Colonial & Magnolia Self Storage | 3-story Mixed-Use [Under Construction]

dcluley98

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2019 at 5:41 PM, dcluley98 said:

I'm not so sure that is final paint yet. Looked like a sealer or something over the EFIFS system.  

I was more referring to the detail on the top of the rendering provided to the ARB.   It almost looked like wood pergolas.  They're notably missing from this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, codypet said:

I was more referring to the detail on the top of the rendering provided to the ARB.   It almost looked like wood pergolas.  They're notably missing from this.

Yeah this is starting to be a trend now. First with Camden 520 ditching entire townhouses from the ARB report now this. Obviously no oversight at all.

On 10/28/2019 at 5:44 PM, elefants said:

Is it possible they just haven't installed them yet?

Driving by, it looks like they were installing them over the windows, now.  I'm unsure about the ones over the towers.

image.png.fae2f87754e0ab75382c976e416e9b66.png

Sidenote*  I don't remember this rendering but it appears to be much more in tune with what we're seeing.   I remember a brown building with a slightly different design.

Edited by codypet
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, codypet said:

Driving by, it looks like they were installing them over the windows, now.  I'm unsure about the ones over the towers.

image.png.fae2f87754e0ab75382c976e416e9b66.png

Sidenote*  I don't remember this rendering but it appears to be much more in tune with what we're seeing.   I remember a brown building with a slightly different design.

it got orlandoed...

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, elefants said:

It's boring, but it's a storage facility and it could have been worse.

So true.

Given some of the past crap we've been treated to around here, we should be thankful that it isn't another gas station/convenience store.

Still, the bland exterior finish leaves a lot to be desired.

• 11 months later...

So drove by today and saw the Sign and Storefront for Maki Hibachi in this building. Not sure if it is open yet. The interesting thing is, it is NOT in the Drive-through space on the corner of the building, it is in another storefront facing Colonial west of the main building entrance. (see photo). This leads me to believe there is more retail space with a drive-through still available.  https://www.thedailycity.com/post/maki-hibachi-restaurant-downtown-orlando 

I don't think it is open yet given that their website doesn't list this location and isn't live for orders yet, but I will be checking it out when available: https://www.makihibachi.net/

Maki Hibachi.png

• Thanks 1

Quite frankly, I would not put a restaurant in here on the GF if I was honest. 

There is not a good street-level activation, not a good visibility and not a good parking lot for a restaurant. 

If I DID want to put a restaurant in this building it would have been on the corner of Orange and Colonial or at least facing Orange. 

Bad design and it will likely fail. . . . 

But well, 

I would also point out that there is much GF space in "the 7s" if they are still calling it that I think it is Camden something or other right now that has a better location and is still vacant for about 3 years or so in NQ.  Shin is also here, which is the best Sushi in Orlando, IMO, so the competition may have been too strong. . .

• Like 3

Driving by it looks like it still has plenty of time before the buildout is complete.  I agree it's a bizarre location,  unless they got a hell of a deal on a lease and are banking on lightspeed development of the newspaper property. 

2 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

Shin is also here, which is the best Sushi in Orlando, IMO

I'm partial to Sushi Pop

My firm  develops storage nationally,  developing 4-5 of these types of projects per year.  Honestly most cities push some ground floor retail to activate the street and we underwrite it as vacant.  We put it out to market at low rates but instruct the broker to not turn away below rate offers.  I assume they got this space for next to nothing in terms of lease.

We had a Miami portfolio and a downtown NY set, but now primarily build storage on the west coast.

@dcluley98 I think the 7s was therefore out of price range, hell otherwise I would suggest the new plaza at Radius.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

I miss NQT. 

The self-storage place has pretty much zero foot traffic, but likely a sweet-heart deal on the rent just to get somebody in there.  The location is really god-awful for a restaurant right now, IMO.  I don't know that it would be worth it to locate in the building even with the rent deal.  

• Like 2