Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

These structures are well engineered and will likely perform better than other low-rise stick-built residential units we have seen built in the last few years.  They can withstand wind-loads very well, however water intrusion and other issues are all about the design details for glazing and roof system. 

I would rather live in one of these concrete pre-fab buildings like Orange/Robinson and Broadstone Lakehouse than a lesser quality structure such as the infamous  "Central Station"  on Orange project north of there  or similar build-qualities. 

Just because it's pre-fab and it is going up fast doesn't mean the structural system is deficient or lesser than other systems. They have less flexibility and variation in design, however, the systems are very sound if not better than other options. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, dcluley98 said:

These structures are well engineered and will likely perform better than other low-rise stick-built residential units we have seen built in the last few years.  They can withstand wind-loads very well, however water intrusion and other issues are all about the design details for glazing and roof system. 

I would rather live in one of these concrete pre-fab buildings like Orange/Robinson and Broadstone Lakehouse than a lesser quality structure such as the infamous  "Central Station"  on Orange project north of there  or similar build-qualities. 

Just because it's pre-fab and it is going up fast doesn't mean the structural system is deficient or lesser than other systems. They have less flexibility and variation in design, however, the systems are very sound if not better than other options. 

Pre fab tends to be better than site built for all the obvious reasons. I can see one day when all decent size construction projects are factory built. 

I’m amazed at how many of these expensive places still have flimsy walls between apartments so that your neighbor might as well be in your bedroom with you (of course, maybe that’s a feature, not a bug for some folks).

If all the concrete mitigates that problem, I’m happy to cheerlead the project. After having solid concrete walls between my neighbors all these years, I’d be loathe to give them up.

I think it would be pretty cool if prefab (concrete) homes would go mainstream too, kind of like the old Sears Kit Homes but w/durable materials http://www.arts-crafts.com/archive/sears/. I'd eventually love to add an addition & totally renovate (without using wood) but the lead-time on something like that is a turn off. I've been looking at shipping container homes - people find unique ways to expand them for wider dimensions, but I'm not sure if the city would allow a renovation like this.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, spenser1058 said:

I’m amazed at how many of these expensive places still have flimsy walls between apartments so that your neighbor might as well be in your bedroom with you (of course, maybe that’s a feature, not a bug for some folks).

Is...is she cute?  

• Haha 1

Three of the four two-story houses that went up on the north side of east Pine St between Summerlin and Hyer back in the 90's, are pre-fab concrete tilt-up construction.  Fastened together with embedded steel tabs welded together and insulated with 4" thick sheets of styrofoam glued to the inside of the exterior wall panels.

I wouldn't mind riding out a hurricane in something like that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JFW657 said:

Three of the four two-story houses that went up on the north side of east Pine St between Summerlin and Hyer back in the 90's, are pre-fab concrete tilt-up construction.  Fastened together with embedded steel tabs welded together and insulated with 4" thick sheets of styrofoam glued to the inside of the exterior wall panels.

I wouldn't mind riding out a hurricane in something like that.

Nice. I'm drawing a blank... street view link when you have time?

I wonder which company specializes in this, it'd be nice to keep their contact info in my back pocket.

50 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Nice. I'm drawing a blank... street view link when you have time?

I wonder which company specializes in this, it'd be nice to keep their contact info in my back pocket.

It's the 700 - 800 block of East Pine between Summerlin on the west and Hyer on the east. North side of the street.

View looking from west to east....

eastpine01.png

View looking from east to west....

eastpine02.png

The 2nd one from the left in the top photo (palm trees in front) is wood framed, the rest are all prefab concrete tilt-up. The property appraiser's website says concrete block. The wood framed unit was the last to go up and may have been built by a different company as about a year or so elapsed between when the tilt-ups were finished and the wood frame went up.

Edited by JFW657
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, JFW657 said:

It's the 700 block of East Pine between Summerlin on the west and Hyer on the east. North side of the street.

View looking from west to east....

eastpine01.png

View looking from east to west....

eastpine02.png

The 2nd one from the left in the top photo (palm trees in front) is wood framed, the rest are all prefab concrete tilt-up. The property appraiser's website says concrete block. The wood framed unit was the last to go up and may have been built by a different company as out a year or so elapsed between when the tilt-ups were finished and the wood frame went up.

Ah yes I remember when the green one went up for sale after the last market crash. Never knew they were tilt-up, but I got a little turned around after misreading three of the four two-story houses as "4 story houses". But now it makes sense why I've always been attracted to those homes. Even though they're a bit out of character they are really sturdy looking. I wonder why tilt-up construction isn't more commonly used for single family homes.

• 2 weeks later...