Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

3 hours ago, gibby said:

Another parking lot replacer, and this one on Orange Avenue.  Excellent!

And it's not a bad looking building at all, for a shoebox.

Not wild about the color, but with something that size, there aren't a lot of options. 

One thing I like is that they put the tallest part fronting Orange Ave rather than doing a setback that stepped upward away from Orange.

Hope this one gets going soon.

Normally I'm the one defending everything, but this is an awful non-pedestrian friendly building at one of the most visible intersections of the city and is a key cog linking the northern half of the CBD with the southern half.  Not doing more to stop this is definitely a regret of mine.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Normally I'm the one defending everything, but this is an awful non-pedestrian friendly building at one of the most visible intersections of the city and is a key cog linking the northern half of the CBD with the southern half.  Not doing more to stop this is definitely a regret of mine.

What exactly is non-pedestrian friendly about it? Not being sarcastic, just a serious question. Thanks

7 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

My question is, what would or could you have done to stop it? 

On 11/6/2019 at 4:51 PM, Jvest55 said:

What exactly is non-pedestrian friendly about it? Not being sarcastic, just a serious question. Thanks

There's a single retail location on the entire building, and its farthest away from Robinson.  Buttressed by the fortress that is the BoA building and the cathedral, you've guaranteed 2 blocks of dead pedestrian activity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AndyPok1 said:

There's a single retail location on the entire building, and its farthest away from Robinson.  Buttressed by the fortress that is the BoA building and the cathedral, you've guaranteed 2 blocks of dead pedestrian activity.

This is a really good point.  I wish I'd gone to the hearing also to help you with this.  I guess I thought it was OK because the space could be built out in the future but that's pretty flimsy.  Robinson is a major cross street and it deserved to have a use on the corner.

• Like 1

People will still have to walk in front of the building to get to the retail not to mention the residents and those who will be coming and going to and from BoA.

So it shouldn't be totally devoid of pedestrian activity.

Not as good as having an entire block of storefronts I know, but this is Orlando.

C'est la vie.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

I know the ARB report isn't much to go off, but the Final Review renderings showed both a Starbucks and BurgerFi on the Northeast Corner. Having these mid-block will do a bit to add some life between Livingston and Robinson. This area is also used decently at night for North Quarter residents heading to and from downtown or for anyone going to whatever Dovecote does as night. Even the gym on the corner will give a better perception of safety than a poorly lit parking lot. It's more than Camden Orange Court or Steelhouse or the dormant retail at Camden North Quarter (formerly the Sevens).

40 minutes ago, gibby said:

This is a really good point.  I wish I'd gone to the hearing also to help you with this.  I guess I thought it was OK because the space could be built out in the future but that's pretty flimsy.  Robinson is a major cross street and it deserved to have a use on the corner.

I'd also disagree that Robinson between Orange and I-4 is an area that's friendly to pedestrians and deserves attention. Looking around we've got a parking lot about to become apartments, a church, an abandoned gas station and a grass lot.  Heading west on Robinson we hit that curve in the tracks that makes Robinson one of the least inviting places to cross I-4. 

I guess I don't understand why this project became the one everyone hates. Maybe it's because it didn't give us false hope of good architecture to only get VE'd out, it skipped directly to step 2. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has the ARB link already been shared in this thread?  Frinfrock is doing this project.  They are finishing up "Broadstone Lakehouse" which is now owned by Frinfrock themselves (part of why I think it is going up so quickly) and then I suspect they will hunker down on this site.  I wonder what will complete first between Radius & this.

53 minutes ago, Jerry95 said:

I guess I don't understand why this project became the one everyone hates. Maybe it's because it didn't give us false hope of good architecture to only get VE'd out, it skipped directly to step 2. 

Because it isn't 500' tall.

I kind of like it even though its the kind of "shoebox" building I usually don't like.

• Like 1

Potential tenants for the space are one thing. 

Actually removing the space and replacing it with a garage wall instead a la 520 is a different thing altogether. 

This is what late cycle construction boom looks like. It's the wild west and everybody wants to get to market faster without actual demand for the retail space. 

Hold onto your boots and grab a chair, that next song is getting a bit "dancey"   'round here. 

20 hours ago, Jerry95 said:

I'd also disagree that Robinson between Orange and I-4 is an area that's friendly to pedestrians and deserves attention. Looking around we've got a parking lot about to become apartments, a church, an abandoned gas station and a grass lot.  Heading west on Robinson we hit that curve in the tracks that makes Robinson one of the least inviting places to cross I-4. 

Here's why.  We have a successful CBD.  (Anderson to Jefferson).  There's signs of a potential over the next decade in the Courthouse/Sentinel District (Livingston to Colonial).  We have a fully built out North Quarter of apartments (Colonial to Ivanhoe).

The one key cog missing is the the Jefferson to Livingston section.  And what's the major cross street between the two?  Robinson.  There needs to be something to get people to be willing to walk/hop from area to area.  Every time I bring up Ace Cafe or Dovecote, it basically gets vetoed, because then there's a 10-15 minute walk to the next location.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Here's why.  We have a successful CBD.  (Anderson to Jefferson).  There's signs of a potential over the next decade in the Courthouse/Sentinel District (Livingston to Colonial).  We have a fully built out North Quarter of apartments (Colonial to Ivanhoe).

The one key cog missing is the the Jefferson to Livingston section.  And what's the major cross street between the two?  Robinson.  There needs to be something to get people to be willing to walk/hop from area to area.  Every time I bring up Ace Cafe or Dovecote, it basically gets vetoed, because then there's a 10-15 minute walk to the next location.

You need a veto-proof majority.  

6 hours ago, AndyPok1 said:

Imagine what an actual streetcar from Adventist down to Orlando Heath would do in connecting all these areas.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...