Broadstone Lake House | 9-story Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

dcluley98

On 10/12/2019 at 6:08 PM, spenser1058 said:

Are we talking about Lake Ivanhoe? If we are, the well-heeled neigbors haven’t wanted “those people” walking around their lake going back to the Frederick era.

Yes I was talking about Lake Ivanhoe, but as you know there basically two "Ivanhoes". I'm  not talking about the side within the neighborhood -- only on the Gaston Edwards Park side which is already an active public park with moderate pedestrian use, a dedicated public parking lot, public restrooms, dock, boat ramp, etc. There would be ZERO change in it's function with a path improvement/extension, plus I-4 acts as a buffer which severs a direct link into the neighborhood for any of the hypothetical unwanted stragglers. If anything, it would be a boon to the nearby restaurants/businesses. A boardwalk similar to Cranes Roost would have been nice (while taking into account any environmental factors and access for boats, etc.).

2114087423_lakeivanhoe.thumb.jpg.88b3107db5fb0f47d1b4f28edca14abd.jpg

18 hours ago, Naqiy90 said:

Wish something like this was getting built near Lake Underhill. I live in apartments next to Lake Underhill and love the area but wish there was restaurants and retail within walking distance .I ride my bike to the Milk district all the time but a local watering hole to watch the Magic would be nice. I know it's not zoned for commercial or mixed use but zoning is an infringement on freedom and should be abolished anyway.

I understand your point (and Conway Rd would be perfect for little shops along the strip down to Curry Ford), but you knew what you were getting when you chose to move to Lake Underhill. Now that you know the Milk District is more your style, you can start planning. IMO homeowners should always have the right to dictate what kind of zoning is best for their neighborhood. Some people intentionally move into single family zoning areas with limited multi-family zoning and it would not be fair to have mixed-use or commercial developments start popping up in an established neighborhood. IMO, zoning plays its part in contributing to the identity & cohesiveness of a neighborhood (for better or worse) so that's why it's important to select a neighborhood that matches your wish list and supports your vision for future growth prior to moving there instead of trying to bend the neighborhood's zoning to suit your needs -- especially when your ideal neighborhood already exists.  Similar to HOA's... I'll never understand why people move into an HOA community and then throw a fit or act confused when they get fined for disregarding the rules they agreed to.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 2

Using I4 as the western perimeter might make it palatable to the Ivanhoe crowd. It would be nice if Mayors Buddy, Bill and Commissioner Stuart (longtime College Parkers all assuming Buddy’s still in the ‘hood since his divorce) would present a united front to fend off any recalcitrant NIMBY’s in the bunch.

59 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

I understand your point (and Conway Rd would be perfect for little shops along the strip down to Curry Ford), but you knew what you were getting when you chose to move to Lake Underhill. Now that you know the Milk District is more your style, you can start planning. IMO homeowners should always have the right to dictate what kind of zoning is best for their neighborhood. Some people intentionally move into single family zoning areas with limited multi-family zoning and it would not be fair to have mixed-use or commercial developments start popping up in an established neighborhood. IMO, zoning plays it's part in contributing to the identity & cohesiveness of a neighborhood (for better or worse) so that's why it's important to select a neighborhood that matches your wish list and supports your vision for future growth prior to moving there instead of trying to bend the neighborhood's zoning to suit your needs -- especially when your ideal neighborhood already exists.  Similar to HOA's... I'll never understand why people move into an HOA community and then throw a fit or act confused when they get fined for disregarding the rules they agreed to.

A bunch of us got accused of trying to bend the neighborhood to our liking after we were chiming in about the Curry Ford Study.   I could never explain to them that I was literally doing the opposite.  Trying to prevent developers from building things like car dealerships there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nite owℓ said:

A boardwalk similar to Cranes Roost would have been nice

From Bungalower-

"Construction will begin near the intersection of Lakeview Street and West Ivanhoe Boulevard before continuing in other segments, as indicated below.

Work on the west end of Ivanhoe Boulevard will begin near the intersection of Lakeview Street and West Ivanhoe Boulevard, where they will construct a 10-foot wide concrete sidewalk along West Ivanhoe Boulevard (south side of the lake) that ties into existing sidewalk on the west end.

The sidewalk continues east under the interstate eastbound I-4 slip road from westbound Magnolia Avenue. From there the sidewalk crosses south over Magnolia Avenue, wrapping around the west end of Senator Beth Johnson Park and the soon-to-be-constructed Holocaust Museum, before connecting to existing sidewalks on S. Ivanhoe Boulevard.

The 10-foot wide sidewalk is being planned to accommodate bicyclists and pedestrians."

https://bungalower.com/2018/05/13/ask-bungalower-what-affect-will-ultimate-i-4-have-on-ivanhoe/

^^ Thank you, but I need a crude rendering to explain all of that. IIRC, those plans are not what I was advocating for. If it's an uninterrupted pedestrian loop, then good. If they're just widening sidewalks and adding new segments which still require pedestrians and bikes to cross busy streets then I'm not impressed because those are the basics which should have existed to begin with.

Edited by nite owℓ

51 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

^^ Thank you, but I need a crude rendering to explain all of that. IIRC, those plans are not what I was advocating for. If it's an uninterrupted pedestrian loop, then good. If they're just widening sidewalks and adding new segments which still require pedestrians and bikes to cross busy streets then I'm not impressed because those are the basics which should have existed to begin with.

It sure sounds like they’re maintaining the status quo as soon as you get to the NIMBY side of the lake. I do hope I’m reading it incorrectly.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

I am so glad you said that... I read the Bungalower post over and over- even pulled up a map and still could not make sense of it. Hopefully one of our transportation SMEs will chime in with an explanation.

But, yes, you are correct (I think). They do not intend to make a complete circular walkway.

I think spanning the lake would be a problem. In the case of Lake Underhill I assume boat traffic is not allowed on the north side of 408 due to the airport (?) and in Crane's Roost boats are not allowed(?). That is not the case here. Building a bridge across the lake would need to take into account boats passing under it. That may entail up to 16 feet of clearance from the high water mark- to clear ski mast. I'm sure someone here can tell us the correct angle of ramp degree to allow walking- I think in houses it is 1 foot of ramp per 1 inch of elevation. So you would need to start the ramp approximately 200 feet from the boat passage. Not that it couldn't be done, just how costly is it.

Please, someone that knows more about this feel free to chime in.

42 minutes ago, AmIReal said:

I am so glad you said that... I read the Bungalower post over and over- even pulled up a map and still could not make sense of it. Hopefully one of our transportation SMEs will chime in with an explanation.

But, yes, you are correct (I think). They do not intend to make a complete circular walkway.

I think spanning the lake would be a problem. In the case of Lake Underhill I assume boat traffic is not allowed on the north side of 408 due to the airport (?) and in Crane's Roost boats are not allowed(?). That is not the case here. Building a bridge across the lake would need to take into account boats passing under it. That may entail up to 16 feet of clearance from the high water mark- to clear ski mast. I'm sure someone here can tell us the correct angle of ramp degree to allow walking- I think in houses it is 1 foot of ramp per 1 inch of elevation. So you would need to start the ramp approximately 200 feet from the boat passage. Not that it couldn't be done, just how costly is it.

Please, someone that knows more about this feel free to chime in.

I've seen boats and jet skis on both sides of Underhill.  As far as I know there's no plans for any walkway on the north side of the lake to span from one side to that other. I suspect the NIMBY's would fear the homeless like they used to congregate on the south side of the lake.  Likewise there's no plan for an Underhill style walkway along the highway.  I'm actually shocked that Underhill one got built, but I'm glad it did.  From the Bungalower description it sounds like both sides of Ivanhoe west of I-4 have 10' sidewalks with the sidewalk along the lake literally running along the lake shore under the ramps and for some reason crossing Magnolia Ave.  I don't know how you do that without crossing Ivanhoe too.  Looking at the plans it appears that it does cross Ivanhoe at the ramp, and then crosses Magnolia again at the Statue of Liberty.

TBH even Lake Underhills

4 hours ago, codypet said:

I've seen boats and jet skis on both sides of Underhill.  As far as I know there's no plans for any walkway on the north side of the lake to span from one side to that other. I suspect the NIMBY's would fear the homeless like they used to congregate on the south side of the lake.  Likewise there's no plan for an Underhill style walkway along the highway.  I'm actually shocked that Underhill one got built, but I'm glad it did.  From the Bungalower description it sounds like both sides of Ivanhoe west of I-4 have 10' sidewalks with the sidewalk along the lake literally running along the lake shore under the ramps and for some reason crossing Magnolia Ave.  I don't know how you do that without crossing Ivanhoe too.  Looking at the plans it appears that it does cross Ivanhoe at the ramp, and then crosses Magnolia again at the Statue of Liberty.

I've never used the Lake Underhill walkway before, but the path seems a bit exposed to traffic noise (no solid partition between busy traffic and pedestrians - just a chain link fence). [MAP] Pretty scary if there is ever a collision right next to your head as you're walking by or a NASCAR style accident that breaches the chain link fence.:tw_grimace: The faux suspension cables still irk me... maybe it's time to convert the tower into a pylon?? (Unless @spenser1058 wants to drape himself over the faux suspension cables in the name of preservation in order to prevent the city from removing them.)

Anyway, I HIGHLY doubt the Ivanhoe sidewalk improvements will be anything meaningful for Gaston Edwards Park- the city is probably just installing sidewalks in barren areas that should have already had them. With Phase I of The Yard at Ivanhoe nearing completion (plus Phase II on the way) and with Broadstone coming online, the city should have invested in Gaston Edwards Park as I'm sure it will draw and encourage residents to walk from their homes and become a community gathering spot. There's a way to tastefully close the pedestrian loop by making it attractive, safe and well lit so that even the NIMBYs would use it after going out for dinner and then walk home. Just seems like a lost opportunity.

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, codypet said:

That's plenty of room for a jetski and jon boats.

Agreed, but not the ski boats that frequent both sides of Lake Ivahoe.

Even if the skiable lake was not an issue there are a lot of other problems related to ownership and costs. I assume with I4 being a fed road it would be much more difficult to fund then 408 (local owned).

Going back to nite owls original point, I would think a completed path would have been great and I'd bet the City looked into it. They likely came to the conclusion it was too hard/ expensive to pull off and I doubt the residents on the far shoreline had very little, if any, impact on the decision.

9 hours ago, nite owℓ said:

TBH even Lake Underhills

I've never used the Lake Underhill walkway before, but the path seems a bit exposed to traffic noise (no solid partition between busy traffic and pedestrians - just a chain link fence). [MAP] Pretty scary if there is ever a collision right next to your head as you're walking by or a NASCAR style accident that breaches the chain link fence.:tw_grimace:

It's not too terrible. The walkway is actually below the roadway, so there's more separation than you first might think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HankStrong said:

I'll third that.  It doesn't seem to be a huge deal when you're on it. 

No way a ski boat goes under the 408, but I see jet skis do it all the time.

I take my dog with me on it from time to time to get to the vet from my house and the weather is good.

I should have clarified.  I only see jon boats and jet skis on the north side of the lake.  I've never seen bigger boats than that north of the 408.   

• 8 months later...

We probably need to merge this thread with the Lake House thread. 

I saw the light last night, looked pretty good. Looks like the place is getting pretty close. Still no windows on the right front but the apartments on the left side look almost entirely built out. I doubt their original Mid-July date is still happening for the first section of units but it shouldn’t take that long. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I have an irrational appreciation for this building. 

It is done very well to maximize pre-fab with some elements of design that are both art-deco callbacks and modern.  

Really well done to maximize the benefits of the pre-fab system and speed of construction as well as robust construction and materials for residential while still being creative and having a bit of whimsy. 

I LOVE the circle precast cutouts on the top pre-cast panel overhang and the blue under-painting of the balcony decks. 

Very well done overall, IMO, and gives the building a character that is a bit unique for Orlando.  

• Like 4

The building turned out really well, I think it's going to age a lot better than The Yard will.  

So far most of the units are empty but I'm seeing more and more people there, over the weekend I saw a few people at the pool for the first time. From what I've seen the clientele of Lake House is a lot different than The Yard, it's a much more quiet and upscale crowd.

I think Lake Ivanhoe is such a great area because it's a mismash of young and old, rich and poor, gay and straight, beer drinkers and wine drinkers, blue collar and white collar, etc who all enjoy living next to each other. If Lake House can continue to pull in this upscale crowd I think it'll be a great compliment to The Yard, mostly young college grads, and the Pink Apartments, more middle age and middle class. 

• Like 2