Broadstone Lake House | 9-story Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

dcluley98

9-story Mixed Use building on north side of Lake Ivanhoe.

260 units, 33,158 SF of office and live/work space. Ground floor 2,574 SF cafe with open-air seating facing the lake and public art. 

http://www.cityoforlando.net/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2017/04/MPBStaffReport2017-04_MPL2017-00006andAddenRv.pdf

1-61.jpg

1-60.jpg

1-64.jpg

Edited by dcluley98

LOL, they actually forced them to make it "stubbier" for the location. It was originally going to be 10 stories. The ARB had them chop off a floor and put in the cafe.  They had to put the giant wings on it to get the density with the cap on height for that area. 

Edited by dcluley98

The residents in Ivanhoe Village complained that it was too tall and "not fitting in with the neighborhood" - basically NIMBY'd it to make it shorter.  The developers were trying to make it taller, and apply for a variance for more density by making it mixed-use and some office retail. 

Bungalower reported a couple of times on the approval process and the neighborhood fighting the proposed project last year: 

https://bungalower.com/2017/03/21/broadstone-lakehouse-request-density-bonus-deferred/

"Eight people spoke against the project at the board meeting, including Gordon Spears and Michael Rizzo of the Lake Formosa Neighborhood Association, and College Park residents as well. A Change.org petition had collected 310 signatures at the time of this post."

https://bungalower.com/2017/04/18/mpb-approves-nine-story-residential-tower-lake-ivanhoe/
"Orlando resident Tom Young submitted a letter to the City, in regards to his opposition to the plan."

First i've heard of this project but I love it, glad to see mid-rise residential getting built outside of downtown! Along with the Yard at Ivanhoe, this is really going to make the neighborhood more vibrant; I hope the area and Mills continue to densify and create a secondary urban core built around the awesome Orlando Urban Trail.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

The residents in Ivanhoe Village complained that it was too tall and "not fitting in with the neighborhood" - basically NIMBY'd it to make it shorter.  The developers were trying to make it taller, and apply for a variance for more density by making it mixed-use and some office retail. 

Bungalower reported a couple of times on the approval process and the neighborhood fighting the proposed project last year: 

https://bungalower.com/2017/03/21/broadstone-lakehouse-request-density-bonus-deferred/

"Eight people spoke against the project at the board meeting, including Gordon Spears and Michael Rizzo of the Lake Formosa Neighborhood Association, and College Park residents as well. A Change.org petition had collected 310 signatures at the time of this post."

https://bungalower.com/2017/04/18/mpb-approves-nine-story-residential-tower-lake-ivanhoe/
"Orlando resident Tom Young submitted a letter to the City, in regards to his opposition to the plan."

Ironic that they use change.org when they are the one that resist changes. If they don't want highrises, why live so close to the city center?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, sunshine said:

Why did the city make them chop off a floor?

For the same reason that some in the area complain about the size and scope of Ivanhoe Place - fear of density.

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Gotta love College Park residents speaking out against development outside their own neighborhood. 

This design still needs a lot of work. I do like the addition of the cafe at ground level.

• Like 1

I like the addition of the cafe, and I don't mind the design at all. I think the architecture was limited by density and height requirements, but the style is not bad, per se , in material, features, and finish, IMO.  It looks good for what they had to work with. They are using the lake and park across the street to activate the site, with the cafe and steps up to it having outdoor seating and art features directed to the corner, as well as the pool deck having elevated, open view to the lake. I believe they changed the color scheme to fit the lake and call back to the blue neon Fairchild Chapel sign. Other night renderings show the main vertical blue features lit at night to reflect this call-back. 

gs-alliance-residential-apartments-land-fairchild-chapel-sale-ivanhoe-village-20170608.thumb.jpg.14620b82a3e7afe3375ac68944cd56e4.jpg 

I also like the fact that they have Live/Work units to keep in with the spirit of Ivanhoe Village which has a lot of independent businesses. It doesn't feel forced in that area and is better than large chain retailers on GF, IMO, and goes along with the "village" feel. 

Other interesting features are the varied balconies on the sides overlooking Orange and I-4, which will provide some visual stimulation, and look over to the lakes, I-4, and SunRail/The Yard on the West and East facades, and the extended horizontal fins of the premium corner-unit balconies that are very large and project toward the corner of Orange and Downtown with a feature pillar running the height of the building on the Southeast corner. 

The wings themselves are not symmetrical, and are designed in different ways to interact with the surroundings. The east wing is broader, and facing the lake with a point to the corner of the main thoroughfare. The west wing appears to be slightly rotated to the Southwest, and pointed, across the lake and towards I-4.  These little details are not un-noticed.

I think the architect did a very good job on the details of this building given the limitations they had to work with. Much better than other designs we have seen downtown, that have less limitations, other than a desire to be cheaper and lack of creativity. *Ahem*

I will reserve judgment until we see what it looks like in real life. This area is going to look a lot different in 2 years, but I think it could be a great area!  I would look at living there, for sure.  

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Nice enough building and it's good to see more urban development outside of the core, but dammit, it just sucks that we have to lose another one of our precious few older architectural gems in order to get it.

Not familiar with this area but looking at on Google Maps the Fairchild chapel does look very distinctive and I wish they could reincorporate it into the new development. Not normally a NIMBY but there's plenty of other non-historic parking lots to redevelop over. This Orlando Weekly article with the FairChild chapel on a list of 27 historic landmarks that haven't been destroyed is deeply ironic lol

https://photos.orlandoweekly.com/27-orlando-historic-landmarks-havent-destroyed-yet/?slide=1&fairchildd-greenlandconsulting

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I'm way too poor for that nonsense, LOL. I shall take my lot in life and eat my beans 'n rice in my apartment "close enough" to downtown and next to my trails and enjoy as much as I can. 

I know you're being facetious, but where there is a will, there is a way. You just need to be in the right place at the right time and have your sh.t ready to go when the time comes. I didn't inherit one cent from my dad's estate or get financial assistance from family, but I was able to make lemonade out of some very sour lemons.

Edited by nite owℓ

I intend to try not to own any property for a while and let my less tangible assets compound while learning some things about myself hopefully.  I own too much useless junk; it would have been better invested in education and my freedom. 

And I am not being that facetious, rent is exorbitant for a single person close to DT. They keep building units, but supply and demand does not seem to exist, rent still seems to go up.  I used to have a house down south once, and then that thing happened in which a lot of people lost their jobs and the ones that kept their jobs found themselves moved and exploited.  I no longer wish to own a home. . . I might buy one eventually, but bouncing around for a while seems nice at this point. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

I intend to try not to own any property for a while and let my less tangible assets compound while learning some things about myself hopefully.  I own too much useless junk; it would have been better invested in education and my freedom. 

And I am not being that facetious, rent is exorbitant for a single person close to DT. They keep building units, but supply and demand does not seem to exist, rent still seems to go up.  I used to have a house down south once, and then that thing happened in which a lot of people lost their jobs and the ones that kept their jobs found themselves moved and exploited.  I no longer wish to own a home. . . I might buy one eventually, but bouncing around for a while seems nice at this point. 

Which is another reason I have to chuckle about our desire to bulldoze quaint buildings so we can build yet another Baker Barrios monstrosity that some developer/landlord will charge usurious rents for while the tenants can barely scrape by when spending 50% or more of their income in our modest wage-scale economy.

I’ve lived for 17 years downtown in a 1960’s era building and my rent has remained stable for the last decade or more. I know my landlord and he fixes any issues promptly and he’s grateful that my check arrives reliably on the first of the month and don’t indulge in the wild parties of the 55 West crowd.

I have to make my own upgrades but it’s not a bad deal given that I plan to stay. Of course, one day the block may well disappear to build another high rise lacking in any charm so I have to temper the changes I might like. Best of all, the trees around me haven’t yet been demolished for acres of concrete.

Of course, this phenomenon is hardly unique to Orlando. In the Tales of the City series, former Orlandoan Michael Tolliver regularly extolled the virtues of living in Mrs. Madrigal’s homely building compared to the sterility of Mary Ann’s upscale  rooms at The Summit.

But, to each their own. I guess part of the urban experience is the constant struggle to make “progress” while attempting to maintain the very qualities that led us here in the first place.

Edited by spenser1058
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

This.  I *really* don't get it

+1.

I’ve been at my job long enough that I’m now no longer the young guy, and a new wave of kids have come in under me. I hear what they’re paying to live downtown, or more accurately what they’d have to pay to live downtown. It’s insane how much it has gone up in the 10 years since I was a renter in the Milk District and-before that- Greenwood.

Of course, when I was a renter the Milk District wasn’t a thing ... so there’s part of the reason. [emoji1745]‍[emoji3603]
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2018 at 1:43 PM, sunshine said:

Ironic that they use change.org when they are the one that resist changes. If they don't want highrises, why live so close to the city center?

Because they don't exist there currently, I think. This is exactly what I was talking about when I said I hated The Yard project- buildings being torn down and replaced with monstrosities that do not fit the neighborhood. Not all construction is "progress", in my opinion, and if this building is allowed to happen, the dominoes are going to fall rather rapidly all over Ivanhoe Village until it's nothing that makes it Ivanhoe Village anymore. 

This project shouldn't go here.

• Like 1

On 12/2/2018 at 10:09 AM, spenser1058 said:

Which is another reason I have to chuckle about our desire to bulldoze quaint buildings so we can build yet another Baker Barrios monstrosity that some developer/landlord will charge usurious rents for while the tenants can barely scrape by when spending 50% or more of their income in our modest wage-scale economy.

Actually, I would not have minded them bulldozing most of the Fairchild building if they'd just kept the tower portion in front, as it was the only part that had any real significance. 

Seems like a decent architect could have figured out a way to incorporate that tower into a new building design that fit better with its surroundings and helped maintain the flavor of the neighborhood.

Oh well. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Update from GrowthSpotter:

Design-build firm Finfrock will break ground in March on the $50 million Lake House luxury apartments. The front elevation is highlighted by a strip of aqua-colored LED lighting that reflects on Lake Ivanhoe.

https://www.growthspotter.com/news/residential-property-developments/multi-family/gs-new-developer-takes-over-50m-apartment-project-on-lake-ivanhoe-20190103-story.html#nt=oft03a-1la1