Honeywell HQ to Charlotte

CarolinaDaydreamin

• 3 weeks later...
28 minutes ago, Urban Cowboy said:

When Spectrum Center's naming rights are up, Honeywell needs to jump on them. May I present:

"The Honeywell Hive"

Interesting tidbit.

Spectrum has the naming rights through 2028.

Funny origin story.  The reason  Time Warner Cable/Spectrum holds the  naming rights. Was due to an agreement that allowed the Bobcats/Hornets to get out of the horrendous TV deal they had with Time Warner Cable prior to switching to Fox Sports (Now Bally Sports).

https://www.fromthisseat.com/blog/19756-time-warner-cable-arena-home-of-the-charlotte-hornets-changes-name-to-the-spectrum-center.html#:~:text=Charter Communications bought out Time,home arena in Uptown Charlotte.&text=The original naming rights deal,and will expire in 2028.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Interesting tidbit.

Funny origin story.  The reason  Time Warner Cable/Spectrum holds the  naming rights. Was due to an agreement that allowed the Bobcats/Hornets to get out of the horrendous TV deal they had with Time Warner Cable prior to switching to Fox Sports (Now Bally Sports).

https://www.fromthisseat.com/blog/19756-time-warner-cable-arena-home-of-the-charlotte-hornets-changes-name-to-the-spectrum-center.html#:~:text=Charter Communications bought out Time,home arena in Uptown Charlotte.&text=The original naming rights deal,and will expire in 2028.

It is strange to me that the name of a city-owned venue would be controlled by a tenant's contract with another organization.

That's pretty much industry standard.  BofA Stadium for instance, though there are definitely exceptions.

It makes sense.....the sponsor has more at risk if the team fails/moves, and would want a contract with the main tenant (i.e. so they don't end up paying for a naming rights to an empty arena)

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CltFlyer said:

Interesting tidbit.

In 2005 Bob Johnson, then owner of the "Bobcats", wanted to make a sports channel of his basketball property. He had made big money on the Black Entertainment Channel in the cable world and saw an opportunity for a regional sports network here with his basketball team. He made an agreement with Spectrum to create a channel with his properties, including basketball. It was in what was then known as the "High Definition" tier of programming. Many televisions were incapable of viewing this technology and Spectrum was interested in driving viewers to a new revenue source. It was a disaster. The extra cost for what were limited assets in this tier meant the viewership and advertising were diminished to the point of risibility. A friend of mine who had the channel said it was interesting because during games there was so little advertising that the camera stayed on the court during time outs and play stoppages and there were the sounds of the arena and nothing else. Occasional ads for car repair and local businesses. Nothing national. Johnson was tied to Spectrum for years. He had been unsuccessful selling naming rights to the arena so offered to unload the arena name to Spectrum in return for an escape from the broadcast contract. Bob Johnson, business genius.*

*He divorced his wife of thirty years and she took over a billion dollars. (according to reports)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, turbocraig said:

That made me laugh.  Is that anything like Sugarwalls? :tw_sweat_smile:

sorry that is a new division of controls for thermostats on the wall  HoneyWall a possible division of Honeywell  You just think of the temperature you want and it adjusts your thermostat to your desired level coming soon in 2040

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

When is the next tower going to implement some kind of restaurant or observation deck in their tower?  Imagine BOAT having a wrap around observation deck out there with a nice restaurant and bar inside the pyramid with 360 views...I mean that would be awesome.  Devon tower (50 stories) in OKC has a rooftop restaurant Vast and there's not nearly as much to see in OKC than Uptown.  Our skyline is big/tall enough and now that it stretches into South End, we need some new tower in the future to step up and build something cool up there for all of us to see.  We all dont work at BOA or DEC or live at the Vue...we need a public space to view these awesome sights & sounds from above (plus it would be a tourist attraction).

What ever happened to the space that Slugs 30th edition had? I went to a White party there in 1995 when I first moved here.

• Like 2