New Year's Predictions - 2020

KJHburg

24 minutes ago, Tyrone Wiggum said:

Call me when DUK is over 9000.

I have to keep my mouth shut about DUK so as not to betray a confidence, but it's not out of bounds to ask why Duke isn't building a tower that can accommodate  both its present and future workforce as opposed to what appears to be the current piecemeal space solution.

Yea its weird to me too. I guess 2025-26 is too far ahead for them for some reaosn

I did this last year and had fun, so here are my (somewhat) realistic predictions for 2019.  Note I do not predict any type of  market crash or related recession next year, just more continued caution and restrained real estate and corporate lending practices leading to slower + more modest growth than the past few years.  CLT and NC get a few more corporate relocations, and CLT continues to see booming population growth and the recently finished apartments have little problem filling up.

Notable 2019 Groundbreakings:

• Market 42
  • LU part deux
  • LU part trois (hotel)
  • Duke Energy (increased to 45 floors)
  • Portman SouthEnd
  • Spectrum SouthEnd
  • Capitol Tower III
  • Carolina Theater (has it already technically broken ground?)
  • EB Arrow stuff at University City 
  • NAI Elizabeth

Notable New Project Announcements:

• Panthers practice facility & HQ (on site of old Knights stadium)
  • Cousins across from DFA
  • BofA office, library, apartments (some affordable) & retail at 7th & College
  • BIG BANG (Silver + West with a Center City alignment on the north side through Levineland and a tunnel under Graham, plus a rabid bus instead of the Red Line commuter train)
  • Lots more small condo & townhome projects scattered across the city

Notable non-happenings:

• Nothing on Levine (not even selling land)
  • Nothing in Brookhill Village (my MLS stadium dreamsite)
  • Nothing at Eastland Mall
  • Nothing with Brooklyn Village
  • City buys Duke’s data center on 3rd, but doesn’t announce their intentions for it
  • Like 2

Question to everyone about 526 S. Church...  To me I would think that LH/GS have too much risk to fill out the remaining sections of Legacy Union to spend millions more on 526 S. Church and potentially the parking deck across the street too.  Seems like too little diversification for one developer.

Obviously others disagree.  For those of you that think LH/GS will purchase 526 S. Church, do you really think there is enough mid-term development potential to fill out both Legacy Union and this redevelopment?  I would love to hear more thoughts on this.

14 hours ago, lancer22 said:
10) Another South End office tower announced by the Design Center

I assume your talking about Harris land company behind Tupelo Honey. I hadn’t factored that in. 100k sq feet office, 20k retail it’s been getting kicked around for a few years. I believe it was linked to a suburban relocation a year or so ago, but haven’t heard much since.

Also Polk got a 500k demo permit. It starts coming down just after Christmas. They must be seeing enough interest in 550 Uptown. Which is why I said Lennar is the last over 20 floors, and didn't say over 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Guest

I am excited over these predictions and maybe our ship has finally come in here in Charlotte!  

this ship is at the National Gingerbread Contest in Asheville at the Grove Park Inn

IMG_7297.JPG

18 minutes ago, J-Rob said:

Question to everyone about 526 S. Church...  To me I would think that LH/GS have too much risk to fill out the remaining sections of Legacy Union to spend millions more on 526 S. Church and potentially the parking deck across the street too.  Seems like too little diversification for one developer.

Obviously others disagree.  For those of you that think LH/GS will purchase 526 S. Church, do you really think there is enough mid-term development potential to fill out both Legacy Union and this redevelopment?  I would love to hear more thoughts on this.

I think with their financial partner Goldman Sachs it surely could happen as a long term hold i.e. maybe buy it hold it for while until Legacy is built out then continue over there.  I do think they are the most logical buyer. 

• Like 3

1. RDF moves back to town and UP collectively loses their crap.

2. Much more serious discussion about 1000 room hotel at the Duke data center site or the lot by the Hall of fame. Especially once the CC renovations get underway in Feb.

3. Continued strong office market with more high rises coming to south end in addition to the projects already announced.

4. Apartment boom continues throughout Charlotte but slows some in Uptown and Southend.

5. Significant condo project is announced for Uptown or South end for the first time in a while.

6. Another parcel of levines is sold and plans released for a project but it won't break ground in 2019.

7. Hotel is announced and possibly even broken ground at legacy.

8. Polk is demolished and either sits empty or turned into parking.

9. At the end of the year, it's announced that phase 2 of the gold line will be delayed by a year.

10. Intercontinental is topped out but not finished by year end like originally planned.

11. Duke's new tower has renderings released and everyone loves the design except for a couple who hate it. Then they release updated renderings further in the year and everyone hates it except for a few who still love it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/14/2018 at 7:48 AM, grodney said:

One or more new breweries will open.

My brewery related ones:

I think one or more breweries in the area will close up.

The 25k barrel self distribution cap will be increased. 

We will continue to see breweries open second locations as "tap rooms" much like Legion in South Charlotte.   

Fonta Flora in Optimist Hall becomes THE beer geek spot in town.

More out of town breweries announce plans to set up tap rooms in Charlotte.  Burial from Asheville comes mind after they get Raleigh open in 2019.  

Predictions:

1. Duke Energy Building - Rendering & Ground Breaking (39 Floors)
  2. LU2 - Ground Breaking & Top Out (Oct - Dec 2019) with LU3 announced but no groundbreaking till mid 2020
  3. Market 42 - Ground Breaking (1st Q2019)
  4. Market 42 Hotel - Ground Breaking (Late 4Q 2019)
  5. Spectrum Southend - Ground Breaking
  6. Portman Office Southend - Rendering &  Rezoning (1st Q2019), Ground Breaking (Late 2nd Q2019)
  7. Capitol Tower 3 Southpark - Ground Breaking  (Only office this year with no others announced till late 2020)
  8. Ballantyne Corporate Park Tower - Ground Breaking (Only office this year with no others announced till late 2020)
  9. Midtown Medical Office (Atrium) - Ground Breaking (Late 1st Q2019)
  10. StreetCar - Continued Construction with minor delays but opens on time for RNC (July/Aug 2020)
  11. West Mixed-Use Building (Mosiac) - Ground Breaking (Late 2nd Q2019)
  12. Slowed Apartment for Southend (Maybe only 2 announced but 1 groundbreaking by end of 2019)
  13. Slowed Apartment for NODA/OP Area (Maybe only 3 announced but 1 groundbreaking by end of 2019)
  14. Polk Site - Demolition, Ground Breaking (Late 2nd Q2019)
  15. N. Tryon (Publix Site) - Updated Timeframe announced (Groundbreaking Late 4th Q2019 to Early 2nd Q2020)
  16. UNCC Hotel @ JW Clay - Groundbreaking (Late 2nd Q2019), will not be open in time for RNC
  17. LightRail BL & BLE - Ridership & Travel Times will improve
  18. City Buses - Ridership & Travel Times will improve (Numbers released on their realignment/updated routes by late 3rd Q2019)
  19. Big-Bang Transit Plans - Fully determined routes released to public with funding Options by Late 3rd Q2019, ballot referendum Paperwork by 2nd Q2020 (For public up/down vote on Nov 2020)
  20. Cam Newton - Removed/Replaced as QB for Panthers 2019 Season (He's well loved but holding back the team)
  21. David Tepper - Announces HQ & Practice field plans, Requests specific amount Stadium Upgrades & releases schedule/Plans for  MLS
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, lancer22 said:

High

13 hours ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

I assume your talking about Harris land company behind Tupelo Honey. I hadn’t factored that in. 100k sq feet office, 20k retail it’s been getting kicked around for a few years. I believe it was linked to a suburban relocation a year or so ago, but haven’t heard much since.

Also Polk got a 500k demo permit. It starts coming down just after Christmas. They must be seeing enough interest in 550 Uptown. Which is why I said Lennar is the last over 20 floors, and didn't say over 14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually talking about the parking lot across from Superica. 

6 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

Actually talking about the parking lot across from Superica. 

8) Back half of the Honey site  gets a small office tower announced. Who knows if it happens.

I apparently linked to the wrong number. I know about the office tower accross from Superica. 

3 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

8) Back half of the Honey site  gets a small office tower announced. Who knows if it happens.

I apparently linked to the wrong number. I know about the office tower accross from Superica. 

Sorry no, the Honey site is the one right in front of Spectrum South End and behind Alliance apartments. Refers to Honey Properties.

Just now, lancer22 said:

Sorry no, the Honey site is the one right in front of Spectrum South End and behind Alliance apartments. Refers to Honey Properties.

ohhhhhh. I was thinking Tupelo Honey, or Honeywell before Honey Properties HAHA. I could see that happening. 

10 minutes ago, AirNostrumMAD said:

Whatever happened with the interest in the buildings along Trade Street and Pine like, 5 years ago? 

haha, when I asked a contact that like 6 months ago they had no idea what I was talking about. You're talking about these buildings right?

image.thumb.png.75430d980a52dff4756366d647be68b8.png

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/01/toronto-group-buys-historic-west-trade-property.html

I found the article phew

Edited by Guest

8 minutes ago, ricky_davis_fan_21 said:

haha, when I asked a contact that like 6 months ago they had no idea what I was talking about. You're talking about these buildings right?

image.thumb.png.75430d980a52dff4756366d647be68b8.png

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlotte/blog/real_estate/2014/01/toronto-group-buys-historic-west-trade-property.html

I found the article phew

Yes, I though I remember this was going to be something to watch near 2020. Obviously things could’ve changed but the cycle is maturing if they plan on doing anything. Hopefully not tearing these things down though!

40 minutes ago, lancer22 said:

http://charlotteeats.blogspot.com/2012/08/yates-louis-yl-honey-hall-of-fame.html

http://charlotteeats.blogspot.com/2017/02/issie-pittle-hall-of-fame-restauranteur.html

Mr Honey had a restaurant at the Morehead-Tryon corner for years. He also had others in the city including one at the Freedom-85 interchange that I recall. After he closed his Morehead location Mr. Issie (Isadore) Pittle took the space and I ate there many times for breakfast. A breakfast plate, coffee and tip was 1 (one) dollar at that time. I could not prepare my breakfast at home for that price.

Mr. Honey, similar to nearly all the Greek restauranteurs, owned his real estate for his establishments.

Edited by tarhoosier
  • Like 2

Okay I'll go...

-Ron Rivera fired. 

- Plan announced to renovate BofA Stadium ala Hard Rock in Miami with naming rights renewed long-term (early). Renovations estimated at $650+ million.

-Honeywell chooses South End. I'd like to say it'll be a yet to be announced tower, but I think it'll be Spectrum based on the rate they're moving. 

-South End will get another 100k tenant announced in addition to Honeywell

-Sycamore Brewing will sell to Portman...mass hysteria will ensue.

-2 CLT area breweries close doors for good in '19  

- S. Tryon corridor from South End to Billy Graham sees massive amounts of dense townhouse projects (for sale)

- Strawn & Brooklyn Village redevelopments remain quiet

-NAI tower remains quiet

- Shake Shack announces 2-3 more Charlotte locations, Charlotte Agenda HQ explodes as a result

- Amazon Go makes its way to Charlotte. Recently rebuilt Charlotte Agenda HQ explodes again

- Phillips Place gets second anchor tenant. 

-Earthfare gets bought. Closes Morrison location. 

• Haha 2