Riverdale area

10 parking spots, including 2 for handicapped drivers, and a tiny lot.  The building is weirdly shaped with the dining area at the backside of the lot and the back of the building facing the street.  I'm not sure how the drive-thru will work.  There are two lanes which hold about one car each which merge right before the pick-up window.  I'm not sure the point of the split lanes at that location.  

I can't wait for the place to open as it's just a couple of blocks from work.  

Edited by Arkanzin

On June 22, 2016 at 1:05 PM, Arkanzin said:

10 parking spots, including 2 for handicapped drivers, and a tiny lot.  The building is weirdly shaped with the dining area at the backside of the lot and the back of the building facing the street.  I'm not sure how the drive-thru will work.  There are two lanes which hold about one car each which merge right before the pick-up window.  I'm not sure the point of the split lanes at that location.  

I can't wait for the place to open as it's just a couple of blocks from work.  

I've driven by...by all accounts, they built the BACK of the building facing the street!!!!  And by "back" I mean condensing units, conduits, meters, dumpers, etc. facing the street!  It is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  First, what self-respecting person with any sense would want to be involved with or own such a monstrosity.  Second, and maybe even more importantly, where is the city in this?  Is there no procedure or process for review/approval in this instance?  Did someone actually review this and say, "Yep, that works."?

On 6/25/2016 at 7:28 AM, Architect said:

I've driven by...by all accounts, they built the BACK of the building facing the street!!!!  And by "back" I mean condensing units, conduits, meters, dumpers, etc. facing the street!  It is the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen.  First, what self-respecting person with any sense would want to be involved with or own such a monstrosity.  Second, and maybe even more importantly, where is the city in this?  Is there no procedure or process for review/approval in this instance?  Did someone actually review this and say, "Yep, that works."?

Yep.  It's the weirdest thing.  It's like the plans were drawn up and the blueprints were read upside down.  

Here are some photos of the location.  All of the photos were taken from Old Cantrell Road just outside Pizza Cafe's front doors.  

Notice the double drive-thru which narrows immediately thereafter to one lane.  Also note the back door faces the street and the windows all face the fence and the backside of the building on the next street. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

12 hours ago, Architect said:

I'll admit that I don't know all the details, but first impressions are that it's incredibly lame.  This should not have been built.

I sat and looked at the map trying to figure out maybe they were trying to face it towards something that can't be seen in the photos. I can't do it. There are buildings on all sides. Maybe they were trying to showcase the drive thru because parking is minimal. Easier access for people to use the drive thru? Maybe? I really don't know. Perhaps we shall all be pleasantly surprised when it opens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

It's not open just yet, but the construction process has gotten the attention of an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reporter.

Good...I'm going to promote this on social media.  Ridiculous that sometimes just adhering to the letter of the law isn't good enough...can someone, ANYONE at the city not apply some rationale response to avoid this type of debacle?

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, ArkansasTraveler said:

It lasted a little over 5 years. Next?

Pretty shocking actually...I mean, it's a big store (SF) but seemed relatively well trafficked.  I suppose retail is taking a beating everywhere, but this means basically ZERO Wal-Mart retail/grocer anywhere but the periphery of the metro.  Disappointing.

That being said, I understand several developers have been pushing Riverdale as a potential second location for Whole Foods or Fresh Market (or Trader Joe's?)...though this box still seems too big.  Sometimes with a cull, something better comes of it...we'll see.

3 hours ago, Architect said:

Pretty shocking actually...I mean, it's a big store (SF) but seemed relatively well trafficked.  I suppose retail is taking a beating everywhere, but this means basically ZERO Wal-Mart retail/grocer anywhere but the periphery of the metro.  Disappointing.

That being said, I understand several developers have been pushing Riverdale as a potential second location for Whole Foods or Fresh Market (or Trader Joe's?)...though this box still seems too big.  Sometimes with a cull, something better comes of it...we'll see.

Even if somehow it manages to be a more budget-minded Whole Foods 365 (as opposed to the flagship chain), it would be welcome. (For that matter, I think I'd just as soon have Aldi as Trader Joe's, and Aldi has announced major expansion plans to become competitive with both Walmart and Kroger.) 

I do wonder if the gas pumps out front from  the Riverdale store are somehow inextricable from the store's lease and weighing down potential new tenants. Remember that it took some time before Walmart finally followed up Harvest Foods.

If Walmart can't make that location a go, I'm not sure a Whole Foods or Fresh Market could either.   I don't see Trader Joe's rushing in to that location.    The location is too big for an Aldi or a Lidl.    I'm just not sure what that location would be ideal for.  

There has to be something.  A Big Lots, perhaps? 

19 minutes ago, LRU1967 said:

My understanding is that the problem was a dispute over the rent and neither party would budge. Seems  to me that Walmart is a dependable tenant vs what might end up in the space.

If that's true (and that seems more likely than slow sales), what a tragic position the owner/developer took...surely it's not worth losing a tenant as significant was Wal-Mart!  If WM wouldn't pay, who in the world do they think would?

Does anyone know whether the DollarTree in Riverdale has permanently closed?  There are hand-made posters at the entrance to the building which say, "Store Closed".   The lights are on.  There seems to be inventory in the store.  However, the store has been been closed for weeks now.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/9/2017 at 3:56 PM, Arkanzin said:

Does anyone know whether the DollarTree in Riverdale has permanently closed?  There are hand-made posters at the entrance to the building which say, "Store Closed".   The lights are on.  There seems to be inventory in the store.  However, the store has been been closed for weeks now.  

Dollar Tree has reopened, and has done brisk business so far, as some of my neighbors have observed.

Latest word on the Walmart site is that Hays Supermarkets, with locations in northeast Arkansas and southeast Missouri, may be interested in entering Little Rock.

• 1 month later...
On 10/9/2017 at 11:25 AM, Architect said:

If that's true (and that seems more likely than slow sales), what a tragic position the owner/developer took...surely it's not worth losing a tenant as significant was Wal-Mart!  If WM wouldn't pay, who in the world do they think would?

I wondered about the tenant end of the equation, too. The grocery store isn't the only vacancy in the shopping center; the former cell phone store between Whole Hog's banquet room and the movie theater has been empty for around two years (and lately is cluttered with junk inside).  Some quick Googling shows the leasing contact for that space is with PBA Realty, based just up the road on Cottondale Lane. I'd assume that PBA manages the whole center, but maybe not.

• 4 weeks later...

Been meaning to comment that a ServiceMaster in the old Mercedes dealership is a massive disappointment. That area has the potential to be a unique, quirky, interesting neighborhood but keeps missing every chance. 

That property should have been redeveloped, and you'd think especially with the success of the RiverHouse development right across the way there'd have been more interest. 

1 minute ago, arky said:

Been meaning to comment that a ServiceMaster in the old Mercedes dealership is a massive disappointment. That area has the potential to be a unique, quirky, interesting neighborhood but keeps missing every chance. 

That property should have been redeveloped, and you'd think especially with the success of the RiverHouse development right across the way there'd have been more interest. 

Agreed...super lame.  I guess the old Riverside Motors site/complex is already set up for automotive/industrial, so it's ripe for someone like Service Master to step in.  

I had heard talks from local developers who were wooing Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's to several sites in Riverdale, obviously to no avail (though it seemed there was some interest).  

13 minutes ago, Architect said:

Agreed...super lame.  I guess the old Riverside Motors site/complex is already set up for automotive/industrial, so it's ripe for someone like Service Master to step in.    

Even so, it's hard for me to believe the numbers on leasing to ServiceMaster vs. contributing the land to a redevelopment wouldn't be vastly superior in the latter. 

I've also noticed the Riviera Condos are basically empty - looks like two or three at most lit up at night. I wonder how long until that investor has to convert those to rentals? The demand for rentals would undoubtedly be high there, but it's tough to sell a condo for $250k when you can get a decent house for that in the market. 

• Like 1