New Year's Predictions - 2020

KJHburg

1 hour ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I predict Lowes will Anchor a building, also anchored by a Leows Cinema, a Lowes Foods and a Leows Hotel. Just cuz, who doesn't want to be super confused ever time they see this. (thanks @jjwilli for the reminder about Lowes Foods)

... and a Mama Lo’s Soul Food Kitchen at ground level.

I say again, Publix generally operates at tectonic pace. As an example, they bought a Publix-anchored strip center, in Cocoa Beach, in 2013, with the intent to modernize and expand that store. 

It’s just recently gotten underway.

• Like 2

On 12/21/2018 at 9:09 PM, mpretori said:

My prediction is wall street moves to Uptown in BOA's new mega pyramid. :D

You jest at me highlighting my favorite predictions, but...

Bank of America / Morgan Stanley to form new stock exchange...

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/07/bank-of-america-morgan-stanley-others-to-form-new.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

:tw_smirk: 

lol

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/news/2019/01/07/bank-of-america-morgan-stanley-others-to-form-new.html?iana=hpmvp_clt_news_headline

lol

I don't understand a damn thing in that article. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, J-Rob said:

lol

hmm wonder where the back office or non trading jobs could be based?   Maybe Charlotte.  Not as far fetched as it sounds the NYSE is owned by an Atlanta based company!

https://www.intercontinentalexchange.com/index

• Like 1

That would be an awesome win for Charlotte but the companies involved are all HQd in NYC except TD Ameritrade.

But hey, where else to station a new and exciting exchange back office than a new and exciting and booming city!

Edited by Nick2
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, kermit said:

??????

The companies involved according to the link are headquartered in New York. TD Ameritrade is in Omaha though. UBS AG's US headquarters are NYC. I guess that doesn't really make an argument against putting something for MEMX in Charlotte but I was hoping at least one of the consortium members would be based in Charlotte or have a really large presence. Bank of America is obviously based here but Merrill Lynch is in NYC.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

The companies involved according to the link are headquartered in New York. TD Ameritrade is in Omaha though. UBS AG's US headquarters are NYC. I guess that doesn't really make an argument against putting something for MEMX in Charlotte but I was hoping at least one of the consortium members would be based in Charlotte or have a really large presence. Bank of America is obviously based here but Merrill Lynch is in NYC.

Fwiw, BOA owns Merrill Lynch.  Merrill Lynch Wealth Management is an American wealth management division under the auspices of Bank of America.  Along with Bank of America Merrill Lynch, the investment banking arm, both firms engage in prime brokerage and security dealings. The firm is headquartered in New York City, and occupies the entire 34 stories of 250 Vesey Street, part of the Brookfield Place complex, in Manhattan.  Merrill Lynch employs over 15,000 financial advisors and manages $2.2 trillion in client assets.  The firm has its origins in Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. which, prior to 2009, was publicly owned and traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol MER.  Merrill Lynch & Co. agreed to be acquired by Bank of America on September 14, 2008, at the height of the 2008 Financial Crisis. The acquisition was completed in January 2009 and Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc. was merged into Bank of America Corporation in October 2013, although certain Bank of America subsidiaries continue to carry the Merrill Lynch name, including the broker-dealer Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith.

Link:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrill_Lynch

• Like 4

2 hours ago, J-Rob said:

^just having fun dreaming about our city.  Like @KJHburg said, if nothing else, why not put some back office operations here, in the distant number 2 or 3 financial market.

Oh I totally agree. I love the idea of them launching something like that in Charlotte period in any capacity. I was just wondering how viable it would be. Charlotte could very easily be the face of a new and exciting exchange. There is enough clout here for it.

@QCxpatI was just going with that they are headquartered in NYC and have been in NYC since it's inception even though it is now owned by Bank of America. But maybe if the parent company is here that could sway things.

And I know this is just speculation and everything but it's fun to think about.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, tozmervo said:

I don't understand a damn thing in that article. 

This article is little easier to understand.  The main goal is to reduce costly data feeds.  If that is the case you will place as many people away from NYC as possible to save costs and Charlotte would be a great location with lots of people versed in trading etc.  https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/01/08/wall-street-launches-new-stock-exchange-taking-direct-aim-at-nyse-nasdaq/?ssid=112928427

Edited by KJHburg
  • Like 2

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/next-month-s-nba-all-star-game-projected-to-bring-100-million-to-charlotte/898102044

I'm sure that after the all Star game next month, which is expected to bring in over 100 million dollars over that weekend will spark interest in people who may want to live here, or the success of  the events, parties, and game will spark more interest for people to visit. Thankfully many more hotel rooms have been added since the initial announcement. 

Related image

Edited by j-man

10 minutes ago, j-man said:

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/next-month-s-nba-all-star-game-projected-to-bring-100-million-to-charlotte/898102044

I'm sure that after the all Star game next month, which is expected to bring in over 100 million dollars over that weekend will spark interest in people who may want to live here, or the success of  the events, parties, and game will spark more interest for people to visit. Thankfully many more hotel rooms have been added since the initial announcement. 

Related image

If they call CIAA a $50M boost, surely the All Star Game has to be more than 2x that, no? Anybody have a hookup for All Star 2019? Its my birthday weekend, and I REALLY do not want to spend $1800 a day to go to the events

Edited by Guest

5 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

If they call CIAA a $50M boost, surely the All Star Game has to be more than 2x that, no?

Yeah. I believe with all the high profile celebrities that will be attending and all the events hosted around town,  this may be bigger. Surprisingly the article said that the last All Star game in New Orleans only brought in around 45 million. That seems kind of low for NOLA. But hey if Charlotte is going to do over double that. Its still good. 

Edited by j-man

https://www.charlottesgotalot.com/2019nbaallstar 

This is a really cool article about All Star Weekend. This makes me excited! 1,800 worldwide media members,  23 million television viewers and over 1.2 Billion social media expressions from previous games. Hopefully this years one will deliver those numbers, and hopefully some of that buzz will have to do with the city alone. And it says most rooms have been secured (thousands). Mostly uptown I'm sure. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, j-man said:

https://www.charlottesgotalot.com/2019nbaallstar 

This is a really cool article about All Star Weekend. This makes me excited! 1,800 worldwide media members,  23 million television viewers and over 1.2 Billion social media expressions from previous games. Hopefully this years one will deliver those numbers, and hopefully some of that buzz will have to do with the city alone. And it says most rooms have been secured (thousands). Mostly uptown I'm sure. 

Uptown is pretty much sold out. The hotels that do have availability the weekend of Feb 15th are EXPENSIVE! 

$251 a night for the Super 8 on Camden, $299 for the Days Inn on Woodlawn, $199 for the Sleep Inn on Northlake, and $476 for the Sheraton Charlotte Airport. 

I really hope they utilize all those empty lots around the arena for more pop up stores and experiences.  Or even around those empty lots near CTC...could create a really cool NBA village type atmosphere.  I know the Epicentre is going to be kind of the NBA Central for things but with so many ppl in town for the weekend, hope they make the best of all the shopping opportunities.  Would love to see a pop up shipping container shops and stuff somewhere too.  There are a ton of lots around the arena that I hope are utilize to create a truly special weekend.

*Hate that there weren't any public tickets released for the actual all star game and skills challenge.  Rising stars, media day, and celeb game look fairly affordable.  Epicentre NBA experience is free to the public.  Looking forward to this weekend and don't forget to vote for Kemba!  We are the best team in the NBA when we are one game below .500, hence we will go 41-41 this season lol.  

Edited by CharlotteWkndBuzz
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CLT2014 said:

Uptown is pretty much sold out. The hotels that do have availability the weekend of Feb 15th are EXPENSIVE! 

$251 a night for the Super 8 on Camden, $299 for the Days Inn on Woodlawn, $199 for the Sleep Inn on Northlake, and $476 for the Sheraton Charlotte Airport. 

Wow. Its getting real. The restaurants, bars, and malls will be crazy packed that week. I can only imagine the Epicenter lol.

2 minutes ago, CharlotteWkndBuzz said:

I really hope they utilize all those empty lots around the arena for more pop up stores and experiences.  Or even around those empty lots near CTC...could create a really cool NBA village type atmosphere.  I know the Epicentre is going to be kind of the NBA Central for things but with so many ppl in town for the weekend, hope they make the best of all the shopping opportunities.  Would love to see a pop up shipping container shops and stuff somewhere too.  There are a ton of lots around the arena that I hope are utilize to create a truly special weekend.

*Hate that there weren't any public tickets released for the actual all star game and skills challenge.  Rising stars, media day, and celeb game look fairly affordable.  Epicentre NBA experience is free to the public.  Looking forward to this weekend and don't forget to vote for Kemba!

How much are the tickets for the celebrity game? And yeah I'm sure uptown will be crazy. I want to see more food trucks too as I'm sure they will do great! See! if that lot in front of Spectrum was a beautiful park like I wanted, that would have been great for this weekend, :tw_grimace:

I think I completely under-estimated the All Star Game's physical impact. I learned today that the transit center will be closed that weekend, similar to the DNC, because it falls in the security "clean zone." A temporary bus transfer area will be made between 7th and 8th

• Like 2

On 12/18/2018 at 9:05 PM, Prodev said:

- Shake Shack announces 2-3 more Charlotte locations, Charlotte Agenda HQ explodes as a result

- Amazon Go makes its way to Charlotte. Recently rebuilt Charlotte Agenda HQ explodes again

Since Charlotte Agenda appears to be in one piece, don't think they've gotten word yet that Barry's Bootcamp is opening in Atherton Mill.

16 hours ago, tozmervo said:

I learned today that the transit center will be closed that weekend, similar to the DNC, because it falls in the security "clean zone." A temporary bus transfer area will be made between 7th and 8th

For this same reason, the CTC will end up moving away from the current location into multiple smaller locations after Charlotte Gateway Station is up and running.

Every time you have a big event at Spectrum, they have to shut it down and move it somewhere else.