Orange & Robinson Apartments | 11-story residential [Under Construction]

Jernigan

12 hours ago, orange87 said:

Excuse me for thinking the OP knew what he was talking about with the title of this thread.

Ha don’t bring me into this.   Building stats change a lot and this board doesn’t allow OP to modify subject.

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 4:41 AM, Jerry95 said:

This building is 11 stories, and has provisions for ground floor retail on the northeast corner

Meh ground floor retail on the far corner as opposed to the corner closest to the CBD.  Still angry about this one.

• Like 1

Ruined a perfectly good surface parking lot.  Bah.

I mean, who are you angry at?   The lot owners who weren't willing to wait just a few more decades for another offer?  The purchasers who worked out that the most profitable option given the cost of the land and the money they had to invest was an 11-story apartment? 

Edited by cwetteland
  • Haha 1

Well, at the very least this apartment is cleaning up a sketchy property that sat in a neglected state for many years. I can't tell you how many times homeless people have suddenly emerged from within and around that lot while I was next door using the ATM after hours. I always felt on edge, especially after learning a Bank of America customer was carjacked in the parking lot in broad daylight. (BOA's new digs located in the former Suntrust building feels much more secure, plus they have a parking garage attendant.)

Hopefully this project spurs further redevelopment of neighboring properties on both sides of Orange Ave, because that strip really needs it. Speaking of which, I wonder what ever happened to plans for the "interactive pocket park" across the street next to Seacoast Bank:

Video:

D55QQ7A4CVHEJLOL6P43OKMXYM.jpg

Edited by nite owℓ
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, nite owℓ said:

Well, at the very least this apartment is cleaning up a sketchy property that sat in a neglected state for many years. I can't tell you how many times homeless people have suddenly emerged from within and around that lot while I was next door using the ATM after hours. I always felt on edge, especially after learning a Bank of America customer was carjacked in the parking lot in broad daylight. (BOA's new digs located in the former Suntrust building feels much more secure, plus they have a parking garage attendant.)

Hopefully this project spurs further redevelopment of neighboring properties on both sides of Orange Ave, because that strip really needs it. Speaking of which, I wonder what ever happened to plans for the "interactive pocket park" across the street next to Seacoast Bank:

Just another in a long line of proposed downtown Orlando improvements that faded away quietly into the ether.....  

Maybe the Bermuda Triangle got it.

3 hours ago, cwetteland said:

Ruined a perfectly good surface parking lot.  Bah.

I mean, who are you angry at?   The lot owners who weren't willing to wait just a few more decades for another offer?  The purchasers who worked out that the most profitable option given the cost of the land and the money they had to invest was an 11-story apartment? 

Are you saying the country's largest multi-family REIT worth many billions and is doing this project in cash would have not been able to make the finances work if they were required to do retail like the law says?

26 minutes ago, dcluley98 said:

Perhaps the country's largest multi-family REIT realizes that there is an oversupply of retail space downtown.  

Or, more precisely, an oversupply of *badly allocated* retail space downtown.

Think about it - in the pre mall days when downtown was THE shopping district in town, 95% of the retailers were clustered right along Orange Ave. from Jefferson St. to Church St. The anchors, Sears, Penney, Ivey’s and Dickson & Ives, were clumped even more closely.

In the mall era and the downtown redo, there was a cluster of independent shops along with the dime stores on Orange from Pine to Church and then greatly expanded around the corner with the Church Street Market and The Exchange.

It’s probably not a bad idea to follow past success as our model going forward.

Edited by spenser1058

1 hour ago, orange87 said:

I was driving around downtown a couple days ago, and I was surprised that this project is having quite an impact from various angles despite being so short. It's probably because that area is so barren.

It will do wonders for the visual appearance at street level. 

• Like 1