New Year's Predictions - 2020

KJHburg

5 hours ago, Scribe said:

For this same reason, the CTC will end up moving away from the current location into multiple smaller locations after Charlotte Gateway Station is up and running.

Every time you have a big event at Spectrum, they have to shut it down and move it somewhere else.

I think CATS would love to do that, the CTC has certain advantages but is a huge headache for staff & riders in many ways. All it takes is $$$

• Like 1

^You'd think after seeing how the original Blue Line stations all became heavy bus transfer locations  that CATS would learn to design BLE stations better for bus transfers. And yet most of the new stations lack bus bays or have a maximum of two to three bays for the few stations with them.  This poor planning continued even after having to expensively retrofit 485 station for more buses and Arrowood for a comfort station.  If CATS is truly committed to replacing CTC, they're doing very little to help set up that future. 

Edited by southslider
  • Like 4

So I did CLT to Asheville this weekend and a few observations:

1)  downtown 85 to 74 was a breeze;

2) Once I hit Shelby it sucked, but;

3) Once I was in Rutherford County it was a breeze all the way to downtown Asheville.

Something I didn't realize is the Shelby bypass is a lot farther along than I realized, meaning I could get from Charlotte to Asheville in about 1:45 once the road is complete.  That's not too shabby all things considered.

Headed the other way, the Monroe bypass has been a godsend, I just don't look forward to the day when it's bumper to bumper like huge swaths of 485 are now.  Not sure they built enough lanes but we shall see.  Now, if we could get a bypass around Wadesboro we'd have a highway from Asheville to Wilmington.  It'll still be a six hour haul but considering it takes 8 hours on 40 that's a nice improvement.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

3) Once I was in Rutherford County it was a breeze all the way to downtown Asheville.

Something I didn't realize is the Shelby bypass is a lot farther along than I realized, meaning I could get from Charlotte to Asheville in about 1:45 once the road is complete.  That's not too shabby all things considered.

Headed the other way, the Monroe bypass has been a godsend, I just don't look forward to the day when it's bumper to bumper like huge swaths of 485 are now.  Not sure they built enough lanes but we shall see.  Now, if we could get a bypass around Wadesboro we'd have a highway from Asheville to Wilmington.  It'll still be a six hour haul but considering it takes 8 hours on 40 that's a nice improvement.

You got lucky. I26 from Asheville to Hendersonville can be utterly miserable anymore

17 hours ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Shelby does not suck.  Seriously it only adds about 20 minutes to your Journey, unless you hit it during rush hour(s).  Don't get me wrong it's a relatively cheap project, and worth securing the ROW for, but man I'm loath to add more highway miles.  Especially when There are so many other projects that need funding. (I-77, statewide and regional transit needs, figuring out some way to address the traffic on I-85 in Gastonia during rush hour, etc...)  Don't get me wrong the project will totally help me out (i'm just north of Shelby), and bring some much needed infrastructure to northern Cleveland County making it more attractive for jobs.  but I have to question if that money would be better spent elsewhere.

And to answer your question about the Monroe bypass, they did not build enough lanes.  There is no such thing as enough lanes.   If you build it we will clog it.  

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We were just talking about  the Epicenter on another thread,  and I have had the though in my head about another one being put somewhere along the Lynx blueline, so I would like to go ahead and predict that there will be a second version of one in either South End or one around the north end right outside uptown. Or simply another mega complex for entertainment. 

29 minutes ago, j-man said:

We were just talking about  the Epicenter on another thread,  and I have had the though in my head about another one being put somewhere along the Lynx blueline, so I would like to go ahead and predict that there will be a second version of one in either South End or one around the north end right outside uptown. Or simply another mega complex for entertainment. 

Nailed it

https://www.charlotteagenda.com/114641/get-ready-ride-light-rail-topgolf-new-university-city-entertainment-district/

Plans are in the works for major development in walking distance of stops on the Blue Line Extension, set to open in March. It’s already being labeled the area’s “entertainment district.”

The first steps — Charlotte’s second Topgolf location — were approved last week.

There are also plans for a bowling alley, movie theater, bar, brewery, restaurants and a hotel — but details are still being worked out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, SouthEndCLT811 said:

I never heard about this!! what! But is this entire thing around University City? Hope not, they have enough! Go to class!

Edited by j-man
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, j-man said:

I never heard about this!! what! But is this entire thing around University City? Hope not, they have enough! Go to class!

I have class for a total of like 16 hours a week. Plus like 5 hours hw for 21 total. Me and the other 30000 students with similar time commitments have a lot of time and money to throw at things,  UC is a great place for this

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Brendv7 said:

5 hours a week of hw? Is that typical for UNCC? Sounds like a breeze. 

As someone on the receiving side of this equation I can say that the days of 3 hours of homework per 1 hour of class were one of the first causalities of the internet era.

• Like 1

Finance major. I didn’t have any homework in my 2 years at UNCC (first 2 somewhere else.) just showed up to class and took notes. Studied the week of a test. My classes were mostly 3 test and that’s it usually (which is beyond stressful.) 

I only had 1 class where we had homework 2x a week, projects, quizzes, pop quizzes she wouldn’t tell you the date, group projects and midterm and 3 exams. But it was her first year at UNCC. Got on my Nerves.

there was on professor that I struck gold with. We just had to do 2 group project. Very very easy group projects. And each day of class, we heard a group present. No exams, not even a final exam. (He didn’t really care about teaching — he said he had to teach every other semester or something. He just wanted to do research at UNCC, but teaching was required so many hours a year.)

Edited by AirNostrumMAD

19 hours ago, Trickbot said:

I have class for a total of like 16 hours a week. Plus like 5 hours hw for 21 total. Me and the other 30000 students with similar time commitments have a lot of time and money to throw at things,  UC is a great place for this

When I went to Carolina, free time was never the issue. 

It was fundage.  

2 hours ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Finance major. I didn’t have any homework in my 2 years at UNCC (first 2 somewhere else.) just showed up to class and took notes. Studied the week of a test. My classes were mostly 3 test and that’s it usually (which is beyond stressful.) 

I only had 1 class where we had homework 2x a week, projects, quizzes, pop quizzes she wouldn’t tell you the date, group projects and midterm and 3 exams. But it was her first year at UNCC. Got on my Nerves.

there was on professor that I struck gold with. We just had to do 2 group project. Very very easy group projects. And each day of class, we heard a group present. No exams, not even a final exam. (He didn’t really care about teaching — he said he had to teach every other semester or something. He just wanted to do research at UNCC, but teaching was required so many hours a year.)

Things must have changed since the mid-2000s, or else earning a degree from Miami is a lot more difficult.  Don’t get me wrong, I thoroughly enjoyed all South Florida had to offer, but school was a full-time job, and you were expected to be prepared to discuss takeaways from the previous class at the next class; no showing up just to listen to a lecture.  With homework, readings, individual and group projects, quizzes, midterms and finals, plus extracurricular and volunteer activities, I easily had a 60-hour “work” week every semester.

Edit: Finance was also one of my majors, and other students always reminded us that we had it easy in the business schoool.

Edited by cltcane

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...