Riverdale area

This week's Arkansas Business states that word is beginning to circulate about various retailers wanting to find locations in Little Rock for their stores. The only example given was Wal Mart scouting locations for its Neighborhood Markets. The article specifically mentioned the possibility of opening a Neighborhood Market in the old Harvest Foods location in Riverdale.

That location would be perfect for it. I said that the day Harvest Foods closed that Wal-Mart should put in a neighborhood market at that location. When I lived there it was a pain to have to drive to Kroger in the Heights for groceries when I needed something real quick. I remember the Harvest Foods was very run down and nasty...they sold a lot of expired goods. I can see why it closed but am surprised it took so long for somebody else to come in and take the spot.

• 3 weeks later...

That location would be perfect for it. I said that the day Harvest Foods closed that Wal-Mart should put in a neighborhood market at that location. When I lived there it was a pain to have to drive to Kroger in the Heights for groceries when I needed something real quick. I remember the Harvest Foods was very run down and nasty...they sold a lot of expired goods. I can see why it closed but am surprised it took so long for somebody else to come in and take the spot.

According to WalMart's website, a Neighborhood Market is typically 42,000 square foot. Isn't the old Harvest Foods way bigger than that? I also wonder about the Bowman Walmart which is purported to become a Neighborhood Market when the Shackleford Crossings Walmart is complete. Isn't that building way too big for a Neighborhood Market?

• 3 months later...

As I understand it, the eventual plan is to trim the size of the existing Walmart building on Bowman, before any repurposing. Then again, there's not a lot moving forward on that Supercenter on Shackleford, so it may be a moot point.

As for a Neighborhood Market possibly coming to Riverdale, I can't imagine that Walmart wouldn't give it serious consideration, unless it stems from concern for effect on the East McCain Supercenter's market share. To say nothing of two relatively close Krogers (Heights and Hillcrest), Edwards' Food Giant, and Save A Lot. Each of those stores probably has a customer or two who would shop a Riverdale store, given the opportunity.

This evening, Channel 4 reported that Walmart was indeed planning to open a "Super Center" (their words) in the old Harvest Foods building, keeping the same footprint. No word on timing.

Then again, there's not a lot moving forward on that Supercenter on Shackleford

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I was at Shackleford Crossing a few days ago, and the Super Center is very much progressing. It's the biggest Walmart structure I've ever seen. While it isn't on the verge of opening, it appears to be far enough along to open in the late winter/early spring of 2011, as has been previously announced.

This evening, Channel 4 reported that Walmart was indeed planning to open a "Super Center" (their words) in the old Harvest Foods building, keeping the same footprint. No word on timing.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. I was at Shackleford Crossing a few days ago, and the Super Center is very much progressing. It's the biggest Walmart structure I've ever seen. While it isn't on the verge of opening, it appears to be far enough along to open in the late winter/early spring of 2011, as has been previously announced.

Walmart will convert the Bowman store to a smaller Supercenter, which is a new format they are developing. It will not be a Neighborhood Market, but will have groceries and produce.

Walmart will convert the Bowman store to a smaller Supercenter, which is a new format they are developing. It will not be a Neighborhood Market, but will have groceries and produce.

Interesting. I didn't see the point in having a Neighborhood Market in a space that big next to a Sam's, so this makes more sense. That's really a pretty large Wal-Mart for a non-supercenter store though, so they shouldn't really have space issues for the Supercenter conversion. I believe it's very similar in size to the old Wal-Mart we had in Mountain Home before they built the new super-center there in 2000 or whenever that was, and it was one of the larger regular Wal-Marts at that time. It doesn't even need a new format- small Supercenters in places like Flippin, AR or Mtn. View, AR are only about that size and they seem to work well. I don't know why they wouldn't just use that layout in the re-purposed store, but I assume they have a solid plan.

Interesting. I didn't see the point in having a Neighborhood Market in a space that big next to a Sam's, so this makes more sense. That's really a pretty large Wal-Mart for a non-supercenter store though, so they shouldn't really have space issues for the Supercenter conversion. I believe it's very similar in size to the old Wal-Mart we had in Mountain Home before they built the new super-center there in 2000 or whenever that was, and it was one of the larger regular Wal-Marts at that time. It doesn't even need a new format- small Supercenters in places like Flippin, AR or Mtn. View, AR are only about that size and they seem to work well. I don't know why they wouldn't just use that layout in the re-purposed store, but I assume they have a solid plan.

At one time, the Bowman Wal-Mart was the largest non-super center store in their whole system.

At one time, the Bowman Wal-Mart was the largest non-super center store in their whole system.

I believe it. Although I hate that store (and it happens to be the closest wal-mart to my house), it is a very large Wal-Mart for a non-supercenter. I didn't understand why they put that little "food center" in the middle instead of just making it a super-center convert (they were able to do that with a St. Louis Wal-Mart and keep it open during the renovation, amazingly), but I guess they're finally getting around to it.

• 7 months later...

Arkansas Business is reporting that Wal-Mart will sign a lease to occupy the former Harvest Foods at Cantrell and Riverfront drive by the end of July. Contrary to earlier reports of it being a standard Wal-Mart, it will likely be a Neighborhood Market.

Any possibilities of it being one of the new Walmart Express formats? The few they have tried out in NWA seem to be doing well. I imagine it won't be long before they start popping up in central Arkansas. From what I can tell it's somewhat of Walmarts take on Walgreens I believe. Or at least I think they're trying to move in on some of Walgreens success.

Any possibilities of it being one of the new Walmart Express formats? The few they have tried out in NWA seem to be doing well. I imagine it won't be long before they start popping up in central Arkansas. From what I can tell it's somewhat of Walmarts take on Walgreens I believe. Or at least I think they're trying to move in on some of Walgreens success.

The Express is actually to combat the dollar stores more than to combat Walgreens. They are a small town store that will expand into areas in which a neighborhood market would be too large.

According to an article I read, the concept for the Riverdale Walmart is a "mini" Super Center concept.

See: Shackleford Crossings Walmart for "mini" Super Center.

The Shackleford Crossings store isn't really a mini supercenter. It is smaller than the NLR or Cantrell stores, which are towards the higher end for supercenter size, but it is not significantly smaller than many other supercenters around the state or country. A better look at a small supercenter layout would be like the newer stores built in towns like Mountain View, Lonoke, or Flippin- all of which tend to be around or under 100,000 sq. ft. They are much smaller than a regular supercenter (or the Shackleford store) while attempting to retain the core of each department in the store. Shackleford is an example of them fitting a supercenter in where there really wasn't space for a huge one, so they cut down on the footprint a little, cut the tire and lube express, and did things a little differently with their layout. The Shackleford Crossings store is actually a little larger than the new Maumelle/NLR supercenter, which is the most similar store to it in the area.

The Shackleford Crossings store isn't really a mini supercenter. It is smaller than the NLR or Cantrell stores, which are towards the higher end for supercenter size, but it is not significantly smaller than many other supercenters around the state or country. A better look at a small supercenter layout would be like the newer stores built in towns like Mountain View, Lonoke, or Flippin- all of which tend to be around or under 100,000 sq. ft.

On the topic of Wal-Mart Supercenters, Monticello has one of the first Supercenters built in Arkansas (constructed circa 1989). I believe it was in the neighborhood of 115-120k square feet when constructed and it has been expanded at least once. Even more surprising than a small town in southeast Arkansas would be chosen early in the Supercenter roll-out is that the store is still in operation. The town's first Wal-Mart was open approximately nine years. The Supercenter has been open 22. However, it seems that Wal-Mart has started to renovate more stores as opposed to abandoning old properties and building new ones. (Malvern has two "old" Wal-Marts.)

The Shackleford Crossings store isn't really a mini supercenter. It is smaller than the NLR or Cantrell stores, which are towards the higher end for supercenter size, but it is not significantly smaller than many other supercenters around the state or country. A better look at a small supercenter layout would be like the newer stores built in towns like Mountain View, Lonoke, or Flippin- all of which tend to be around or under 100,000 sq. ft. They are much smaller than a regular supercenter (or the Shackleford store) while attempting to retain the core of each department in the store. Shackleford is an example of them fitting a supercenter in where there really wasn't space for a huge one, so they cut down on the footprint a little, cut the tire and lube express, and did things a little differently with their layout. The Shackleford Crossings store is actually a little larger than the new Maumelle/NLR supercenter, which is the most similar store to it in the area.

The "mini" supercenter comment was made with tongue in cheek. I haven't liked that store since it opened. It's just horrible. I can't wait until the old Walmart re-opens. I hope they don't do a "Hillcrest Kroger" type renovation.

The "mini" supercenter comment was made with tongue in cheek. I haven't liked that store since it opened. It's just horrible. I can't wait until the old Walmart re-opens. I hope they don't do a "Hillcrest Kroger" type renovation.

Gotcha. I actually liked that store when it opened because I thought the grocery department looked a lot nicer and the exterior design of the store was interesting, but I've grown tired of it already. The parking lot was not only poorly planned, it is already falling apart. The store itself never seems to have sufficient registers open and the checkout lanes aren't for the claustrophobic. And there are issues with stocking and variety, but I assume part of that is because it is a bit smaller. I agree that I am looking forward to the Bowman location reopening- it's not any closer to my house but that location is better for the type of stores I shop at.

As for the Riverdale location, I don't know how well a Neighborhood Market will suit that spot, I was hoping the earlier rumors of it being a supercenter were accurate. That location would have been an interesting spot for a small supercenter, and I think it would have done well (and been better for that shopping center), but the Neighborhood Market is better than an empty storefront.

My understanding is that the building is too big for the Express format, and is in fact a bit big for the Neighborhood Market concept that will be used for the space. I would like to see the smaller format set up shop elsewhere around the area, though I'd be hard-pressed to come up with an ideal location to start. Seems right for an area with an especially dense population.

Edited by ArkansasTraveler

If anything fits the mold of a mini-Supercenter, it's the Lonoke store. But interestingly, I think that location and others of its scale represent Walmart's overall shift away from the old "Discount City" model that hardly included any groceries at all, while building in large and small communities. More of Walmart's newer locations, as I see them, aim for a better-rounded shopping experience — if still incomplete, in several instances. I do wish Lonoke's store was bigger for the community's sake, since it doubles as the only grocer in town after the Affiliated Foods meltdown.

The Express is actually to combat the dollar stores more than to combat Walgreens. They are a small town store that will expand into areas in which a neighborhood market would be too large.

You may be right, they remind me of something that would compete with Walgreens. But so far they have focused on putting them into small towns. But I wouldn't be surprised to see them maybe do something very similar and start plugging them into urban markets as well. Despite the success of Walmart in NWA. It certainly hasn't kept Walgreens from coming in and having a lot of success themselves and putting in a lot of stores right in Walmart's backyard.

On the topic of Wal-Mart Supercenters, Monticello has one of the first Supercenters built in Arkansas (constructed circa 1989). I believe it was in the neighborhood of 115-120k square feet when constructed and it has been expanded at least once. Even more surprising than a small town in southeast Arkansas would be chosen early in the Supercenter roll-out is that the store is still in operation. The town's first Wal-Mart was open approximately nine years. The Supercenter has been open 22. However, it seems that Wal-Mart has started to renovate more stores as opposed to abandoning old properties and building new ones. (Malvern has two "old" Wal-Marts.)

Actually I remember that supercenter down there. I was still living around that part of the state at the time. Walmart hasn't always used the local area to test out their new ideas. For a while they were testing out some of their new concepts out of state. But recently seem to have shifted back to using Arkansas and in particular NWA as a location to test their new formats.

My understanding is that the building is too big for the Express format, and is in fact a bit big for the Neighborhood Market concept that will be used for the space. I would like to see the smaller format set up shop elsewhere around the area, though I'd be hard-pressed to come up with an ideal location to start. Seems right for an area with an especially dense population.

From what I'm hearing from everyone, yeah it sounds like that location is too large. But I still think they'll eventually start pushing some of these new formats down in central Arkansas.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Based on the number of cars in the parking lot, I would assume employee training is going on and the store should be open soon. I haven't noticed a sign announcing the date, though.

Also, there are signs that Ace Hardware will be taking over the old Saver's location. The center is looking pretty good occupancy-wise.

Based on the number of cars in the parking lot, I would assume employee training is going on and the store should be open soon. I haven't noticed a sign announcing the date, though.

Also, there are signs that Ace Hardware will be taking over the old Saver's location. The center is looking pretty good occupancy-wise.

No doubt, some pretty serious tenant activity for a center this age. Office Depot, Wal-Mart, Ace, a movie theater, etc...