New Year's Predictions - 2020

KJHburg

On 12/26/2018 at 9:53 PM, KJHburg said:

and I shall require no taxpayer paid incentives ....well maybe a dozen doughnuts from Charlotte based Krispy Kreme or the lunch special at Superica LOL!  But I will take cheap tacos from Sabor.

Speaking of Sabor when is the opening date of the one uptown? Last time I peeked in a couple of weeks ago I though I saw furniture etc.

I very much appreciate that you aren’t seeking taxpayer paid incentives.  However, you may want to flirt with the South Carolina forum.  I understand they may offer you 18,000 likes to relocate.  That’ll put you over 40,000.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 12/26/2018 at 8:34 PM, Nick2 said:

I really don't understand why they haven't upgraded Rockingham to Charlotte to interstate for freight traffic from the Wilmington port. If not for the regular commuters too. That's probably the single most common sense upgrade corridor in the state.

And its only about 34 miles from Marshville to Rockingham, essentially connecting I-74 to the new tollway. There is a feasibility study from 2003, but haven't seen any action on this.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-4441_Feasibility-Study_Report_2003.pdf

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarolinaDaydreamin said:

And its only about 34 miles from Marshville to Rockingham, essentially connecting I-74 to the new tollway. There is a feasibility study from 2003, but haven't seen any action on this.

https://connect.ncdot.gov/projects/planning/FeasibilityStudiesDocuments/R-4441_Feasibility-Study_Report_2003.pdf

Nice find! I seems like it wouldn't be too incredibly expensive and the upgrades wouldn't affect a huge number of businesses and homes. That just seems like such a no-brainer to me.

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 8:28 AM, InSouthPark said:

My brewery related ones:

I think one or more breweries in the area will close up.

The 25k barrel self distribution cap will be increased. 

We will continue to see breweries open second locations as "tap rooms" much like Legion in South Charlotte.   

Fonta Flora in Optimist Hall becomes THE beer geek spot in town.

More out of town breweries announce plans to set up tap rooms in Charlotte.  Burial from Asheville comes mind after they get Raleigh open in 2019.  

Fonta Flora as in the brewery from Morganton?

On 1/1/2019 at 6:48 PM, thenewkage95 said:

The corridor is perfect and it bothers me that the Triad have a million different interstates and the Triangle is building a new interstate to Virginia. It just makes logical sense to upgrade 74 to interstate in my humble opinion.

what new interstate is that?

Hopefully they throw the entire North Tryon Vision Plan out the window. Not really a fan of all those small buildings that could be prime real estate for major company headquarters and land for more attractions and simply to balance out the skyline ( with more skyscrapers) that seems to only be growing on the south side of Uptown. 

That 20 story building by UNCC uptown may finally kick off.  Fingers crosses*

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

The North Tryon Vision Plan is awesome, in my opinion.  It creates a pedestrian experience, which will do more for Uptown than adding more bank towers with nothing but a bank branch on the first floor.  Uptown has seen crazy boom growth, but even with crazy boom growth there is a limit to have many tall towers they are going to build in the short to intermediate term.  Take Honeywell for instance.  They are a Fortune 100 company moving their headquarters here, and if rumors are true they will fit in two 8ish story office buildings in South End (Spectrum).  Even a Fortune 100 company isn't going to necessarily result in 30+ story towers.  I would rather see the North Tryon Vision Plan fulfilled, and exciting pedestrian experience created, rather than empty buildings (Hall House) and surface lots sitting for 75 years in wait of tall towers.

If anything, if the North Tryon Vision plan was implemented like they plan, I think it would actually attract even more companies that would want to locate near areas that millennial and young professionals want to live at.

That said, RDF and others have implied North Tryon will get a couple of tall towers in this cycle anyway, which fit into the current vision.

I'm a fan of the pedestrian experience and the retail, as well as the multi use buildings. Trust me, I dont want to see big banks with just a branch on the ground floor. I want mix-use skyscrapers that will include attached hotels, maybe one or two condo projects, a new museum, lots more retail. and green space. I just did't like all those small roads and buildings. felt like I would see water fountains in the middle of brick roads like South Park or something. It just looks  very neighborhood-ish and not the urban core of  the city, 

I predict Lowes will Anchor a building, also anchored by a Leows Cinema, a Lowes Foods and a Leows Hotel. Just cuz, who doesn't want to be super confused ever time they see this. (thanks @jjwilli for the reminder about Lowes Foods)

Edited by Guest

16 minutes ago, Hushpuppy321 said:

What the heck is up with Publix??  They're building a store in a similar Downtown Mixed Use project like 10 Tryon will be (Retail/Office) but no traction here yet?  Maybe the intense grocery wars in CLT has scared them off...

It hasn't. They are still intent on occupying that location. 10 Tryon is due for news soon (going back to one office building, one hotel building) and Publix is very much so still part of the plans.