DeVos Family Headquarters (Old 5/3 building)

GVSUChris

So I know there is a thread that talks about the 5/3 building/campus, but I could not find it and as this project moves forward, it may need its own thread now that it will be it's own project. I will be really curious to see what the design looks like sans the facade, a new entrance on Monroe, etc. It doesn't say anything about ground floor retail use but it sure would be nice to see something on the ground floor. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/devos-family-buys-old-fifth-third-building-in-gr/1636548425

Edited by GVSUChris
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

So I know there is a thread that talks about the 5/3 building/campus, but I could not find it and as this project moves forward, it may need its own thread now that it will be it's own project. I will be really curious to see what the design looks like sans the facade, a new entrance on Monroe, etc. It doesn't say anything about ground floor retail use but it sure would be nice to see something on the ground floor. 

https://www.woodtv.com/news/grand-rapids/devos-family-buys-old-fifth-third-building-in-gr/1636548425

Plus it looks like they want to add additional floors by removing the mechanicals on the roof.  This is going to be a total redo of the building short of the bones.

Glad to see the building put back to use, but sad to see 126 Ottawa, the adjoining Pen Club Building, and the former Union Bank building at SE corner of Ottawa and Fountain vacated.  The DeVos' pored tons of money into those buildings over the last ten years or so, including adding a brand new facade @ 126.   It's amazing that RDV Corp is that big of a business.  Who, knew?  Not me.   

Sounds like it will be a few years before the new building will be ready.  It will be interesting to see what becomes of the old spaces, especially the Pen Club.

pen_005.jpg

familyoffice_006.jpg

pen_003.jpg

familyoffice_003.jpg

11276805-large.jpg

6 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

Glad to see the building put back to use, but sad to see 126 Ottawa, the adjoining Pen Club Building, and the former Union Bank building at SE corner of Ottawa and Fountain vacated.  The DeVos' pored tons of money into those buildings over the last ten years or so, including adding a brand new facade @ 126.   It's amazing that RDV Corp is that big of a business.  Who, knew?  Not me.   

Sounds like it will be a few years before the new building will be ready.  It will be interesting to see what becomes of the old spaces, especially the Pen Club.

pen_005.jpg

familyoffice_006.jpg

pen_003.jpg

familyoffice_003.jpg

11276805-large.jpg

Based on what they did at 126, I have no doubt they'll spare no expense on the new digs. That is a beautiful building - inside and out. I'm curious what type of wood/stain is used in the room with the fireplace. I'm looking to replace my old honey oak trim and mantle and I really like that look.

Also, what exactly does RDV Corp do?

16 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

Based on what they did at 126, I have no doubt they'll spare no expense on the new digs. That is a beautiful building - inside and out. I'm curious what type of wood/stain is used in the room with the fireplace. I'm looking to replace my old honey oak trim and mantle and I really like that look.

Also, what exactly does RDV Corp do?

RDV Corp is the DeVos family office. So they employ everyone from managing the family's investments, household staff, boat captains, etc. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Prankster said:

If there was ever a candidate for teardown, this would be mine. Prime location, barren street level presence, and is part of a failed urban renewal project that destroyed that part of downtown.   Hopefully they do not just add lipstick to a pig, and actually reactivate that corner. 

As GRLaker mentioned, I think the DeVos' are going to go "whole-hog" on this corner with this renovation.  Can't wait to see the rendering.   I think the Ellis Parking lot on the SE corner of Monore and Lyon is more of an eyesore at this intersection.  

Edited by mpchicago

1 minute ago, GRDadof3 said:

Exciting news! I too can't wait to see renderings. If they're adding floors to the top, I wonder if they'll add retail/restaurant space on the ground floor like the Windquest Bldg? 

That's a good possibility, as I think that was apart of the master plan when CWD released some preliminary schematics on what they hoped for the complex.

1 minute ago, mpchicago said:

That's a good possibility, as I think that was apart of the master plan when CWD released some preliminary schematics on what they hoped for the complex.

One thing's apparent: The Devos' are certainly big on the transparent glass trend (with Amway Grand and now this). Maybe we'll see it bumped to 12 stories!

mc-pictures-allentown-tower-6-renderings

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mpchicago said:

pen_005.jpg

familyoffice_006.jpg

pen_003.jpg

familyoffice_003.jpg

11276805-large.jpg

I would love to see this become some kind of cool boutique hotel brand with a couple of cool bars/venue spaces. They could even have their guests use the MVP. I can dream. 

49 minutes ago, GVSUChris said:

I would love to see this become some kind of cool boutique hotel brand with a couple of cool bars/venue spaces. They could even have their guests use the MVP. I can dream. 

I was thinking the same thing. Just stayed at the Chicago Athletic Association on Michigan Avenue and they turned that building into an amazing hotel with a lot of meetings spaces/banquet halls. Might be a good fit for the old Penn Club. 

Joe

• Like 3

14 hours ago, GR_Urbanist said:

I hope it happens quick before someone tries to declare the place as an architectural treasure from the 60s that must be preserved!

OMG Why did you have to say that.  If that does happen I'm going to start a movement to replace the HPC with a spreadsheet that contains a series of "IF/THEN" scenarios. 

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, MJLO said:

OMG Why did you have to say that.  If that does happen I'm going to start a movement to replace the HPC with a spreadsheet that contains a series of "IF/THEN" scenarios. 

"If the building is already a plain rectangular box, then you can't touch it."

"If you plan on building anything but a plain rectangular box, then you can't build it."

Edited by GRLaker
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, GRLaker said:

"If the building is already a plain rectangular box, then you can't touch it."

"If you plan on building anything but a plain rectangular box, then you can't build it."

"If you have gobs of money and political influence, then ignore previous statements and do whatever you want." 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MJLO said:

Since they've run out of good buildings to protect, I'm sure they will start trying to protect the trash that replaced the treasures.  In order, save, you know, for all of time the history of how beautiful buildings were replaced by garbage... :rolleyes:  But whatever happens to this Ffith Third building, it's hard to see how it could be worse.  I'm just going fingers crossed on this that it doesn't end up like another Warner "Tower" glass cube.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That whole block is just trash.  I guess I don't mind city hall.  It's not going anywhere with all the time and money they've put into their new HVAC system.  I wonder if the Federal building will ever be replaced like the county courthouse was.  Every time I drive by I just wonder, "why?"