Colonial & Magnolia Self Storage | 3-story Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

dcluley98

3-story mixed use building with Self Storage as primary business 96,907 SF on floors 2 and 3 and 11, 914 SF of retail/ restaurant and parking on the ground floor.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/07/ARB2017-10020report.pdf

Corner of Colonial & Magnolia:
1772406807_ColonialStorage1.thumb.jpg.94eea055578b7110de3881b8a7f6a8de.jpg

Colonial looking West:
942554203_ColonialStorage2.thumb.jpg.0c36b3aade69fea87391ca9c76eae493.jpg

Hillcrest & Magnolia looking east:
1695496136_ColonialStorage3.thumb.jpg.083f48509ab96fb571370c0fb58c0911.jpg

GF Site Plan and Site Location:
 413116884_ColonialStorageGFSitePlan.thumb.jpg.270386a744d84cb64f6b3eefbb6563e4.jpg

343020539_ColonialStorageLocation.thumb.jpg.47d2cc7e15476395ee07676caa5857fe.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I was thinking it would be a Starbucks, but they are putting one on Fern Creek/Colonial.  

What would really make sense would be the DT hardware store you all always are clamoring for. Self Storage and urban hardware store seems to go together a bit for people who are moving in/out and or temporarily putting stuff while they fix things. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

I was talking to my coworkers who are convinced that its Chick-fil-a.   I disagree because CFA is right down the road and they don't saturate areas like other fast food places do.  So who else could it be?

• PDQ - Maybe but I feel like they're still getting footing in the market to open something like that.
  • Zaxby's - Maybe
  • McDonalds - I feel like this is in the sweet spot between E Colonial, WP, SODO, and W Colonial
  • Burger King  -They just renovated the one just west of here.
  • Wendy's.  - They closed OBT/Colonial, but FH has one just up the road.
  • Dunkin.  - There's one just south of here in Cresent and one planned across from Lazy Moon
  • Starbucks - (we've already covered.  Also the hotel just to the north serves Starbucks inside)
  • Jimmy John's - Maybe. (This area is outside the delivery area for any of the other ones.
  • Panera - Nope.  (Probably not large enough)
  • Subway - Skyhouse has one nearby and there's one in WP and CP
  • Pollo Tropical - Another Maybe
  • Yum Brands (Tacobell Pizza Hut KFC) - Possible

Edited by codypet
  • Like 1

Only if they serve beer!  Haha! :tw_relaxed::tw_joy::tw_relaxed::tw_joy:

I still think it's going to be a Starbucks.  Starbucks do their homework and front run large developments, and are proven to saturate areas when they see a population increase coming in an area. Often, they have locations very close to other ones as long as the traffic is there. Also, there is limited parking under the building so it lends itself more to a quick pickup/drive through more, which is what a Starbucks or Dunkin' would be. I wouldn't rule out other large chains with urban stores such as McD or KFC or Taco Hell though, or one of the smaller sub shops that rely on drive through and deliveries like Jimmie Johns or Jersey Mikes. . . I highly doubt it will be a Chick Fil A. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 1

I haven’t heard it’s official yet. There was a liquor store on Washington in the early days of TP that didn’t last very long. Maybe this time will be a keeper.

Paul Bracker tried to get a Publix Liquors at The Paramount before he retired after WaMu crashed and burned but Sage Dental beat him out. I would have preferred the booze!

I was against this at first, but now, I'm thinking it may be a good addition, in that, it may have similar verticality that Steelhouse more or less has at Orange & 50.  True, I am upset they are leveling the property and removing that- older city-type of parcel elevation you see here and there.  But, it is a very visible corner.  Hopefully the Sentinel property doesn't use it's height and mass to match it's own development with when that ever gets off the ground.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

So the steel trusses are up for the 1st story.  One thing I noticed is Turner, (the company building this) has its construction offices in the old Sentinel Press building.  Wawa has also moved their truck staging into another part of the press building and away from the empty lot a block to the south.   Is there a plan for that southern block of the Sentinel?   I know the northern block has a few years left on their lease, but it sounded like once that's up, the Sentinel will likely move out of the building.

This is a combo of Structural Steel and CMU infill. Interesting structural design. Because of the use and the weight and spaces involved, this has a huge steel truss support system and a very large floor height. The first floor (now with decking on) seems to be like 18 feet tall. Will be interesting to see how high the building is when done. 

Storage 1.jpg

Storage Pano.jpg

Storage 2.jpg

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

They are starting the 2nd floor of this with structural steel going up. This building will be a lot taller than I expected. The floor heights are like 15 feet, I guess due to storage unit capacity. It will be over 40' tall and the corner will look very different. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Here's a photo of the decking going on the 2nd floor and the 3rd floor steel and stairwell/elevator towers up. Looks to be about 45-50' tall to top of 3rd floor, not including roof elements such as the parapets. 

20190508_170926.jpg

Such an iconic gateway to downtown! (Frankly, I think we should bring back the dynamic neon Phillips 66 sign that was about 10’ x 10’ - at least it was interesting at night).