Riverdale area

I am relocating to Little Rock by the end of the month and was looking for apartments in the Riverdale area. Riverwalk Apartments caught my interest in particular. However, many people I know tend to think that area is unsafe. I didn't feel that vibe at all when I was down there. What do people here think about that area?

I am relocating to Little Rock by the end of the month and was looking for apartments in the Riverdale area. Riverwalk Apartments caught my interest in particular. However, many people I know tend to think that area is unsafe. I didn't feel that vibe at all when I was down there. What do people here think about that area?

It's as safe as anywhere. Tons of college students, med and law students, etc I knew lived there. Up until the late evening there are dozenns of walkers, skaters and joggers everywhere along Riverfront Dr.

Riverwalk is fine. I think it's gated as well which might add a little sense of security but I really don't see it as an issue. I know someone else that lived in the Park at Riverdale and it's very nice but high. Holcombe Heights at the top of the hill has great views and is pretty affordable, I also had friends that lived up there.

Okay, you asked for our input, so here's mine...

WHAT!?! "Many" people think this area is unsafe? That's nothing short of crazy. This is the kind of uninformed sensationalism that really irks me! Its a fantastic part of town! I'd bet $100 bucks they said that just b/c they only spend time in WLR and they state it out of ignorance. Correct me if I'm wrong....

This is the corporate HQ of Alltel, Acxiom and Dillard's...the best "active" area of town along the river with trails, biking....some of the best restaurant's in town (Brave New, Loca Luna, etc...), a brand new high rise condo tower going in, and already home to other high-end, high-rise condos - high-priced real estate in Canal Point, Rebsamen Golf Course, Alsopp & Murray Park, the new "Design" district in Little Rock, etc, etc..... And geographically, it isn't anywhere NEAR any bad part of town...its isolated between the river and the most expensive neighborhoods in Little Rock (Heights & Hillcrest).

Goodness...I don't know how I could state this any more emphatically. The people you know are ill-informed.

• Like 1

That's a very nice part of town! The people telling you that it is unsafe out there are just ill-informed. If I didn't have school aged children, I would likely be living in that area.

I agree. I don't know where some people get their information. I have known multiple people that lived in that area and I worked down there for years. It always seemed very nice to me.

I agree. I don't know where some people get their information. I have known multiple people that lived in that area and I worked down there for years. It always seemed very nice to me.

Riverdale is a neat area because of some of the parks close by. I don't live anywhere near that, but I wouldn't hesitate to, especially based upon security concerns.

All: now that I've calmed down (from my first post), let me clarify my point: I shouldn't make assumptions about the person who told you that, nor gross generalizations about people. My point is that in my experience, many of my friends and acquaintances who live and work in suburban environments often make assumptions about urban environments in general, or midtown/downtown that simply aren't true...its unfamiliar to them so many tend to assume the worst.

I just hear it all the time and it just floors me....

• 5 months later...

While it remains to be seen how the rumblings at Alltel affect Riverdale, there is some good news to report for the neighborhood. The Bank of England filed an application on Monday (June 2) with the state bank department for its first Little Rock branch at 1320 Rebsamen Park Road. That address places it behind the building which once housed a Central Bank & Trust (and later Arvest) branch at the intersection of Rebsamen Park and Cedar Hill (across Cedar Hill from E-Z Mart). Some people might recall long-standing rumors which had noted possible interest from Bank of England in that former bank site.

• 2 weeks later...

Arkansas Business reports an estimated $7 million sale expected for the former Acxiom Riverdale campus, which includes a total of 4.1 acres of property. Rock Financial Group is the buyer; not many details of eventual plans for the site were given.

http://www.arkansasbusiness.com/article.as...24.31619.118169

• 1 month later...

There is a major renovation of Riverdale Apartments, which was purchased for $1.5 million with plans for a $10 million dollar conversion to "Residences at Riverdale". Definitely a positive for preserving the young professional/student demographic of the area.

Also, a restaurant called "The Big Orange" will be going into the renovated Riviera Building and will serve upscale diner-style food. That is being brought to us by Scott McGhee, who is behind Boulevard Bread and Zia-Zia's in the Heights.

I just shake my head at the "travesty" that has infected the once aged but respectable Riviera tower.

"Tuscan" - Right. Somehow Tunica seems to come to mind over Italy.

Same with that new tower they are wanting to build on Riverfront. That thing would make a good hotel.

I agree that the "Tuscan" design of the Riviera (and no, I will never stop using quotes in that particular context) looks like a great big hunk of mozzarella to me. The original design, to me, was authentically cool, a real product of its time. Unfortunately, like many things over the years in Little Rock, a piece of history has been traded for something generic or supposedly currently trendy. Make no mistake that I wish the developer as well as can be expected from redevelopment of the Riviera, for its potential success is a bellwether for the neighborhood. I just wish it had been handled a bit differently.

On a related note, the restaurant concept sounds like a good fit for the area, and some place I'd like to try. I'm already thinking of Black Angus Salisbury steak with sides of French-cut green beans, and macaroni with three-cheese sauce. Maybe a vanilla bean ice cream soda to finish.

I have heard that "The Ashford" is dead.

Wouldn't surprise me. They did recently just put up a new rendering of it at the site. I think Little Rock has enough upscale condo developments for now counting the Rivera and all the new ones downtown. I think we need to push for density, but apartments, townhomes, and maybe mid-income condos would be better investments at this point.

I just shake my head at the "travesty" that has infected the once aged but respectable Riviera tower.

"Tuscan" - Right. Somehow Tunica seems to come to mind over Italy.

I agree, we both put our two cents in on the Riviera before.

I do, however, welcome another Riverdale restaurant. Particularly one from Scott McGhee.

• 2 months later...

It appears Harvest Foods in Riverdale will close at the end of the month. Rumor is that Office Depot will soon follow. The movie theater is in pitiful shape and reminds me of an inner-city smut theater. Riverside Motors is moving to Col. Glenn. When Alltel shutters up it will have quite an impact for the negative on the apartments in Riverdale. For some reason I am less than optimistic about the future of this neighborhood.

It appears Harvest Foods in Riverdale will close at the end of the month. Rumor is that Office Depot will soon follow. The movie theater is in pitiful shape and reminds me of an inner-city smut theater. Riverside Motors is moving to Col. Glenn. When Alltel shutters up it will have quite an impact for the negative on the apartments in Riverdale. For some reason I am less than optimistic about the future of this neighborhood.

That'll be the second time that Harvest Foods has closed. I'm not surprised. Actually what surprises me is that any Harvest Foods stays open.

I had heard that Office Depot's main reason for opening that store was to serve as a warehouse for deliveries made to downtown. With NLR's location not that far from downtown, is it really that much of an advantage?

The movie theater has lasted much longer than I thought it would.

Overall, that shopping center has always had disadvantages. The number of people living in Riverdale (which is sizable, with all of the apartments) just don't create a strong enough base for those shops. And you're right, Alltel losing numerous jobs is just going to make it worse.

If that's the case, I would think the whole center has a shot at redevelopment. The theater couldn't be revamped. It's just an awkward strip mall theatre leftover in a world of stadium seating megaplexes. Wynnsong on Chenal came and went years ago and was far nicer than Riverdale 10 was.

When Riverdale developed, living near downtown wasn't that cool. It was more about being near Kavanaugh, having access to great city parks and it being a young community.

The apartments are still in great shape and pretty popular with the UAMS and UALR law crowd as well as young professionals. There's no decay there. Most of this is probably the convenience of being near downtown bars and restaurants.

Truthfully, this may be a blessing in disguise. Tearing down that whole shopping center and starting fresh would be a great idea. Tha would be a reasonable alternative for a midtown Target.

If that's the case, I would think the whole center has a shot at redevelopment. The theater couldn't be revamped. It's just an awkward strip mall theatre leftover in a world of stadium seating megaplexes. Wynnsong on Chenal came and went years ago and was far nicer than Riverdale 10 was.

When Riverdale developed, living near downtown wasn't that cool. It was more about being near Kavanaugh, having access to great city parks and it being a young community.

The apartments are still in great shape and pretty popular with the UAMS and UALR law crowd as well as young professionals. There's no decay there. Most of this is probably the convenience of being near downtown bars and restaurants.

Truthfully, this may be a blessing in disguise. Tearing down that whole shopping center and starting fresh would be a great idea. Tha would be a reasonable alternative for a midtown Target.

It would be a GREAT location for a mid-town Target. I'd rather see something else at Park Avenue anyway!

It would be a GREAT location for a mid-town Target. I'd rather see something else at Park Avenue anyway!

I agree. Park Avenue is shaping up more and more to be a typical suburban Target shopping center, and if that is to be the case I would rather them evaluate other locations, Riverdale being an excellent one because although it is close to downtown, it is very suburban in nature. Plus, I would love having a Target 5 minutes away, its annoying to have to drive all the way to McCain. However, I honestly doubt something like that could be pulled off this late in the game. I think the best we could hope for in Riverdale is Wal-Mart to put in a Neighborhood Market like they did in Maumelle. That could easily revive the shopping center. There is enough people in Riverdale to support a grocery store if there was a decent one. That Harvest Foods location was absolutely abhorrent (spoiled milk, bugs in dry goods, etc).

Edited by bchris02

If Target would build a two-story target, I would still prefer Park Avenue. But, since that is not going to happen. I agree with the Riverdale location. It would also be great to see a Lowes or Home Depot along side the Target.

I don't ever see a major chain like Target picking that location. The biggest problem with the center is its difficult accessibility. Most locations draw from all directions - a set radius around the store. Well that store has a river that dead-ends to the north, a downtown with a relatively small number of people in it. Only to the south and west are there substantial amounts of people. Also, interstate access is terrible. To be truthful, I don't know what the best thing for that shopping center is. A Neighborhood Market MIGHT work. Restaurants do well in that part of town (if that continues with Alltel's workforce shrinking). Other than that, I'm not very hopeful.