally planned to have lush vegetation covering the garage and all that was done a few sprigs of plants that never amounted to anything.  However their original rendering showed lush vines and plants covering the garage.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KJHburg said:

Ascent is a 33 story apartment tower overlooking Romare Bearden Park.  It is a podium style building with an open garage on the lower 10 levels or so.  They originally planned to have lush vegetation covering the garage and all that was done a few sprigs of plants that never amounted to anything.  However their original rendering showed lush vines and plants covering the garage.  

Ah, OK.  Thanks for that background.  I don't see these vertical gardens/green-screens in most downtowns in America, so as much as I like them, perhaps they're cost-prohibitive?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, RANYC said:

Ah, OK.  Thanks for that background.  I don't see these vertical gardens/green-screens in most downtowns in America, so as much as I like them, perhaps they're cost-prohibitive?

I would say hard to keep up and grow but they can be done.  I took some photos of a green living wall along a depressed freeway in Houston and I have seen them here and there.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RANYC said:

I just dropped a note to Crescent Communities suggesting they consider "green-screening" the garage at Ally Charlotte Center.  Can't know unless you ask.

Both Ally and Legacy's garages would be ideal for a green wall, for hearty plants and/or vines, because both are south/southwest facing, with unfiltered afternoon sun exposure. 

Maybe someone should pay true homage to local heritage and plant some kudzu on either or both. Both garage faces would be completely covered by this time next year!

(To evince my true, deep roots in the Southland, I scan still remember Lewis Grizzard's bit from the '80s about kudzu, and unwitting folks going to sleep and night and waking up in the morning to find their houses engulfed.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1