Riverdale area

I don't ever see a major chain like Target picking that location. The biggest problem with the center is its difficult accessibility. Most locations draw from all directions - a set radius around the store. Well that store has a river that dead-ends to the north, a downtown with a relatively small number of people in it. Only to the south and west are there substantial amounts of people. Also, interstate access is terrible. To be truthful, I don't know what the best thing for that shopping center is. A Neighborhood Market MIGHT work. Restaurants do well in that part of town (if that continues with Alltel's workforce shrinking). Other than that, I'm not very hopeful.

Anybody remember K-Mart in this center (where Office Depot is)?

Anybody remember K-Mart in this center (where Office Depot is)?

I do.

With the theatre gone and Harvest Foods closed, I think tearing down the whole thing and starting over becomes an option.

A lot of downtown residents use this Harvest Foods instead of the one on South Main because it was cleaner and safer. I would if I lived down there. I think that will have an impact.

I do.

With the theatre gone and Harvest Foods closed, I think tearing down the whole thing and starting over becomes an option.

A lot of downtown residents use this Harvest Foods instead of the one on South Main because it was cleaner and safer. I would if I lived down there. I think that will have an impact.

I think we do need a grocer of some kind. Not many people used this Harvest Foods...as it was dirty, run down, and expensive. People I knew who worked there told me not to shop there, because there were bugs in the dry goods and very unsanitary meat conditions. Most of the time the milk would also be a day or two older than the expiration date. Its no wonder they went out of business, in fact I was surprised they held out this long. Most people I know either go to Kroger on Kavennaugh, Kroger in the Heights, or the Supercenter on McCain. Its still a pain with gas at $4/gal to have to drive when there could be a grocery store on the corner.

I've slowly watched this center decline this year. First Savers, then Harvest Foods, and soon Office Depot. I think Hobbytown USA has closed also. Not sure if the theater is closing or not, but it should. I went to see one movie there, and the place creeped me out. I can't believe they charge first-run rates there. About all that is left is Whole Hog, Subway, Pizza Hut, and the gym. Demolish the center and start over would be the best thing to do, but is there anybody who would be willing to take on such a feat in such poor economic conditions?

Edited by bchris02

I think we do need a grocer of some kind. Not many people used this Harvest Foods...as it was dirty, run down, and expensive. People I knew who worked there told me not to shop there, because there were bugs in the dry goods and very unsanitary meat conditions. Most of the time the milk would also be a day or two older than the expiration date. Its no wonder they went out of business, in fact I was surprised they held out this long. Most people I know either go to Kroger on Kavennaugh, Kroger in the Heights, or the Supercenter on McCain. Its still a pain with gas at $4/gal to have to drive when there could be a grocery store on the corner.

I've slowly watched this center decline this year. First Savers, then Harvest Foods, and soon Office Depot. I think Hobbytown USA has closed also. Not sure if the theater is closing or not, but it should. I went to see one movie there, and the place creeped me out. I can't believe they charge first-run rates there. About all that is left is Whole Hog, Subway, Pizza Hut, and the gym. Demolish the center and start over would be the best thing to do, but is there anybody who would be willing to take on such a feat in such poor economic conditions?

My comment is - aside from management/service/cleanliness issues with Harvest Foods - the center itself is pretty nice. I've been to the movies dozens of times and thought it was fine. Office Depot doesn't seem any more or less trafficked than any other and it is convenient to mid-town/downtown, etc. A retail downturn must be putting pressure on the whole center, because otherwise its clean, viable and convenient.

I'm not opposed to a complete tear-down, re-construct...assuming it would be something nice. Again, Target would be a good choice. But if you think about it, what else would it be if it were not a grocery store, office supply store, and misc. retailers? How could a NEW facility possibly cash flow if this cannot?

My comment is - aside from management/service/cleanliness issues with Harvest Foods - the center itself is pretty nice. I've been to the movies dozens of times and thought it was fine. Office Depot doesn't seem any more or less trafficked than any other and it is convenient to mid-town/downtown, etc. A retail downturn must be putting pressure on the whole center, because otherwise its clean, viable and convenient.

I'm not opposed to a complete tear-down, re-construct...assuming it would be something nice. Again, Target would be a good choice. But if you think about it, what else would it be if it were not a grocery store, office supply store, and misc. retailers? How could a NEW facility possibly cash flow if this cannot?

A high traffic anchor like Target would pull up the other stores. Obviously you wouldn't tear the whole thing down, just the part necessary to build the Target. Renovate the rest.

I remember when the old shopping center with MegaMarket and Service Merchandise was abandoned. It sat for a while before new tenants came along but now it has Academy, Office Depot, and Bassett and it looks like new construction.

My opinion is that would be a good location for a true mix-used development. Think of what Park Avenue could be, with vertical residential/apartments and boutique shops and restaurants on the ground floor. I think that kind of thing would do well there, and it would fit with the other shops and restaurants in the area. The strip center as is is an eyesore as far as I am concerned.

A high traffic anchor like Target would pull up the other stores. Obviously you wouldn't tear the whole thing down, just the part necessary to build the Target. Renovate the rest.

I remember when the old shopping center with MegaMarket and Service Merchandise was abandoned. It sat for a while before new tenants came along but now it has Academy, Office Depot, and Bassett and it looks like new construction.

You mention Service Merchandise... somehow I am recalling a Service Merchandise in the Riverdale strip mall area... maybe back when the grocery was Skaggs? Anyone else remember this?

That confused me for a moment to...he's referring (or comparing) to the center on West Markham.

Yeah. I figured out the W. Markham comparison when he mentioned Megamarket. But, I started thinking about Service Merchandise. There were a few Service Merchandise stores in LR prior to the one in WLR. Seems like there was one down in Riverdale. This is VERY hazy to me, so I could be revising history. Wasn't there a SM at Asher and University? Anyone know where they were located?

Also, anyone recall Rex Appliances and Electronics at Asher and University. I got my first VCR from Rex. I think we paid almost $400 for it.

Wasn't there a SM at Asher and University? Anyone know where they were located?

When I think of Service Merchandise in Little Rock, that's the one I think about.

In that era, there was also a movie theater and a B Daltons in that Asher & University center.

I can't say I distinctly remember any Service Merchandise stores in the area beyond North Little Rock (now Linens 'n Things) and west Little Rock (now Michaels and Bassett Furniture Direct). But, I do recall signage for the closed stores at Riverdale Center and University Plaza. The only B. Dalton I can ever remember

I can't say I distinctly remember any Service Merchandise stores in the area beyond North Little Rock (now Linens 'n Things) and west Little Rock (now Michaels and Bassett Furniture Direct). But, I do recall signage for the closed stores at Riverdale Center and University Plaza. The only B. Dalton I can ever remember

I don't guess you remember the Service Merchandise store at 9th and Main Street. Probably the most unattractive building(except for the parking decks) between the Convention Center and and I-630.

Nope. Since I grew up in Romance, which is about an hour outside the city to the northeast, my family rarely went to Little Rock (downtown especially) and instead opted more toward North Little Rock (McCain Mall and Target, mostly) and Searcy for shopping trips. Sometimes to Conway, too, but far less frequently. By the time I started coming into downtown with some regularity, MM Cohn had already closed up shop on Main Street.

Received my bundle of circulars in the mail today and Harvest Foods had a separate flyer that said they've "lost their lease" on the Riverdale location. Everything is 30% off or more. If you can find merchandise that's not out of date, this could be a good deal.

• 1 month later...

Office Depot's Riverdale store — wonder of wonders — appears far from closing up shop. For those who haven't passed by lately, it now sports a banner touting a recent remodeling.

Of course, I'd say that Office Depot may be aware of something on the horizon, if not for the fact that their stores in Conway and Benton are in or near rather forlorn looking developments. Somehow, it doesn't seem to faze them.

---

More positive news...

Riverdale area merchants will participate this coming Sunday, November 16, in a Holiday Open House event, on the heels of the annual second Sunday in November event uphill in the Heights. No word yet on the full list of participating businesses.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It appears Lenny's sub shop in Riverdale has closed. Its really not surprising, with the Alltel executives gone who wants to pay $8 for a sub when you can hit up Subway for $4? Still, I think the quality of Lenny's was better and it will be missed. I have a feeling this is just a shadow of things to come for the Riverdale area as Alltel continues to shed jobs.

It appears Lenny's sub shop in Riverdale has closed. Its really not surprising, with the Alltel executives gone who wants to pay $8 for a sub when you can hit up Subway for $4? Still, I think the quality of Lenny's was better and it will be missed. I have a feeling this is just a shadow of things to come for the Riverdale area as Alltel continues to shed jobs.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Lenny's and frequented that location fairly often as I work in that area. Wow....but, I don't think it closed because of any changes at Alltel. After all, no one's been let go yet (of any substance). Truthfully, it wasn't ever very crowded, and when it was, the service was SLOW!!!! Not conducive to repeat traffic.

I really hate that...it was a great sandwich place. Pricey, but much better than Subway.

NNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love Lenny's and frequented that location fairly often as I work in that area. Wow....but, I don't think it closed because of any changes at Alltel. After all, no one's been let go yet (of any substance). Truthfully, it wasn't ever very crowded, and when it was, the service was SLOW!!!! Not conducive to repeat traffic.

I really hate that...it was a great sandwich place. Pricey, but much better than Subway.

I agree. I would have went much more if it wasn't such slow service for such a high cost. Their food was good but their business model was not. Its in a good location so maybe something else will take its place. Lenny's has 2 other locations in the Little Rock area, not sure if they are still open or not.

I agree. I would have went much more if it wasn't such slow service for such a high cost. Their food was good but their business model was not. Its in a good location so maybe something else will take its place. Lenny's has 2 other locations in the Little Rock area, not sure if they are still open or not.

The WLR location gets quite a bit of business, so you'll be happy to know it's still open. Probably gets a lot of business from those horrible McMansion people ;)

I eat at the one on Financial Centre all the time and the service is good there. I love the hot pepper relish. That's not a great location for fast food, people from the Heights or Hillcrest are going to go someplace closer (and frankly Burge's, Boulevard Bread, Cheers, and Satellite Cafe all make better sammiches.)

Alltel losses won't affect Riverdale much. That area wasn't much different way before Alltel got so big. Plus, that's some of the best office space in the city and when/if they give up a building or two in that complex it will get jumped on really fast. Close to downtown but with convenient parking is a tough thing to find.

The big losses will come out in Chenal and to a lesser degree Maumelle, where the impact is probably already occurring. A lot of people are staying and redirecting careers but a lot of people are going to leave and it's not hard for something like this to increase inventory enough to drop prices. I sure wouldn't be building a $400,000+ home out west right now.

• 5 months later...

I was at Riverside Motors today and asked one of the managers what was going to happen to the space after they moved to Col. Glenn. He said that they are going to move their Subaru dealer there (after a remodel) and expand the Acura dealer on Chenal Parkway. Glad to see that the building won't be sitting empty.

I was at Riverside Motors today and asked one of the managers what was going to happen to the space after they moved to Col. Glenn. He said that they are going to move their Subaru dealer there (after a remodel) and expand the Acura dealer on Chenal Parkway. Glad to see that the building won't be sitting empty.

Interesting...glad to see that it will be used, but I can't imagine this being an ideal location for Subaru.

• 11 months later...

This week's Arkansas Business states that word is beginning to circulate about various retailers wanting to find locations in Little Rock for their stores. The only example given was Wal Mart scouting locations for its Neighborhood Markets. The article specifically mentioned the possibility of opening a Neighborhood Market in the old Harvest Foods location in Riverdale.