Colonial & Magnolia Self Storage | 3-story Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

dcluley98

38 minutes ago, codypet said:

So I'm getting really annoyed with Turner not giving a crap that their workers are randomly crossing Magnolia amongst all the cars instead of using the GD crosswalk that bridges the site and their construction trailers.   I'm glad our engineering depts and FDOT went through so much trouble putting in a crosswalk so that people who are literally going from one side of the road to the other can cross willy nilly mid block where they're not supposed to.

https://imgflip.com/gif/1hf1jb

Nip it! Nip it in the bud! Build a wall!

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It probably does but, with all the motels from the ‘70’s around that are now obsolete, the counties should be able to figure out a way to come up with something besides leaving people at the whim of usurious landlords renting out slums in the making.

Those are OK if you want to live along W192 in Kissimmee. If one needs to live in Orlando to be near a job, that luxury is not as abundant. 

Of course, there are a coupla-few weekly/monthly former hotels over around the trail one could live in, if one can stand all the crime, drugs and prostitution that goes on in those places. And even they eat up a nice chunk of a minimum wage salary.

Some people have it rough no matter which option they take.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Those are OK if you want to live along W192 in Kissimmee. If one needs to live in Orlando to be near a job, that luxury is not as abundant. 

Of course, there are a coupla-few weekly/monthly former hotels over around the trail one could live in, if one can stand all the crime, drugs and prostitution that goes on in those places. And even they eat up a nice chunk of a minimum wage salary.

Some people have it rough no matter which option they take.

Actually, there are several along W.Colonial Dr and South OBT. 

Crime flourishes where property is uncared for. That’s the problem with slum lords - they don’t fix things, they just collect rents until the properties become uninhabitable and then write it all off on their taxes.

What an investment in affordable housing does is to fix up the properties including the required amount of security to push criminal elements away. As it becomes clear such activity is not acceptable (and actually doing something about it when residents complain), you can actually reduce that investment.

To end the cycle, either the city, the county or a cooperative venture with a non-profit is required.

As far as wage requirements, there can be subsidies (some cities use a dedicated sales tax, for example). The bully pulpit is also helpful. A politician, a journalist or an activist group thatcalls out bad actors both in terms of too low wages or in a refusal to invest in property maintenance can have more impact than you imagine.

• 1 month later...

WP_20190701_16_40_35_Pro.thumb.jpg.96427d7757cb8f0373eb2a01efcb3c83.jpg

On 11/30/2018 at 10:25 AM, dcluley98 said:

3-story mixed use building with Self Storage as primary business 96,907 SF on floors 2 and 3 and 11, 914 SF of retail/ restaurant and parking on the ground floor.

http://www.cityoforlando.net/city-planning/wp-content/uploads/sites/27/2018/07/ARB2017-10020report.pdf

Corner of Colonial & Magnolia:
1772406807_ColonialStorage1.thumb.jpg.94eea055578b7110de3881b8a7f6a8de.jpg

1 hour ago, Jvest55 said:

if it says "STORAGE" in big letters like that, it's going to look so cheap. 

That's pretty doubtful.

It's probably just shown that way to indicate where the signage is going.

Just like the vertical signs are not likely to say "SIGN".

22 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Looks like they VE'd some of the windows out. Typical. 

Are they allowed to do that after the final renderings have been approved by the planning board? How much money are they really saving by eliminating a couple windows, geez. This project is on par with Crescent Central Station: they're both wasted opportunities. I found the investment group's facebook page, they specialize in the scourge of storage units.

On ‎7‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 8:40 AM, codypet said:

I'm still curious what drive through establishment is going to be located in there.

Yes, we've moved to a point where we need drive-thru storage!  Put all of your junk in a storage facility in a hurry!  HAHAHA

• Haha 1

The Airbnb for America's Extra Crap Is Here

A startup called Neighbor bills itself as an “Airbnb for storage,” allowing hosts to rent out their empty sheds, closets and basements for other people’s stuff.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/07/storage-unit-for-rent-shed-neighbor-app-side-hustle-airbnb/592630/

This does not apply to what is being built here, I just thought it applied to the conversation.

1 hour ago, AmIReal said:

A startup called Neighbor bills itself as an “Airbnb for storage,” allowing hosts to rent out their empty sheds, closets and basements for other people’s stuff.

https://www.citylab.com/life/2019/07/storage-unit-for-rent-shed-neighbor-app-side-hustle-airbnb/592630/

This does not apply to what is being built here, I just thought it applied to the conversation.

I guess I have to wonder about all the media that insisted people (especially millennials) were no longer into stuff but wanted to spend on experiences instead. Meanwhile, all this storage stuff is proliferating. Color me confused.

On the other hand, for months the financial press has been insisting that Walmart e-commerce was going to blow away Amazon.

Now, Vox/Recode insists that’s not the case at all and Wally World and jet.com are having a civil war over their poor results. Fascinating. I think the internet has killed journalism.

Edited by spenser1058

18 hours ago, AmIReal said:

I did that for my sister for like 3 years when she told me it would be for like a month.  I bugged her about it over and over.  She never came for it and had moved out of state.  I told her that I was done holding it, she says "I don't need it, you can have it all.  I think there is some money somewhere in there and you can keep it, call it a rental fee."

If I was smart, I would've just burned it.  I can't/won't go into the gory details, but looking for that money (it wound up being like $30-40 tops) in the 3 tubs wasn't worth it.  The mental scarring that came with finding what I found of my sweet (RIGHT!) baby sister's in those tubs would take a lot more than that to heal.  Her reply: "Oops!  Sorry about that.  I guess I'm glad I didn't leave it at mom & dad's."

1 hour ago, HankStrong said:

The mental scarring that came with finding what I found of my sweet (RIGHT!) baby sister's in those tubs would take a lot more than that to heal.  Her reply: "Oops!  Sorry about that.  I guess I'm glad I didn't leave it at mom & dad's."

This is why everyone needs a Harvey Keitel type cleaner they can rely on. Someone who will deal with inconvenient issues when they arise and won't hold it against you/ blackmail you...

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

So no go on the Taco Bell Cantina. . . that's elsewhere DT. . ..

*sulkingly laments*

I guess we will have to do with 

konapokebowls - Kona Poké

The storage bros put up a banner this week that said "#EatShopStore" 

https://www.eatshopstore.com/?fbclid=IwAR2104tWiDSWT9pbvpOctWp-MtsE-6wLhBV7eEH9cnF6nAPNjoawPm7p_yM

https://deskgram.net/p/1983044517989113560_8632440149

https://konapokebowls.com/

https://deskgram.net/konapokebowls

A bit coy, yet drab and predictable at the same time. . . 

I was hoping for a Taco Bell. . .  

hmmm. 

Edited by dcluley98
  • Like 2

• 4 weeks later...