DeVos Family Headquarters (Old 5/3 building)

GVSUChris

2 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

Wow I like it too, definitely an improvement.  I wish they would improve the other junky buildings on the block.  I think a CVS would do great there.

I think CVS will have to find another spot (which I agree, we’re ready for). I can’t imagine the DeVos building taking on a pedestrian tenant like a pharmacy. Maybe a high end restaurant? But I imagine the whole building will be devoted to the business. 

Joe

18 hours ago, GVSUChris said:

Ummm...wow...that's quite a change. I don't hate the upper floors, but the ground floor looks like a fortress, which, I suppose is apropos. 

c0ad3df8c8311f3e15874d06ede9f0c3_XL.jpg

That's a sharp looking design. When are we going to see that corner in the background filled in? 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, GRDadof3 said:

That's a sharp looking design. When are we going to see that corner in the background filled in? 

I'm always thinking the same thing, but the answer is never since Ellis parking owns the lot.  

I'd love to see the rendering perspective from the corner of Lyon and Monroe.

9 minutes ago, mpchicago said:

I'm always thinking the same thing, but the answer is never since Ellis parking owns the lot.  

I'd love to see the rendering perspective from the corner of Lyon and Monroe.

Me too. Although I'm guessing it looks a lot like the North side of the building, and why they're not highlighting it. 

Ha, sorry to be contrarian but my first impression of that rendering is that is one hot mess. Random dodads and unrelated parts stuck together in an attempt to be interesting, but none of it all that good. But then again, I think the renovations to the Calder Plaza building are all tacked on crap with little thought to the building that they are attached too. At least the Calder Plaza renovations improved the pedestrian experience though; I think the ground two floors may actually be worse than they are now. Sure there seems to be an entrance facing Monroe, but the rest of it is actually less transparent than what's there currently and there are still massive planters barricading the building from the street.

• Like 3

Is the whole section with the “bump out” the addition they were requesting to the south. If you look at the rendering, it does look a lot closer to the intersection than the current building. 

I was going to say the same thing(s) about the southeast corner. I’d love to see it developed, but Ellis owns it and they’ll probably keep it a parking lot for the foreseeable future. 

Joe

11 hours ago, mpchicago said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Ellis is probably just going to sit on his cash cow properties.   I can't remember, was the Warner building on an Ellis lot?

21 hours ago, andrew.w said:

Ha, sorry to be contrarian but my first impression of that rendering is that is one hot mess. Random dodads and unrelated parts stuck together in an attempt to be interesting, but none of it all that good. But then again, I think the renovations to the Calder Plaza building are all tacked on crap with little thought to the building that they are attached too. At least the Calder Plaza renovations improved the pedestrian experience though; I think the ground two floors may actually be worse than they are now. Sure there seems to be an entrance facing Monroe, but the rest of it is actually less transparent than what's there currently and there are still massive planters barricading the building from the street.

I do agree the ground floor leaves a lot to be desired.  Why the big black panels? 

778400735_RDVnow.thumb.JPG.da626368b7636ad1454045ecae4be028.JPG

1822726019_RDVrenovation.jpg.0d78912f02f92e83f94ae90e450c29a0.jpg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Floyd_Z said:

I was thinking the exact same thing.  Ellis is probably just going to sit on his cash cow properties.   I can't remember, was the Warner building on an Ellis lot?

As Prankster pointed out the Warner building is on Ellis lot, and they are a partner in the project and may still own the land if I'm not mistaken.

23 hours ago, mpchicago said:

As Prankster pointed out the Warner building is on Ellis lot, and they are a partner in the project and may still own the land if I'm not mistaken.

Yep. 

"The Ellis family will continue to own the ground on which the new project is being built."

https://www.mlive.com/business/west-michigan/2017/06/50_years_later_downtown_parkin.html

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, joeDowntown said:

There’s a base of a crane on the southern end of this property. Wonder if it’ll be used mainly to pull of the concrete facade?

Joe

I did learn that at least one of the local contractors now owns a couple of tower cranes, which negates part of the expensive lease rates for tower cranes.  You go to Europe and it's pretty much what every construction company uses, even to build homes! #truestory

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...