A "Bad" Comment

ModSquad

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, GR's officers aren't the only ones with those types of responses. This is from an article in today's paper of a couple who recently moved into a neighborhood in Flint. First they found a noose hanging on a tree in their front yard, then later one of their cars had "KKK" and "n*****" spray-painted on it. The man of the house contacted police:

"They told us that there were a bunch of rednecks in the neighborhood, and that it would be better if we moved," he said, shaking his head.

I wonder if these types of situations are another big reason why so many people have/had given up on most of Michigan's inner-cities. If I was basically told, "If you don't like it - move", I'm sure it wouldn't just be to another neighborhood in the same city. There's no reason to believe you wouldn't be told the same thing if something comes up in the next neighborhood.

Can't something be done about this? Complain to the mayor, police chief, neighborhood association, etc.? Write a letter to the Press?

I witnessed the changing of the guard again this morning. I tried saying hi to some of the guys. They all walked with downturned faces (i.e., did not make eye contact).

Do they teach them to be anti-social?

Budgie

For anyone in the Grand Rapids area to portray any part of the city as a "bad neighborhood" is on crack. I guess that just goes to show how "suburbanized" we have become. Maybe you should have asked the officer if he lives in a gated suburb in a gated community, in a gated house, in a gated room...walled off from all issues that face society, good or bad. It really makes me angry that the diversity of a population has to be seen as a threatful thing by people who really have no idea what its like to experience life among people who are different than themselves. It's the greatest thing in the world, and so is that Grand Rapids' neighborhood!

(dammit!)

Archived