Sign in to follow this  
dcluley98

Colonial & Magnolia Self Storage | 3-story Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

38 minutes ago, codypet said:

So I'm getting really annoyed with Turner not giving a crap that their workers are randomly crossing Magnolia amongst all the cars instead of using the GD crosswalk that bridges the site and their construction trailers.   I'm glad our engineering depts and FDOT went through so much trouble putting in a crosswalk so that people who are literally going from one side of the road to the other can cross willy nilly mid block where they're not supposed to.

https://imgflip.com/gif/1hf1jb

Nip it! Nip it in the bud! Build a wall!

4 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

It probably does but, with all the motels from the ‘70’s around that are now obsolete, the counties should be able to figure out a way to come up with something besides leaving people at the whim of usurious landlords renting out slums in the making.

Those are OK if you want to live along W192 in Kissimmee. If one needs to live in Orlando to be near a job, that luxury is not as abundant. 

Of course, there are a coupla-few weekly/monthly former hotels over around the trail one could live in, if one can stand all the crime, drugs and prostitution that goes on in those places. And even they eat up a nice chunk of a minimum wage salary.

Some people have it rough no matter which option they take.

5 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

Those are OK if you want to live along W192 in Kissimmee. If one needs to live in Orlando to be near a job, that luxury is not as abundant. 

Of course, there are a coupla-few weekly/monthly former hotels over around the trail one could live in, if one can stand all the crime, drugs and prostitution that goes on in those places. And even they eat up a nice chunk of a minimum wage salary.

Some people have it rough no matter which option they take.

Actually, there are several along W.Colonial Dr and South OBT. 

Crime flourishes where property is uncared for. That’s the problem with slum lords - they don’t fix things, they just collect rents until the properties become uninhabitable and then write it all off on their taxes.

What an investment in affordable housing does is to fix up the properties including the required amount of security to push criminal elements away. As it becomes clear such activity is not acceptable (and actually doing something about it when residents complain), you can actually reduce that investment.

To end the cycle, either the city, the county or a cooperative venture with a non-profit is required.

As far as wage requirements, there can be subsidies (some cities use a dedicated sales tax, for example). The bully pulpit is also helpful. A politician, a journalist or an activist group thatcalls out bad actors both in terms of too low wages or in a refusal to invest in property maintenance can have more impact than you imagine.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this