Honeywell HQ to Charlotte

CarolinaDaydreamin

49 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

I know Legacys Megadeck is the one to hate but really the Ally Center deck with no ground floor retail (as Legacy megadeck has)  is more of a problem in my book.  It has no ground floor retail and the streetlevel experience is worse walking by it or will be.   We need to get rid of smaller fewer level parking decks like on S Church or the Duke deck and concentrate parking in larger decks.  

The Ally deck is prefab, so in the case where we no longer need decks, it can be disassembled. Ally itself is 5/6 retail, and 1/6 lobby. Bank of America Tower, and Deloitte both have TWO FLOOR VANITY LOBBIES. Ally managed to squeeze in over 35k of retail. BOAT has a 12k sq foot bank branch. 

Not to mention 90% of the green space frontage by legacy union, thus far, is lobby. Thats the biggest eye opening mistake ever.

Edited by Guest

28 minutes ago, 49er said:

I was hoping for Hearst (Truist) Plaza part 2 at Legacy but so far that does not appear to be the plan. 

I'm 90% sure its slated for the Police Land on 6th and Tryon

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, 49er said:

Cool. What I meant was how the Hearst frontage on Tryon is anchored by a big tower at the terminus and has human scale storefronts lining it. So far, Legacy feels sterile in comparison. 

Oh right, that should have been what it was like, but they failed. Legacy green space feels like an after thought. Unlike Railyard, and hopefully Ally.

Edited by Guest

The Ally deck is prefab, so in the case where we no longer need decks, it can be disassembled. Ally itself is 5/6 retail, and 1/6 lobby. Bank of America Tower, and Deloitte both have TWO FLOOR VANITY LOBBIES. Ally managed to squeeze in over 35k of retail. BOAT has a 12k sq foot bank branch. 
Not to mention 90% of the green space frontage by legacy union, thus far, is lobby. Thats the biggest eye opening mistake ever.

The Ally Deck at the new building covers the loading dock. Which is pretty big because it is shared by both the hotel and the office tower. The entrance to the loading dock is on hill street right near college. Not sure that deck is meant to ever come down.
Also yeah, people keep mentioning no retail on the college street side of the deck. The deck itself is pretty close to college street. There really isn’t room for street level retail.
There will however be retail and restaurants on the first floor and I think second floor of the office tower itself.

Side note - I’m not sure the deck will be getting any screening. Up close it does have a “finished” look to the material (sort of) other than all those squares in the center.
Maybe there will be screening over those squares at least.
Or maybe they are just waiting until there isn’t as much work going on all around it outside before they screen it.
I’ll ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, Yo Diaz! said:

The Ally Deck at the new building covers the loading dock. Which is pretty big because it is shared by both the hotel and the office tower. The entrance to the loading dock is on hill street right near college. Not sure that deck is meant to ever come down.
Also yeah, people keep mentioning no retail on the college street side of the deck. The deck itself is pretty close to college street. There really isn’t room for street level retail.
There will however be retail and restaurants on the first floor and I think second floor of the office tower itself.

Side note - I’m not sure the deck will be getting any screening. Up close it does have a “finished” look to the material (sort of) other than all those squares in the center.
Maybe there will be screening over those squares at least.
Or maybe they are just waiting until there isn’t as much work going on all around it outside before they screen it.
I’ll ask about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea find out please, I was told numerous times over the years there would be screening and here is a rendering of it screened.image.thumb.png.8eabd9de69888cb327be987cf472753d.png

And here is where they indicate that it will be screened at least partially.

image.thumb.png.ffd5ecbcb61a8bb1f6a144258b0d7b38.png

Edited by Guest

So this and the LU garage, retail and all, are atrocious, it's just as much the city's fault as I see it.   I do though truly believe Charlotte has some of the worst local developers of anywhere who simply want that extra .1% ROI than being proud about a development. And I don't mean by burying the parking as I get that is crazy expensive.

What I also don't get is why take up 60% of the block with a deck that makes little money.  Why not at least do podium parking and building on top??? At least get more developable land

• Like 1

Podium parking in itself has different issues.  Very hard to get rid of or convert to other uses and at least a freestanding garage could be knocked down like some will in uptown in the future.  

Parking is still needed in a city like Charlotte for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

Podium parking in itself has different issues.  Very hard to get rid of or convert to other uses and at least a freestanding garage could be knocked down like some will in uptown in the future.  

Parking is still needed in a city like Charlotte for the foreseeable future.  

I agree.  I would not be surprised if these garages are razed in ten to twenty years.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 6:04 PM, Tyree Ricardo said:

Yea find out please, I was told numerous times over the years there would be screening and here is a rendering of it screened.image.thumb.png.8eabd9de69888cb327be987cf472753d.png

And here is where they indicate that it will be screened at least partially.

image.thumb.png.ffd5ecbcb61a8bb1f6a144258b0d7b38.png

I can’t get over the couple million dollars worth of rendered cars they put in the valet. CGT there like NBD :lol:

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, KJHburg said:

This is one of the best companies in US I think since all this started their employees, their production.  Great to have them headquartered in Charlotte and I hope they grow beyond their own imagination and projections.

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2020/04/23/honeywell-unveils-10m-covid-19-relief-fund-for.html

Did they not force unpaid leave on their employees in March? 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/34897b75-a5f4-3e25-98d0-98d13ea3fb41/honeywell-plans-unpaid-leave.html

• Like 1
  • Sad 1